“Poor Quality Food”

Ranked #61 of 778 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups
Reviewed 29 July 2014

When entering this establishment you feel more like you are in a slightly outdated, run down roadside café. The waiters are not particularly friendly. The food had an almost sweet taste and, like another reviewer has commented, tasted like tomato soup. The paintwork was in need of a spruce up and made you think that if they can't be bothered with the general décor then what are the kitchens like. The experience there was not one to be repeated.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Really disappointed, four of us ate there and all had different curries. All looked the same when they arrived and appeared to feature a can of tomato soup. Place desperately needs some refurbishment chairs look faded and the paint work and walls are dirty.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I popped into Indian Ocean for dinner at about half-past nine in the evening when many other sorts of eateries have already stopped seating for dinner. But I was seated right away and my drink and dinner orders taken within a reasonable time. I had ordered the chicken tikka locknow with a vegetable rice, which arrived after about 25 minutes. That's a trifle long, considering that the restaurant was not especially busy and it was clear that the busiest time of the night was past.

The food was very good. It was hot and nicely seasoned so that I did not need to add salt, pepper or any other amendments. The vegetables in the rice were a bit overcooked for my tastes but not horribly so. Service was prompt and courteous and the place is kept spotlessly clean, at least to my eye.

The big problem with the evening wasn't a meal, but an argument that erupted between a party of would-be diners and the manager. I did not catch the substance of the argument but it quickly escalated into shouting, with both the dinner party and the manager screaming expletives at each other. It was extremely unnerving and I actually worried that a fist fight might ensue. After the enraged customers stormed out the manager never once apologised to the remaining diners in the restaurant – either collectively or to each table of customers – who were still finishing their meals. I consider that poor manners and irresponsible management. I certainly did not feel comfortable lingering after my mail meal for coffee or an after-dinner drink. I left as soon as I possibly could. Perhaps this was an isolated instance, but it created a truly dreadful dining experience. I'm only in Bournemouth on holiday so I won't be back as a matter of logistics; however, if this were a restaurant in my home town I would never return after an experience like this.

2  Thank Jeff J
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Ideal for folks who are staying at the Travelodge Seafront in Bournemouth as it's literally just around the corner.

Other than the fact that the first waiter that came to serve us was a touch surly (no smile, going through the motions kind of thing) this cracking little Indian was one of the best I've been to in some time.

I'm a keen enthusiast of the Chicken Tikka Dhansak and I can honestly say this was right up there as one of the best I've ever had (and I've had a few!!!).
3 of us attended and we all left with empty plates, full stomachs and not such a great dent in our pockets. The other 2 waiting staff that served us were extremely friendly and accommodating.

If I'm in Bournemouth again, will definitely pay another visit.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Six of us dined at the Indian Ocean while we on a stag weekend in Bournemouth. The restaurant was very handy for us as it was located opposite our hotel (The Bonnington Beach) indeed, the guy on reception recommended it to us.

We dined early evening as we were heading into town for the night and although we didn’t have a booking, there were plenty of tables available.

The food was very tasty (I had chicken Bhuna) and I didn’t hear any complaints from the other Guys. Service was pretty quick and on the whole friendly although of the waiters taking our order seemed a little miserable.
Including various side dishes and drinks, the bill came to around £20 each which was very reasonable.

The only criticism I’ve got is that some areas of the restaurant were looking a bit tired. Some of the chairs were worn with stitching coming adrift. We were sat at the front which was like a “conservatory” and the glass roof above was filthy and could have done with a good clean. And finally there was no soap in the Gents toilet and both sides of the toilet door were sticky to touch. We mentioned about the lack of soap and this was rectified.

Other than that we had no complaints about the food or the price. By the time we had finished our meal, the restaurant was packed and people were waiting for a table which is normally a good indicator of a good restaurant.