“I had to write a review as soon as I got home....”
Review of Blakes Restaurant

Blakes Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Blakes Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 778 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Price range: US$23 - US$46
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the garden, this hugely popular double rosette restaurant offers one of the best dining experiences available for visitors to Bournemouth and local residents alike. Offering a wide range of modern cuisine, the menu is inspired by the best of British and French food. Blakes has held its double rosette since 2011 and is very proud to also have been awarded with TripAdvisor's "Certificate of Excellence 2016",With an extensive wine list and an experienced team, led by Maitre d', Nicky Rutigliano, you will be pampered from the moment you arrive.On those balmy summer evenings, why not have a romantic dinner, al-fresco, in the candlelit garden - or during the winter months retire after dinner to the warmth of the open fire in the drawing room.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I use this site all the time to read recommendations but always use an excuse (my laziness) to not write a review. However, eating dinner and breakfast in Blakes made me log on. The food is great and good value for money, having only discovered Scotch eggs recently (I lived an incredibly sheltered life) I chose this as a starter and thoroughly enjoyed it. The rest of meal was just as good as was the breakfast of poached eggs and smoked salmon. The biggest plus was nikky, who seems to oversee the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. He took the time to talk to us, educate us on the wine and say hello at breakfast. I wanted to kidnap him and bring him back with us in our suitcase! I hope Blakes and Connaught Hotel recognise the asset they have here. We will come back next year as long as nikky is greeting us!

David1007, Owner at Blakes Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

We were all so delighted to read your review Nicci and even more delighted that your suitcase wasn't big enough to "kidnap" our Nicky - he is much loved and respected for his knowledge of food and wine and his innate ability to look after all the guests. I hope you can make it back, sooner rather than later!!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We ate in Blakes for breakfast and Dinner and I have to say the food is some of the best I've ever had.

Breakfast is the usual buffet style apart from the hot food which is served to you. I am coeliac (gluten free) and am always impressed that they offer hot and cold gluten free cereal. The staff are very friendly and are willing to help in any way they can.

Dinner is absolute bliss! The food is always hot and cannot be faulted for presentation or taste. Overall an outstanding hotel restaurant.

1  Thank ChrissyW725

Glad you enjoyed the experience so much Chrissy and thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Quiet restaurant in a lovely hotel, serving excellent food (with beautiful complimentary bread). The staff were respectful and polite, just the right side of friendly, and we felt very welcome. The food was sublime, particularly the double-baked cheese souffle starter. The bill was surprisingly reasonable for such quality food and service.Highly recommended.

David1007, Owner at Blakes Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for your "Faultless" review Cliecost, I enjoyed reading it as much as you clearly enjoyed your evening!!

Best wishes and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

All the dishes arrive looking picture perfect,starter of scallops was worthy of a 2 michelin star in looks but was overelmed by truffled mash,couldn't detect the truffle.We both opted for steak,advertised with triple cooked chips and bernaise sauce.Chips were fine but one of the reasons for this choice was the bernaise sauce as we love it.Well all I can say is I really don't understand why serve what they did when advertised as bernaise sauce a pot was put on the side of the plate of mayonaise with a sprinkling of a dried herb that ddn't taste of tarragon let alone any thing but Hellmans.Great shame and left me and my partner bemused and saying"Why?"
Steaks were good.
Pudding again a picture and absolutely delicious.
For me the more memorable bit of the meal was the wine.granted I payed just over £10 for 1 large glass of red but it was fabulous,I made my partner take a sip who usually wrinkles his nose up at red wine and he agreed that he could quite happily down a glass or 2 of it.It was a very classy wine and I liked they also didn't charge any more for drinking by the glass compared to the price of the bottle.Service as with the rest of the hotel is delightful.
As it was the first visit to Bournemouth and the only restaurant I visited not sure if its the best in the area but i would eat there again.

1  Thank Barbara B

Many thanks Barbara for your delightful review - the sauce has been the subject of a very lively debate ever since!! Thank you also for your superb review of the Connaught which you posted separately.

Best wishes and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Almost a hidden gem ! Unless you are staying at the hotel you don't really know about it.
However, we discovered it recently and have now had two superb meals there. Very comfortable, fine dining with impecable service. Good choice of meals including many vegetarian options. Not the easiest place to find as its tucked away on the Westcliff, but well rewarding once you do. Looks like a great place to stay too. Good professional reception.
All in all this place gives you the feel of a bygone age with a modern twist. Superb. A Good 4 star hotel.

1  Thank BoBBournemouth
David1007, Owner at Blakes Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Many thanks Bob and we hope to see a lot more of you.