“A smashing gem of a hotel on the seafront!”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #64 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“A smashing gem of a hotel on the seafront!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We first stayed in the Balmoral Hotel in April this year. We were looking at getting married on the beach and we booked it due to its competitive price (due to ongoing refurbishment) and good trip advisor reviews. To us, the most important thing we look for in a review is cleanliness, good service and location. The Balmoral Hotel scored highly on all accounts. It was explained up front (and apparent in reviews) that the hotel is going through some considerable refurbishment which is evident given that rooms are tired but very, very clean, with crisp bed linen and bright white towels. Breakfast was excellent, full English with cereals, yoghurts and fruit supplied.

The absolute delight of this hotel is its location. You are located right near the seafront, with a short walk down the road to the cliff top (with steps/lift down to the beach) and the town centre. You are nowhere near any hotels that house the stag and hen parties, and we found the location quiet in relation to where it is situated.

We were impressed with this up and coming hotel so much that we have decided when we get married in Bournemouth next June we want us and our guests to stay here. On our second visit last weekend, we have seen the second bedroom that is being refurbished and to be honest, we are very excited about spending our special weekend here. The television room and bar areas are so quaint and yes, they've had issues with water leaks, but the grandeur of the place speaks volumes of what it will be one day with the TLC it is receiving.

So if you are thinking of staying here, read the reviews. It's a great place but don't insult the owners by moaning about the rooms because you have been forewarned. If you actually get to know Margaret, she will tell you the story about buying the hotel and the dreams she has for it. We can't wait to visit again! :)

Andrew and Jayne (and girls!)

Room Tip: If you prefer a bath or shower, please ask at booking as some rooms don't have both.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jayne W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We needed a family room for 1 night close to the BIC for a concert - our room was on the 1st floor at the rear of the building so no view - the room was very tired and the bathroom had no shower although a shower cap was provided. - it was a cold room and the lighting was very dim. There was a tray with tea/coffe and 2 cups although we were a party of 3. Breakfast was very nice although it was just warm food on a hot plate. Staff were friendly enough but considering how dated the rooms and lounge/bar areas are I thought it was very overpriced.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Juls_47_girlie
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

It was my mis fortune to book a twin room recently in May 2014 for my friend and I to stay for 2 nights. At the time of booking, I explained that as I was travelling over 250 miles to see my son complete his final year at Bournemouth University and that it was very important to me to have a nice room/ break.. Being a single parent, for many years and working fulltime, breaks are few and far between.

I spoke to Margaret, who said that she was the co owner of the Balmoral along with her sister Denise. Margaret gave me her reassurance that whilst all the refurbished rooms had gone, she would put me on the list should one become available. I was told that these rooms were an extra 20 per night making a total of £250 for the two nights. Margaret said that the price for the rooms that were not refurbished were £210 for the 2 nights. Margaret assured me that these rooms were clean and comfortable.

I was contacted by the hotel 2 days to my arrival to say that I had been given an up grade to a refurbished room (room 36)

When I arrived at the hotel as I was early I was allowed to wait for my room to be ready in the lounge/TV area. The room/ decor was old and of a poor standard with rain pouring into a bucket near the window. A member of staff explained that the windows were due to be replaced but they had only got chance to make the front of the Hotel water tight. I was then shortly offered my room and told it was to be room 7. This room was not a refurbished room with stains and paint on the carpets, and iron marks as though people had been ironing there clothes on the floor. The room in my opinion was dated, unclean, sparse is not fit for purpose. The owners explain this in their welcome pack asking people staying there to "bear with us". This maybe accepatable to certain people if the room prices reflected this but clearly at £105 a night, do not.

When my friend arrived we were shown by the Margaret the owner a refurbished room (room 36) to shown us what we "could have had". Margaret went on to describe the room that I had been offered as "grotty" and that she hoped that myself and my friend would return to try one of the "nice rooms" as the refurbished rooms were the standard of which she and her sister Denise found acceptable. When I explained to Margaret that I had received a call from a member of her staff (Michelle) saying that I was to be offered room 36, Margaret, initially denied that the call had taken place.
Margaret then back traked on what she had said saying that she knew that I had been offered the refurbished room and that a memeber of her staff had made a "big mistake " and would be reprimanded.
When I explained to Margaret that both myself and my friend were not happy with the room and would like a refund to enable us to seek alternative accomdation, Margaret initally agreed, before retracking her decision saying that she would need to speak to her sister. We were given an hour to seek alternative accomadation (not easy at a busy bank holiday weekend) and told to pack our bags before they would make a decision.
Margaret continued to try to goad and incite confrontation during the conversation was taking place.

Whilst packing our bags, we received a call from Margaret at reception to say that she was sooryfor the way that she had spoken to us and that she would give us a full refund.
As I tried to receive the refund, again, despite my efforts to calm the situation for myself and my distressed friend, Margaret continued to try to incite an argument, saying that "she had never meant anyone like me and that I belonged in the "archives".

I can only say that I found the whole episode very distressing and would advice anybody that was considering staying at this Hotel to check the rooms first before parting with any money

Room Tip: go for the refurbish rooms only, the other rooms are not fit for purpose. The owners explain this in...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank tracey w
Stratford upon Avon
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights B&B as wanted somewhere close to the seafront and centre. Location was great, just minutes from the Pier and BIC. The welcome from the ladies on the front desk was great, very hospitable and polite. You can see they are doing the hotel up, which will take some time due to its size. Sadly our room was really in need of refurbishing - the carpets, bathroom, walls were all old, dusty and grimy - the bathroom just fitted a toilet and bath in! However saying that the bed linen and pillows were fabulous, as was the breakfast - a lovely fry up and lots of cereals and fruit.

We found the gentleman running the hotel to be really rather hostile, challenging my partner and I in the car park whilst changing from going out for a surf (obviously thought we were taking advantage of the car park, not realising we were residents even though the car reg plate had been taken on checking in). Also please note that if you are out later than midnight to inform the hotel so they can let you in - even though on the info in the room it states that there is a key on your room tab that lets you in the front door - there wasn't. At 1.30am, the gentleman hotelier pointed at a sign stating to leave your keys behind if going out later than midnight. Slightly contradictory notices within the hotel.

All in all we did have a nice stay and can see that in a year's time the hotel could be fantastic.

Room Tip: Although we didn't have one - the sea view rooms looked great!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
kent
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed for a weekend. The hotel was very nice, and the staff were very helpful and welcoming. Was very pleased when I was offered a vegatarien breakfast after I ordered the full english without the bacon and sausage. The breakfast was great. The hotel was clean and the room was a nice size with a great view of the sea. It's close to the town, within walking distance, would definately go there again.

Room Tip: 23 had a lovely view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I been Balmoral hotel in Bournemouth last week for 2 night with my family and my daughter assistant hearing dog
We all love the place
So friendly.
We did ask them to book again for next Saturday but unfortunately they are fully booked.
Trust me one you go you can see specialy the location is the best nice see view
And the owner is the best so kind and friendly

• Stayed May 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff, clean hotel,excellent location, recommend it would be going back for our break we even had a registered assistant dog with us which was welcomed , lovely sea view , has a very big car park, it benefits from having an elevator in the building

Stayed May 2014