“overnight”

The Fairmount Hotel
Ranked #116 of 134 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I only stayed here overnight and booked the room through laterooms.com.
I have to say I wasn't expecting much as I paid so little but the room was lovely. The hotel is a dated and the carpets could do with a bit of a shampoo but you can overlook that as the room was clean and the bed very comfy.
The hotel owner/manager? was really nice. Friendly and happy to help.
Give it a whirl.. see what you think x

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed at this so called hotel with my family. If I had not paid upfront before being handed the key I would have driven to another hotel whatever the cost. On opening the door of our room it was so small the carpet was filthy, the plug socket near the table lamp was hanging off the wall. In the bathroom the toilet seat was hanging off and we were provided with one towel that bearly fitted round your body. The toilet window didnt even shut so there was a safety issue at night and during the day. At night it was rowdy as people were laughing and shouting at the top of their voices and banging doors. Overall I have to say I was glad to get out of there and come home.

Room Tip: I cannot see there being one
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2013

7 of us booked a room for one night for a work night out, after reading tripadvisor comments we were all a bit worried about the night but we were massively impressed with everything exactly what you pay for! Would defiantly return... Infact we are already planning it!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel last night and found it not be as bad as I expected. Yes it's not amazing but for the price you can't go wrong. Convenient location, Powerful shower, Comfy bed, Spacious, tea and coffee making facilities and hd tv. Cheap and cheerful! The stains on the carpet are not too much to grumble about. If you want a cheap trip to the seaside it's perfect! Also free parking is within walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The pictures are of how the place once looked MANY, MANY years ago. Room 6 made smaller with use of petition wall for Room 5. Filthy carpets, ill-fitting curtains (no nets or blinds), no blinds on bathroom window (slightly frosted glass, but you are still visable from the outside).
Apart from two single beds imitating a double bed and a single bed (two feet away) pushed up against the bay window and a small table for kettle and cups, none of the advertised furnishings existed.

Bar was constantly used as a laundry room (steam pressing sheets).

Advert implies price is Bed & Breakfast per room. Confirmation email says food not included. Payment demanded on arrival.

Room Tip: Unless you are backpacking, this ?Hotel/B&B/??????? is ok. Booked through Booking.com, on infor...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have never felt it necessary to write a bad review for a hotel before but in this instance I will make an exception. I wrote with my complaints to the hotel but as they did not have the decency to reply I thought I would air my views here.

My husband and I had the misfortune to stay in room 5 and I have to say that it was definitely the worst hotel room we have ever stayed in. Every guest has a front door key allowing them access to the property throughout the night - the property is left unattended leaving the raucous guests unsupervised and free to behave in a disgraceful manner. From about 1 a.m. until at least 5 a.m. we were kept awake by foul mouthed, drunken yobs running up and down the stairs and banging doors. If my husband and I had not had a drink we would most definitely have left and driven home.

The room itself is sparsely furnished, there are no drinking glasses in the bathroom, no extractor fan and access to the shower, which ran at a pathetic dribble, would be impossible for a larger person. We had to keep the curtain closed due to the close proximity of the other hotel whose windows looked directly into our room.

If you want a decent nights sleep then stay somewhere else!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anon752
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We booked this 'hotel' in a bit of a rush online, and admittedly should have taken a bit more time to check out reviews before booking. We quickly learned our lesson there.

Firstly, this is not a hotel, it's a large bed and breakfast, and I would not recommend it. Although the staff were fairly friendly, (one of the only good points about the hotel) the room was poor quality and overpriced. Over the years my girlfriend and I have collectively stayed in everything from high class hotels, to b&bs, hostels, and a number of budget hotels, so although we were not expecting five star quality here, we were still surprised at the lack of decent basics which anyone calling themselves a hotel should provide.

In our room ( a double), the double bed was made of two single beds pushed together; the carpet was stained and dirty in places; there was no wardrobe or even a rail to hang our clothes on, instead there was a third single bed which we used as a desk to leave our bags and clothes on; the room was dusty in places; the walls had stains in places (especially on the plug switches); the shower was well underpowered; there was no towel rail in the bathroom; the toilet was not even bolted to the floor, which meant that it moved when we sat on it, which could easily cause a nasty (and smelly) leak from the pipes; and the sink leaked from its base. On the plus side: the bathroom was clean; the bedsheets were clean; and the beach is only a few minutes walk away.

We saw the bar area, which consists of a tiny bar, a couple of tables and a vending machine, however in the mornings there were cleaners in there using clothes pressing machines to iron out the bedsheets, which left little room for anyone to eat breakfast (not that we ever saw anyone eating in there, and we certainly didn't want to).

We were only in the Fairmount to sleep and get washed, and spent the rest of the time enjoying our holiday, therefore the poor quality of the 'hotel' didn't affect us that much, but when you pay for a hotel you expect to have the basics covered, and that is where the fairmount falls well short, and my main reason for writing this review is to help prevent people making the mistake of staying there like we did. The walls do not keep out sound well, which could be a problem for families with young kids in particular.

We wanted to stay in Bournemouth longer, so we found a proper hotel only 30 seconds along the street, which we checked out first before paying, and spent the rest of our holiday there for only a slightly higher price per person.

As we left the Fairmount, we told the guy at reception about the problems with the room and he just said that they are a budget hotel, and that people don't usually stay long there, so the lack of wardrobe doesn't bother them. He did say he'd get the maintenance person to look at the other problems.

Overall I would not recommend this place to anyone, especially as there are much better places to stay for a similar price in the same area. Shop around folks, if you're on a budget you can still get better quality than this.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple