“Very good on customer service, especially for children” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avalon Beach Hotel

Avalon Beach Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bournemouth
Avalon Beach Hotel
Ranked #56 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Sussex, UK
“Very good on customer service, especially for children”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

The Avalon is two houses turned into a hotel, but I think the description some reviewers have made that it feels more like a guest house is fair. It is also quite a step from Bournemouth - too far to walk unless you are really keen on long walks, so you would need to drive or take a bus. It is close to the beach and had we had some half decent weather in July, we would have been sunbathing on the sands.
We booked a room with a kitchenette, which was fine as we wanted some pasta/ light salad suppers and there is a Co-op and Tesco Express ten minutes walk away. The room was clean, roomy and comfortable. Parking was not a problem - there are spaces in front of the hotel and on the road.
The strength of the hotel is in the owner, Paul's attitude to his guests. He is very keen to give good service, and this shows clearly at breakfast time. He engaged with all the guests, and talked to the chilgren as individuals, not through their parents, offering to get them any combination of breakfast foods they liked and not getting impatient when they couldn't make up their minds! Our breakfasts were generous and the quality was excellent. We came as a couple but could see that the hotel was keen to be genuinely family friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia54a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

This is a lovely littel boutique type hotel. My husband and I had a 3 night stay in October and stayed in the room Guinevere. The rooms are light and airy and spotlessly clean. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was lovely and set us up for the day. I loved the coffee machine!!! We were made to feel very welcome by Paul the owner and Olga who were very hospitable and kind. Paul even invited us to Sunday lunch as his guests which we very much appreciated. Thank you Paul!! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. We are not ones to stay in large hotels as you never receive the personal service, we much prefer to do our research and pick a small and friendly place to stay both in this country and abroad. This place is definately on our list and we will be making a return visit. Keep up the personal and friendly service Paul it works........

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AuntieLen
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We had a very happy family holiday here.
Easy parking, great for shops, great for beach, big welcome.
Children loved feeding the rabbits.
Big room. Cosy and warm.
Relaxed and informal atmosphere.
Nice breakfast.
Loved the coffee machine.
10/10

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank PiersUK
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We visted the hotel at the beginning of summer. When I first arrived at the house, I asked if we could book a table for dinner to be told that there was no chef working that night. This meant that we had to make alternative plans with two young children - and although it was explained to us that the chef had been working hard and needed some time off, I feel that if they offer dinner on their website, they should make alternative plans when their chef has time off. Alternatively, it should have been pointed out to us before our arrival or a note to that effect on the website. We returned to the hotel after 8 pm and asked if we could use the baby-listening service but we were advised that they only had one machine and it had broken. Obviously we were disappointed to learn this - I had carried out a lot of research into finding a suitable hotel for our needs and the website clearly states baby listening service. We asked if we could have a drink from the bar and we were told that she was just finishing for the evening but that she could get us one drink. There is no other facility at the 'hotel' to have a drink in the evening (hot, soft or alcoholic). At this stage we realised that Avalon is more of a Guest House than hotel.
There are, however, lots of pluses about Avalon and we will definitely return. The outdoor play area is small but perfect for little children. Paul is very friendly and helpful. I think it was Olga who greeted us on the Sunday morning and she is very personable (Paul was getting stressed in the kitchen - my son's boiled egg had to be sent back twice because the white was runny/clear - it came out right in the end, after 40 minutes (but no apology) - I got the feeling Paul was stressed and so was I ... my 1 year old had run out of patience and could no longer sit in his chair and my 5 year old was getting fidgety. The hotel is immaculate and tastefully furnished. The communal lounge with dvd is relaxing and a perfect place to unwind (as we found out when the baby monitor was fixed for the Saturday night - although we did have to ask for it again on the Saturday and fortunately Clare and the chef managed to get it working). Nice little touches like faces drawn on the children's boiled eggs, friendly staff, but I feel that they need to be consistent with what they offer as a hotel. I was singing the hotel's praises to some other guests who visit regularly and they commented that the food used to be excellent but is just average now.
I would definitely recommend Avalon but would suggest that you don't expect the same experiece as you would at a hotel. I am sure these quirks that we suffered were a one-off as most people who visit Avalon rate it 5*, and we will definitely go back.
If you looking for somewhere to eat in the evening, we ended up going to Reef which is a lovely modern restaurant in Boscombe which serves fresh fish and has stunning sea views.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Fluffs_11
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

My sister and I took my elderly mother away for a few days break at the end of September 2011 and the Avalon Beach Hotel looked good. When I telephoned to book I was offered rooms on the first floor, but when I explained my mother is 96 years old and disabled I was immediately offered adjoining rooms on the ground floor. As the owner was away at the time of our visit we were looked after mainly by Olga and she seemed to go out of her way to make us welcome and comfortable.
Dinner was very good with different choices each evening. The breakfast menu was also good.
The bedrooms were clean, spacious and comfortable.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and we will definitely be booking again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Barbara J
Leceistershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

It pains me to write a negative review, however i was bitterly disappointed with our Avalon Beach Hotel experience. It was reading all the positive reviews that made my mind up to book this hotel, however our experience did not mirror what we had previously read.
Firstly a family room on the top floor of the building (with no lift) with a 7mth baby and 3 year old didn't really suit our needs (wish we had been informed when we rang to book)
We paid £130 for the family room to be greated with having to put our own travel cot together. The hotel boasts an excellent food service in particular childrens meals which after we arrived (bareing in mind you can't book in until 4pm) has to be ordered before 4pm on the day - how does that work? When i rushed down to the kitchen at 4.40, i was told that the chef wasn't working that evening - something we weren't informed of when we arrived.
Breakfast experience again was not the best with the waitress mistakingly tipping a glass of juice over our three year old and not offering him a replacement meal however instead telling him to eat up (with plate swimming in cranberry juice) so he could go and see the rabbits.
The house is tastefully decorated and is extremely clean and we really wouldn't have been as picky, however when you are paying £130 for one evening you expect top service and facilities and they just weren't there. Which is why we really think the Avalon is nothing more than a Guest House and is falsely advertsing itself.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank NickyLeceistershire
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed at the Avalon Beach hotel whilst we were in Bournemouth for a wedding.

We were checked into the hotel very quickly and shown to our room. We stayed in Arthur. Arthur was very comfortable - the bed was wonderful, the room and en-suite spacious and I also like that their was a little sofa there.

Beakfast was fantastic - my eggs benedict were delicious and my husbands egg and smoked salmon was lovely too. There was plenty of cereals, juice, fruit etc.

The owner is very friendly and was always around. Sitting in the lounge area for a chat if you wanted which I felt was a lovely touch.

I will certainly be back to this hotel in the future. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2011