“Making progress”

and 1 more site!
Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #51 of 131 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2014

First of all the staff very friendly, attentive and helpful.
However, like a lot of other reviewers, we felt that the hotel was tired and jaded. The new owners have obviously taken on a major task to bring this hotel back to its former splendour. Its location could not be better - 5 mins to the beach and pier, and 10 minutes to the central gardens, which are a lovely and lively route to the town centre, Plenty of private parking behind the hotel. Fireworks on the pier on Saturday night which can be watched from the hotel bar balcony.
Food was anything up to a full English breakfast, and quickly served.
The room had been re-decorated and there was an en-suite shower room with toilet and basin. The toilet was squeezed in between the shower and wall with barely enough elbow room!
The furnishings were a mixture of new and old but sufficed.
The bar, lounge, television room and dining room need complete re-decoration but they will suffice while the bedrooms are refurbished.
I admire the owners for keeping the hotel open while so much is going on, and having to be done. Don't let the reviews put you off. This hotel can only get better, and I would stay again.

Room Tip: It's probably worth paying a bit extra to get a sea view room if you plan to spend a lot of time...

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I recently (July 2014) stayed at the Balmoral with my partner and parents. Upon arrival, we were greeted by an absolutely delightful lady (slightly older, light hair), she was extremely pleasant and clearly knows good customer service. We went to our rooms - there was a mix up with keys but this was rectified along with apologies.

The rooms. My parents had an amazing sea view room. It honestly was awesome, the room itself was a decent size for two people. My mum was disappointed it only had a shower as she prefers baths but that certainly wasn't a massive issue. My partner and I appear to have had a family room (double and a single bed). Much larger room, and large bathroom - with bath which has shower attachment. This room overlooked a bar opposite the entrance to the hotel. The rooms are fairly tired but this didn't really bother me for the prices we paid. My only issue with our room was the water! I turned the bath on, let it run... Freezing water. I turned it to shower as this is what I prefer. Eventually I got scalding water and the mixer wouldn't work! At this point I couldn't even get it to go back to freezing! I gave up and opted for a bath. Nope, the water wouldn't even come out of the tap!!!

After eventually giving up and rinsing in freezing water, we got dressed and went to the bar to meet my parents. The man on the bar (slightly older, I assume husband of lady on reception) wasn't too interested in serviing us, he didn't say much and it was all very awkward.

There was a guy watering flowers while we sat on the balcony with our drinks who was very chirpy and you could tell he loved gardening and genuinely seemed to want to make Balmoral the best hotel in the world! It was quite amusing to see someone this enthusiastic but he was lovely.

After our meal (elsewhere), we were passing the Balmoral and my mum went in to change her shoes. They'd been asked to leave keys in reception (we hadn't?) so she rang the bell and waited while I nipped to my room. When I got back down, she was still waiting and a queue was forming of bored looking people. The bar man eventually appeared - no real apology - and everyone could finally get on with their evenings!

At breakfast the next morning, we were served by the younger girl with dark hair (I assume daughter). She has the customer service skills of the older guy! Very rude. I requested no beans on my plate as I can't handle the smell and asked if I could have anything else in its place - I simply got no beans. She was not friendly so I really couldn't be bothered to mention it. I left the others at the table once we finished so I could go get ready (and have another fight with the bath/shower). I could hear the two women in reception talking about what sounded like breakfast, the younger of the two saying what she did wrong to various things. This is not a conversation to have in a public part of the hotel and certainly not that loudly!!!!!

The location is brilliant, a stones throw from the beach and town and lots of restaurants. There is also a private carpark with free parking. The area it is in is relatively quiet (you get passing people but there's no pumping music.)

Overall, with the exception of some lovely views and one person and the gardener knowing how to talk to customers, it was a disappointment. I know some people have moaned about the decor but let's be honest, quite a lot of hotels look like that and it isn't dirty!! If you can look past that, you will see it is a basic but kind of plesant space.

However, based on the staff and the shower, I wouldn't stay there again (unless it changed hands) and I probably wouldn't recommend it either.

Had it not been for the two 'bad' members of staff, I would have rated this a 3.5 out of 5 as I probably would have forgiven the shower problem as the second room seemed to have no issues.

2  Thank GemmaH23
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed for 1 night. Website booking very efficient. Friendly welcome and comfortable room, well equipped but no hairdryer and shower was an attachment on the bath so, with no shower screen/curtain you had to shower sitting in the bath which was OK for 1 night. Other rooms may have proper showers - check before booking but note the owners are slowly refurbishing the hotel so things are improving all the time. Breakfast was a choice of cereal/grapefruit seggies/ yogurt/fruit juice from the buffet followed by hearty english with smooth, efficient service for a room full of diners. Location is good - close to West Beach and easy walk into town (but hill coming back up (like most places in Bournemouth!). Large car park and no problem with leaving car there before room was ready or after we checked out which is very useful noting the cost of nearby car parks. Our room was not double glazed but no problem with traffic noise. Bar & lounge have great views out to sea. They don't do stag/hen parties or coach trips and I would definitely recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
2  Thank SailorUK
Reviewed 31 July 2014

stayed here again for the second time from the 11th july till the 13th july this time in a single room and once again had a lovely stay. The staff are the friendliest i have ever known at a hotel and made my stay really enjoyable. My room was lovely with a very comfortable bed and breakfast was delicious every morning. This is probably the nicest hotel to say at in Bournemouth and i will be returning next year from Leeds . Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Recently spent two nights here,with a seaview room, breakfast was pleasant with lots of variety from fruit juices, cereals, to a full English breakfast The bed was very comfortable as was my stay here would recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just spent a weekend in Bournemouth for a family event. Husband and 3 grandchildren in 2 very comfortable seaview family rooms. We arrived late, no problems with that and wakened to a fabulous breakfast. The children were in their element,great choice of cereals and juices followed by any sort of full English you could think of cooked to order. First class. Our beds were clean and comfy and nothing was too much trouble including an early breakfast on our departure day, thank you very much.
It is a bit of a hike back from the beach but it only costs 3 pounds in a taxi if you are too lazy,tired or old to do heartattack hill.

Room Tip: 20 or 21 facing the sea
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Only stayed one night but enjoyed my stay, room needed doing up but owners are revamping the rooms as they can do them
, bed very comfy , sea view excellent in room 7 , very quite even tho hotel was full , breakfast was lovely, staff are great and the owners are down to earth very friendly indeed all in all great stay and so close to every thing in bournmouth
One thing I will say I hope the old character of the hotel is not lost once revamp is done as there's so many lovely parts in there

Room Tip: Room 7 has a lovely sea view
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple