“Great location, warm welcome, pleasant stay”
Review of Hotel Riviera

Hotel Riviera
Ranked #39 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Warm welcome, lovely friendly staff and a room with the best view on the south coast! What more could you want? Just enjoyed a break at the Riviera and loved its quirkiness, it's location is superb and the breakfast delicious and plentiful. Great value for money and thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: 17 or 18 have views to die for
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank ChrisCou
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riviera

Reviewed 22 May 2014

The location was definitely number one! The hotel staff was very professional, friendly and extremely helpful with everything that we needed; such as getting us medication from drugstore and recommending the right place to go.

The fantastic breakfast served by wonderful and caring staff, I applaud the Management and staff of Hotel Riviera for their superior standard in hospitality.

Highly highly recommend this hotel. I will spread the word to our friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeck2014
Reviewed 20 May 2014

VERY helpful and sympathetic staff. I had a problem with wi-fi and help was immediately there and solved the problem. Also, I forgot a pair of trousers there and they were mailed to me. I had to pay for it, but all was done by the hotel staff real quick and efficient.
I stayed for four nights with my partner. The room size and the bathroom was great and very clean. free wireless internet and free car parking. You cannot beat the location (the best view of Bournemouth bay). Breakfast was included and it was more than anyone could eat. I would definitely go back to that hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank DREAM18
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Where do I start........The first thing I want to clarify is that I am a very honest person and my account of my stay is based on my personal experience. I have stayed in many Hotels and I am not usually a critic but how this hotel has had so many 'reasonable' reviews is unbelievable and I felt impelled to highlight some major shortfalls. One member of staff did tell me that the reviews are from members of the family trying to boost the ratings as well as repeat business from people in their twilight years who are used to a more 'nursing home' feel. I have chosen to categorise each point below in no particular order and IF you decide to stay here then you can decide if my 'account' had any truth in it.

PARKING - Basically, forget it. The access, the amount of spaces and general layout of the carpark is terrible. The owner of the hotel stands outside like a traffic warden dictating where to park in a vain attempt to control the last one in, first one out policy which was a joke to watch. Also, If you park in the wrong place then it means several cars would need to be moved to let you out and I had to move twice during my stay and it's just annoying and very poorly thought out..

Disabled Access - There is a stannah stair lift to the main entrance but with that, the steps are steep and treacherous for older people. There is a lift inside but is clearly old and I wouldn't trust it and didn't use it.

Rooms - I was shown 4 rooms and spoke with other residence during my stay. It is very easy to spot damaged furniture, peeling wall paper, water damage, temporary repairs and repairs done to a low standard. There are also cameras everywhere and the bar area can only be described as something your uncle would build in his front room in the 1970's. The best way to describe it is that the hotel is tired and very tired at that. If your of older years and either don't care or don't notice then fair enough. The hotel reminded me very much of a nursing home. Some of the rooms are tiny and the walls are not very thick. You can easily hear next doors television as well as other guests talking.

Food - the food was good but the downside was there was shouting coming from the kitchen on more than one occasion and from what I heard, it was the owner shouting at his 'partner'. I was disgusted at this and you can imagine what the other guests thought. How rude!!!!!!

Staff - The staff are generally fine. I did get the impression they were unhappy with the working conditions and there was one particular man who had a foreign accent on reception who was rude, condescending and abrupt on more than one occasion so I don't think it was a one off. I heard him shouting at staff also. One resident told me that this same man had shouted at guests the week before.

View and location. The views are good as it's on the cliff top but the location is 'noisy' especially at night with drunk younger people walking past until the early hours.

In summary, this hotel is like a 1970's nursing home. It's old. outdated, lots of shouting, odd smells and the rooms look like something from a Miss Marple episode. Don't let the recently painted exterior of the hotel give you a false sense of security as inside is definitely not the same as the outside.

If you have average or high expectations, want to be able to park your car easily or just want no shouting then book at your peril. You have been warned.

I hope now that I have shared my experience, maybe others will do the same.

Room Tip: They all need updating so choosing a room wont really make a difference. Stay clear of the rooms fac...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank WellTravelledUK1967
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My wife and I stayed in this lovely hotel for two nights and have just returned home. First of all, we would like to thank John and his team for making our little break so very good. This hotel ticks all the boxes in terms of cleanliness, comfort and outstanding food. The rooms are basic but spotlessly clean and the bathroom had a lovely shower in it. This hotel gives real value for money and has a charm all of it's own and is an shining example of an older hotel that offers a warmth of character that many large chain owned hotels could not possibly have. Finally, the food was probably the best we have tasted in a hotel for a very long time and the waitress was excellent and very friendly. We both agree that in the very near future, we will return to this truly lovely place with views that are simply stunning.Thanks John once again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ron427
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We recently booked a last minute deal and I have to say I was presently surprised. We were greeted on reception by the friendly Adam who was very helpful and couldnt be faulted he informed us of everything we needed to know about the area and hotel. Breakfast was very yummy too. Room was very basic but had everything we needed as a base. My only fault would be that the swimming pools chlorine was so strong we could only manage a 20min swim at a time. That said we enjoyed our stay so thank you.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gemma S
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and I required an overnight stop in order to attend a concert; we were not disappointed. During our somewhat brief visit, we found the staff to be most helpful and extremely friendly, and the room, which had a most delightful view over the adjacent gardens and the sea, was very comfortable and we lacked for nothing. Our sincere thanks to the Riviera team - we will be back!
P&P, Dorset