“Easter break 2013”

Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel
Ranked #37 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We have stayed at Bay hotels on several occasions now so know that it is an enjoyable budget break, however we were very disappointed with both our room and mother and fathers room, we knew that the Majestic was dated but the rooms were dirty especially the shower rooms, both not just one, we complained and offered another room, deja vu but worse both bathrooms were terrible with stains on bath and floor you could not contemplate using, another trip to reception and eventually after some negotiation we were offered another room each, these were passable, not brilliant ,but after the other two acceptable.
Due to a long journey and the disappointment of the rooms we were a bit deflated but for the rest of the break the hotels lounge and amenities made for a relaxing and comfortable stay, the service at meals was very good under the very capable Mario, the food was better than other stays at Bay hotels, the entertainment was very good and the location was fine.
Relaxing stay, but the rooms do need freshening up they look tired and dirty, however we would probably stay again as such good value.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
tracey_moores, General Manager at Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

Hi Steve E
Thanks for your comments I will make sure both Mario and our chef get some praise. I am glad to see we got things sorted for you on arrival and you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure I look in to your other comments and see what we can get done. I hope to see you again .

Reviewed 2 April 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Majestic for four nights 25th to 29th March 2013. We drove to the hotel from kent to avoid feeder coaches etc.
On arrival we found check in very smooth and friendly. There is only a very small lift which with my wife who is quite slim and suitcase left no room for me, so I had to walk up to the 3rd floor. We were in room 319. The room was quite roomy but I will agree with others that allthough the room looked clean it could do with a deep clean around edges lampshades and between radiators etc. The curtains had mould on he bottom. The bathroom was clean apart from mould around the bottom of the shower base. Generally the room was warm and comfortable allthough the floorboards do creak a bit.. The food cannot be faulted at all. The food was hot , choice was very good and the service very quick. Contrary to other reviews we thought the breakfast sausages were very good and we have tried some in our time. The four free drinks per person per day were a very good addition. If you deduct the real cost of the free drinks from the overall price and add the fact that it is half board then it is extremely good value for money. The entertainment was what can be expected for the age group catered for. The entertainers work very hard and should be given a medal for what they do.
In general we enjoyed our break away at this hotel, but I think that its the overal room cleaning that needs the most attention. We would choose this hotel again

Hi GROBAG
Thanks for your review I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to pass on your great comments to both our chef and our entertainers. I will look in to all the points you raise and ensure something is done about them. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I rang to national number at Shearings to book car parking at £5 per day in advance on Weds before Easter weekend and was told I was too late to do this as they only held a certain number of spaces that they could allocate. I was told to ask the Majestic Hotel directly at Bournemouth and I was given the hotel telephone number to do this. When I rang the hotel I got a stroppy receptionist who said she couldn't do anything as she didn't have the information from the head office - waste of two telephone calls for me! Put me right off before I even get there!
Ruth from Rochdale

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Ruth67187069
tracey_moores, General Manager at Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Hi Ruth67187069
Well this is a first, a review before you even arrived at the hotel. As you said we only have a limited number of parking spaces here at the hotel and when you called our head office you were to late we had sold out. When you called the hotel and asked the same question you were given the same answer. I am sorry if you felt we let you down in some way or came across as unfriendly as on this occasion we were unable to help you.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

spent w/end 15-18th march here travelled with 7 friends for 60,s w/end.from yorkshire. The rooms were clean,tidy & warm, as was the rest of the hotel. the food was good, entertainment 3 nights was excellent. Coach trip to southampton on sat. went into bournemouth on sun. bus stop just round corner buses every 5 mins. If you have mobility problems choose a low floor as the lift is small only takes 2 people. All the staff were very polite & helpful. we found the worthingtons fine, a nice pint, but some other shearings hotels not so good. All in all a great w/end. for 109 pound. will definitely come again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank yorkshire b
tracey_moores, General Manager at Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2013

Hi yorkshire b
Fantastic thanks for your great comments I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our excellent bus service here in Bournemouth. I will make sure I pass your comments on to the staff and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

This review relates to a 4 day/3 night 60's Caberate weekend at a cost of £119pp. The entertainment was fine, Elvis impersonator, Mersey sound band, and a Single Artist, there was a pre pinted Quiz, plus optinal Bingo each evening. Food was fine, 3 choices on each course for Dinner, plus a good selection for Breakfast. Whilst the weather was rather cold and windy the Hotel was warm, with plenty of hot water in the room. Staff were friendly and helpful. The bed was very comfy. However we were rather disappointed over the standard of cleaning in the bedroom. The room needed a good deep clean, there was 'old' dust on all the scurting boards, sockets, and door moundings. But the area that needed the most attention was the bathroom. Whilst the sink, bath and toilet were clean, there was an un-acceptable amount of MOULD on the wall, pipe work, window frame and curtain. This was brought to the managers and housekeepers attention. They were amazed and apologised. Also the shower screen didn't fit and the bath room flooded when having a shower. All of this was to be fixed ASAP after our departure.
Bar prices were typical hotel prices £3.35 for a pint of Blackthorn, & £3.90 for a double spirit. Would we go again, not sure the bathroom put us off.

2  Thank TweenUK2003

Hi TweenUK2003
Thanks for great comments about the staff and the entertainment I will certainly pass them on to the staff. I remember talking to you about your room and the points you raised are now resolved. We did have a new room attendant looking after your room and extra training has now been done. This accompanied with a review of our checking procedures should ensure this does not happen again as you say it’s unacceptable. I do hope you do decide to come and see us again and if you give me a call I am always happy to chat with you about any concerns you may have and ensure your stay is a pleasant one.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

My husband and I recently booked a 5 day holiday to this hotel. The coach was full from our area so we did a self drive. When we arrived we did not get the allocated 4 free drinks, car parking was charged at £5 per day and if we wanted to go on the daily tours on the coach( which there were a few ) we had to pay £15 per person. The price of our holiday was the same for the coach as the self drive but it cost us at least £80 more plus the drinks package and our fuel to get there and back which was £50
. We complained to Shearings but never got a reply. Be warned if you cannot get on the coach DO NOT self drive.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank happytravellers066

Hi happytravellers066
Thanks for your comments we have many holiday packages on sale all the time some include drinks vouchers some don’t. If you’re not sure give us a call as we are always willing to advise and help where we can. We only have a limited amount of car parking spaces here at the hotel and we do offer guests the opportunity to pre book one of these spaces before they arrive for £5 a day as you say. It is very popular and does away with the worry of having to pay on arrival or find street parking.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Hi we booked a two night stay at this hotel last weekend. It was cheap and this was reflected in the quality of various things.
1. The breakfast buffet was a joke, assorted cereals and prunes and grapefruit. No sign of the yogurts or anything else. Fruit juice was the worst ever, straight out of a carton with a bit added from the tap.
2. The full english comprised of one egg(Cant go wrong with an egg really). one very undercooked hash brown, a single rash of bacon, eight baked beans and what was supposed to be a cumberland sausage( Think 90%was connective tissue and ten % sawdust), Seriously the worst breakfast Ive ever been served.Oh and cold toast.
3. Ever tried watching the six nations rugby on a 16'' old TV. forget it. Even in the TV lounge the TV was only 27''.
4 No complimentary toiletries, I mean in this day and age of rising hotel standards, why no complimentary tioletries. A good job Bournemouth has a wilkinsons.
5. The noise from loose floorboards from adjacent rooms was unbearable, both nights we hardly slept due the comings and goings of people and creaking floorboards.
6. The cost of drinks at the bar. £3.30 for a pint of rapidly poured Wortingtons. Note to the management: Please get your grumpy bar staff trained on how to pour the perfect pint. I wouldnt grumble so much if that £3.30 went towards a decent pint.
7. I twice had to ask for a clean cup for tea in the morning at breakfast, as the ones on the table were dirty, one with ladies lipstick on from the day before. Note to managment: Please buy your dishwasher a new brush. (Wilkinsons in bournemouth 99P).
8. Finally, what I always judge a good hotel on, you guessed its the quality of the loo rolls. Wafer thin one hard ply loo roll. I mean what does a decent two ply roll cost these days.Note to management: Shop in Wilkinsons, just round the corner, give your customers some little thing to smile about.

On the plus side, yes there is one, the hotel was very clean and well presented. Car parking on site cost £5.00 per day.

4  Thank supersel110

Hi supersel110
Thanks for your comments I have taken them on board and will relook at all the points you have raised. As for TV’s we have a load on order and they will be here in may we do however have 2 TV rooms and the Larger room has a 40” LCD with bar service when big games are being shown. We do always aim to deliver first class service and value for money. Thank you once again for your comments i will use them to see where we can make improvements.