“cosy and luxurious”

Ranked #5 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
salisbury
“cosy and luxurious”
Reviewed 2 December 2009

we really enjoyed our time away we spent here. it was very homely yet with a touch of luxury. We stayed in the ' chocolate truffe suite' it was very tastefully decorated and of large size. The room concists of a SUPER king size bed walk in shower an various other amenities. excellent service

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Newton
Reviewed 6 September 2009

We booked this last minute to stay on a Saturday night and were really pleased with our stay. The guesthouse is well decorated, with big squashy carpets and chocolate and latte colours and is very clean.
There was ample free parking and the hotel was full. The hotel is within easy reach of the town.

Our room was small, but we booked a cheap room the morning we stayed so were not expecting anything grand. We liked the handmade tasty chocolates in our room and the breakfast was big and hearty with great service.

The owner gave us a warm welcome, we felt comfortable here and would recommend.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
plymouth
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in August as we wanted a luxury break - we didnt get this staying here. We looked on the website and decided to book the Xocolat room which is on the top floor of the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel there was plenty of space to park, although a little difficult to get in and out of the spaces if driving a large car. On arrival at 5 pm on a Friday evening we found it a little strange for the door to be locked and we had to ring the bell to be let in. The owner explained that the reception was not manned and to ring the bell at the desk in order to get service including the bar!
We were given keys to the room and the front door which was good as it meant we could come and go as we pleased.

We then went to our room located in the third floor of the hotel, the room was very small and dark due the the very small window and had a sloping ceiling which was advertised on the website. The bed was fine if a little uncomfortable but the rest of the furniture was a little dated. The bathroom was small and the room had a bath with a microphone style shower, due to the ceiling height it was impossible to stand up to shower and I am 5"2! This was advertised on the website if you look very closely however on the Saturday morning I went to run a bath as I thought the best way of washing my hair would be to sit in the bath and use the hand held shower. However when I went to put the plug in I found that it had been broken - it was a push down type plug which looked like it had been forced and did not work. So decided to go down to breakfast and find someone to sort it out. After breakfast one of the owners came to look at it and said that her husband would need to look at it but he would not be back until 8pm I said that was not a problem but i would like to wash my hair she suggested I crouch down and wash my hair over the bath - when spending £120 per night on this room I feel that this is unacceptable! She then suggested we used room 4 which was a twin room and just use the shower in there so we took all our wash stuff down there and had a shower - that room looked much nicer than ours although the shower was electric and not very powerful. On the Saturday evening we returned at 10pm to find the plug had still not been fixed so the next morning as check out time was 10.30am I decided just to make do and wash my hair over the bath. During breakfast the owner did ask if we would like to see if it could be fixed whilst we were having breakfast - it was too late by then. When checking out we were presented with the full bill. I expressed my disappointment about the bathroom situation and the owner asked how much we would like knocked off as he doesnt like to see customers go away disappointed, he then proceeded to say "put a price on a plug" I replied "put a price on the use of a bathroom" In the end we had £40 knocked off the £240 bill which I feel was adequate compensation, however did did imply that it was our fault the plug was broken as his staff fully check the rooms when cleaning. Clearly they dont do this fully like their cleaning - there were a few stray hairs in the bathroom on the floor and cobwebs around the light.

With regards to the Chocolate theme - they had had a go at this but not really carried it out adequately. At the reception desk there was a mini chocolate fountain which had melted chcocolate in the bottom but was not flowing how a fountain should. There was a few marshmellows to accompany it but nothing much. In the rooms there was a chocolate house on the bedside table - 1 per 2 people doesnt go very far and we only got one on the first night not the second! There was also a little pot of chocolates on the dressing table which was topped up on the second day. In my opinion I think they were made on site probably during the chocolate workshops using the dreggs that were left over as they were not all that great. There were 2 huge chcoclate fountains dotted around the hotel but no sign that they were ever used - how nice would it be to be greeted by one of those on arrival or even in the bar!?!

We spent friday and saturday night at the hotel and did not see a single person using the bar. Maybe due to the fact you had to ring a bell to get service and the opening hours were between 6-9pm.

Breakfast was fine - my husband had a fry up both days and I had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. There was also a choice of cereals and fruit etc as well as tea, coffee, hot chocolate and juice. The rooms provided tea and coffee making facilities although i felt the need to rinse the mugs out before I used them as it looked like the mugs had been dried with a duster and had fuff in them....yum!

Overall I wont be revisiting this hotel - disappointing small room with poor bathroom and lack of chocolate!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lauragent
London
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I recently stayed in the hotel by myself for one night!

I thought the hotel, the staff, the amenities, and location was fantastic! Very impressed with the room - I felt that I was in a boutqiue for sure! The room had a flat screen TV which allowed me to relax after a stressful business meeting and iPod docking station which was a nice suprise!

The chocolate in the room was delicious and the chocolate hotel was a very nice touch!

All in all a great stay, friendly and helpful staff (who cook a delicious breakfast)! Would strongly recommend, im sure its great for a romantic weekend away!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank blueclass
London
Reviewed 20 July 2009

My partner and I spent one night in the 'Montezuma Suite'. I will give some brief reasons as to why I only gave this hotel a rating of two out of five:

- as the hotel claims to be for chocolate connoisseurs, I had assumed to find some high quality chocolate in the room. I was extremely disappointed to find old-looking, substandard milk chocolate on the table. It was inedible.

- at a price of £150 for one night, I expect cleanliness and decent toiletries. The bathroom window was covered in mould, there were hairs and dust on the window sill, and the general upkeep and attention to detail left a lot to be desired.

- the front desk was not staffed, you had to ring a bell to get somebody's attention.

- at check-in we were given our key but not actually shown the room, which we found odd.

- the bar was closed even though the hotel was fully booked.

If you are a chocolate lover I would strongly recommend to think twice before staying here. This is an overpriced B&B!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shoegazer
Essex
Reviewed 12 July 2009

The wife and I stayed at the hotel for two nights, the hotel is well located, clean and the staff (if you are lucky enough to see them) friendly.

We stayed in the Aztec room which is described as a mini suite, mini being the word the room is on par size wise with a travel lodge albeit better decorated. The double bed was in fact two singles pushed together and the mattress was not at all comfortable.

Do not be put off staying at the hotel as it is a good hotel but just be mindfull of some of the details on the hotel web site. The price is also a bit on the steep side in our opinion.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Oxford
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We were looking for a nice, but not too expensive guest house to stay in Bournemouth and the Chocolate Hotel popped up on one of those late deal search engine. We stayed for one night on a Sunday night and couldn't have been happier.
The proprietoress was very friendly made a nice (but very strong) Chocolate Martini and on Monday morning produced a fantastic breakfast. Our room was clean and very comfortable and it was a nice touch to have an ipod docking station in the room. We had the smallest double room which had a small, but powerful shower - though it did tend to hose down the whole room.
We also did the chocolate making day and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple