“Tasty Food But Disappointed”

Langtry's Restaurant
Ranked #190 of 811 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Langtry Manor was built in 1877 by Edward VII for his mistress Lillie Langtry. It was an extremely elegant and luxurious home and served as their hideaway and love nest. Following substantial re-development the Hotel is now one of Bournemouth’s finest and most welcoming hotels. Our staff pride themselves on their service and attention to detail and look forward to welcoming you to the peace, comfort and heritage of Langtry Manor.
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Firstly, I would have given the Langtry Manor Hotel 2.5 / 5 but as this is not possible have had to go with 2 as I feel that our visit does not warrant a score of 60%. The main reason for the low score is due to the Tea, the service that we received and the surroundings that we were in as opposed to the actual food.

I took my girlfriend here for a Cream Tea as part of her birthday treat and have to say that we won't be returning. Looking at the website, I had high hopes that we would be experiencing a 'Proper English Tea' but unfortunately came away with a feeling of disappointment.

At the time of writing this, the website for 'A Traditional Afternoon Tea' at the Langtry Manor Hotel states 'booking is essential' but in hindsight it wasn't essential for for my girlfriend and I as we were the only ones in there! Looking at some of the pictures on the website prior to booking I thought that we would be seated at smart looking tables with white table cloths and upright chairs instead of the low seated (but comfortable) sofas and dark wooden tables that we were given.

When paying fourteen pounds per head we were surprised to see the use of tea bags instead of proper tea leaves and a strainer as this is what we would consider to be more 'traditional' and part of the whole experience. The room we were placed in had various freebie magazines under all the tables and no background music playing so when you are the only ones in there (like we were) apart from the conversation between ourselves it was rather dull.

In fairness the sandwiches and cakes were very tasty and enjoyable although they did vary to the variety offered on the website so if you like a particular option I would check prior to booking. As well as being tasty there was plenty to go around and neither of us left hungry.

Once the food and tea was delivered into the room we were in, that was the last we saw of the waitress up until the time we both left the hotel and this is the biggest criticism of all. When you are paying £14.00 (which is inclusive of a cup of tea made from a tea bag) and are the only customers in the room, the least you would expect is for someone to come and see if everything is OK or if you would like a fresh pot, but sadly this didn't happen.

In my opinion a Traditional Cream Tea is inclusive of everything right from the tea itself to the surroundings that you enjoy it in and for my girlfriend and I, the Langtry Manor Hotel fell short. We will not be returning.

1  Thank Jimbofire

Reviewed 17 January 2014

After a long drive from Heathrow airport we decided to have dinner in the hotel as it was convenient. The food was okay, but nothing to rave about.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

if you like edwardian/victorian decor you'll like the restaurant. Portraits of Lilly on the walls. Food very good quality and staff very friendly. Expensive but good.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

brilliant - excellent food and first class service. Food well cooked and well presented. The staff were great - polite and courteous

Reviewed 27 December 2013

The food and atmosphere here were absolutely excellent. Staying in the hotel over Christmas, I had breakfast, lunch and dinner here. The food is all cooked to order and the kitchen can accommodate allergies. Various tables had families with young children and were accommodated. There is a wide selection including vegetarian options and I never once left hungry. The wine list offers good tasting wines at a variety of price points.
The service was always extremely friendly. During holiday periods, the non-standard staff is present, and while friendly, are only temporary and not as well-trained as the standard staff.
In all, the restaurant is highly recommended.