“Excellent long weekend in friendly hotel”

Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel
Ranked #37 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Just returned from a great weekend with friends and partner at this hotel. The hotel is clean, the staff generally friendly and attentive and the food was well above average for a budget hotel. The location is good too with good transport links into Bournemouth. Alternatively, if you feel fit, you could walk - not too far. I would definitely recommend this Shearings hotel!

Room Tip: Some rooms (301 in particular) have very squeaky floorboards - try and avoid! Also, some rooms tend...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
tracey_moores, General Manager at Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Hi awesome_oracle
Thanks for your great review I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our 1st class bus service here in Bournemouth. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

We have just got back from a week away staying at the majestic. What a great place to stay, our room was very clean, the bathroom was great one of the best l have seen in a hotel with shearings. The entertainment that we went to was very good something for everyone, food was good. We would go back today if we could.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mygems
tracey_moores, General Manager at Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

Hi mygems
Fantastic give us a call when you want to come again not only can you book directly with us but this has the advantage of you being able to give us your special requests directly and If you liked the room you were in last time just tell us and we will try and allocate you the same room again.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

My husband and I had a lovely weekend at the Majestic - 15th - 18th March. It was billed as a 60's Weekend. With three nights of great entertainment, Adam Carter as 'Elvis', the Mersey Echoes and local artiste Gray Taylor guitarist! They were all excellent couldn't have wished for better music the whole weekend, between them they covered just about everything from the 60's.

On arrival we were given a warm welcome from Paula and the manager Tracey Moores, We had previously contacted the hotel to arrange a room with a walk-in shower as I am disabled and a table in the dining room with not too far to walk, all this had been done. Room very suitable for us with its walk-in shower, clean and bright.

The restaurant service was very good as was the quality of the food and the choices available! If I could add a slight criticism it would be the surly looks on the faces of the bar staff, not used to this and was a bit off-putting, they need to be more welcoming, a smile would help!

In the evenings before the Caberet there was always a Quiz and Bingo followed by disco dancing.
We feel this was one of the best weekends we have had at any Shearings Hotel and do hope that the Majestic have another similar three night weekend very soon.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early avoid rooms over the ballroom.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JacyBee

Hi JacyBee
Fantastic I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and as you say the 60s weekend was a huge success. I think we are planning a 70s weekend in the autumn so feel free to contact us and enquire about dates. You did the right thing contacting us before your arrival with your requests it not only makes our life easier but helps us meet your needs when you arrive. I will make sure I pass on all your great comments to my staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 6 April 2013

We have stayed at Bay hotels on several occasions now so know that it is an enjoyable budget break, however we were very disappointed with both our room and mother and fathers room, we knew that the Majestic was dated but the rooms were dirty especially the shower rooms, both not just one, we complained and offered another room, deja vu but worse both bathrooms were terrible with stains on bath and floor you could not contemplate using, another trip to reception and eventually after some negotiation we were offered another room each, these were passable, not brilliant ,but after the other two acceptable.
Due to a long journey and the disappointment of the rooms we were a bit deflated but for the rest of the break the hotels lounge and amenities made for a relaxing and comfortable stay, the service at meals was very good under the very capable Mario, the food was better than other stays at Bay hotels, the entertainment was very good and the location was fine.
Relaxing stay, but the rooms do need freshening up they look tired and dirty, however we would probably stay again as such good value.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Hi Steve E
Thanks for your comments I will make sure both Mario and our chef get some praise. I am glad to see we got things sorted for you on arrival and you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure I look in to your other comments and see what we can get done. I hope to see you again .

Reviewed 2 April 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Majestic for four nights 25th to 29th March 2013. We drove to the hotel from kent to avoid feeder coaches etc.
On arrival we found check in very smooth and friendly. There is only a very small lift which with my wife who is quite slim and suitcase left no room for me, so I had to walk up to the 3rd floor. We were in room 319. The room was quite roomy but I will agree with others that allthough the room looked clean it could do with a deep clean around edges lampshades and between radiators etc. The curtains had mould on he bottom. The bathroom was clean apart from mould around the bottom of the shower base. Generally the room was warm and comfortable allthough the floorboards do creak a bit.. The food cannot be faulted at all. The food was hot , choice was very good and the service very quick. Contrary to other reviews we thought the breakfast sausages were very good and we have tried some in our time. The four free drinks per person per day were a very good addition. If you deduct the real cost of the free drinks from the overall price and add the fact that it is half board then it is extremely good value for money. The entertainment was what can be expected for the age group catered for. The entertainers work very hard and should be given a medal for what they do.
In general we enjoyed our break away at this hotel, but I think that its the overal room cleaning that needs the most attention. We would choose this hotel again

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi GROBAG
Thanks for your review I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to pass on your great comments to both our chef and our entertainers. I will look in to all the points you raise and ensure something is done about them. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I rang to national number at Shearings to book car parking at £5 per day in advance on Weds before Easter weekend and was told I was too late to do this as they only held a certain number of spaces that they could allocate. I was told to ask the Majestic Hotel directly at Bournemouth and I was given the hotel telephone number to do this. When I rang the hotel I got a stroppy receptionist who said she couldn't do anything as she didn't have the information from the head office - waste of two telephone calls for me! Put me right off before I even get there!
Ruth from Rochdale

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Ruth67187069

Hi Ruth67187069
Well this is a first, a review before you even arrived at the hotel. As you said we only have a limited number of parking spaces here at the hotel and when you called our head office you were to late we had sold out. When you called the hotel and asked the same question you were given the same answer. I am sorry if you felt we let you down in some way or came across as unfriendly as on this occasion we were unable to help you.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

spent w/end 15-18th march here travelled with 7 friends for 60,s w/end.from yorkshire. The rooms were clean,tidy & warm, as was the rest of the hotel. the food was good, entertainment 3 nights was excellent. Coach trip to southampton on sat. went into bournemouth on sun. bus stop just round corner buses every 5 mins. If you have mobility problems choose a low floor as the lift is small only takes 2 people. All the staff were very polite & helpful. we found the worthingtons fine, a nice pint, but some other shearings hotels not so good. All in all a great w/end. for 109 pound. will definitely come again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank yorkshire b
tracey_moores, General Manager at Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2013

Hi yorkshire b
Fantastic thanks for your great comments I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our excellent bus service here in Bournemouth. I will make sure I pass your comments on to the staff and we look forward to seeing you again soon.