“Decent Thai restaurant”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Decent Thai restaurant”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Baan Thai is a cleanly presented Thai restaurant offering a pleasant calmness to its location on a slightly rowdy bit of Old Christchurch Road in Bournemouth. I went on a Friday night and the place was fairly quiet (about 6 groups in from 8-10pm). Service was fast & reasonably friendly but not outstanding. The music was something along the lines of a Thai version of 80s power ballads (great if you like that sort of thing) and there was a quiet lack of atmosphere. That said the food was suitably spicy and well presented. The lightly battered red snapper was excellent with the rest of the food authentic and above average. It is however a little bit overpriced.

There is a lot to recommend about Baan Thai. Unfortunately there have been a spate of new Thai Restaurants in Bournemouth which may not necessarily be superior for food, but they certainly have a better atmosphere and value.

• Visited April 2012

Reading, United Kingdom
“Reliably good”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The food was nice with a nice selection on the menu as well. The staff were friendly and the service was very quick. The restaurant did lack atmosphere though, especially for New Years Eve.
It felt like a dressed up takeaway in many ways, but I would go back!
I haven't been to Bournemouth before so I can't compare prices but in comparison to London prices I though it was very reasonable.

• Visited December 2011
Cheshire
“Nice meal, good service, no complaints.”
Reviewed 7 April 2011

Arriving at 7.00pm on a Tuesday I wasn't at all surprised to be only the third person in there.

Dining alone, (and on your birthday at that), is never a prospect that promises a night to remember. The music was not unpleasant but far from authentic, which would help set the scene. At this stage I ought to explain that tonight Matthew, I am away on business, and am dining alone.

The restaurant is located on a busy street in the centre of Bournemouth, which I'm guessing, judging by the establishments all around, comes alive by night. No doubt populated with the thriving student and stag & hen population.

I told myself not to be concerned by the pinging of the microwave, after-all, they're not illegal, are they?

I cut straight to the chase, birthday or not, I love the prawn crackers Thai style, enough to miss out on a starter. I opted for a spicy chicken dish with peppers garlic and chile, served with an egg noodle side.

My meal arrived quickly, very quickly, which could have been due to the lack of pressure on the kitchen, or for the use of the aforementioned microwave!

Either way, I wasn't bothered. My meal was very nice. It was hot in temperature but lacked slightly in "hot-kick" so-to-speak, but was very tasty and faultless. I was pleased to be asked how my meal was, especially as the enquiry came before I had reached "the point of no return". The point of no return being, you've eaten so much, even if you wanted a fresh dish, you'd not appreciate either the wait nor another dinner!!

One of my pet hates is when servers try to pour wine at a rate to ensure you buy another bottle. I'm guessing that as the charming young man that served me, was quite taken aback that I wanted a whole bottle to myself anyway, he figured I couldn't manage a second, and wasn't around enough to top me up anyway. Little did he know it was my birthday, after-all my bubbly persona and effervescent personality was bound to give the game away! Wasn't it?

So, the Baan Thai was, in my opinion, pretty good actually. During my meal, a number of people came in and collected take away meals, and another few diners arrived to eat in. So a quiet Tuesday was developing quite nicely I suppose.

• Visited April 2011
Bournemouth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very nice”
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Good food, not cheap but very nice. Worth it for a nice night out. Red Snapper was gooooood.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good Thai Food”
Reviewed 8 January 2011

We ate at the restaurant during a short break in Bournemouth. This is an excellent little restaurant, the food was both fresh and delicious and the service was excellent. The prawn pad thai is simply a must.

• Visited December 2010