“loved it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
ludlow
“loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2010

My wife and I took our two grandchildren for a long week-end at the Riviera and had a wonderful time. The food was really out of this world, four courses and each a meal in itself and beautifully cooked. The staff again seemed to really enjoy their jobs and our young granddaughter really fell for the waiter 'Sam'. The position on the front with a good well kept garden area to enjoy cream teas. snacks and drinks and beyond the hedge a large green for our children to play on. The hotel was well managed and clean through out. Our children were well behaved but I feel that misbehaving kids and grown ups would not be tolerated. The owner, John, was readily available and a gentleman.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank thehut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
home
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

Receptionist was very helpful from the moment we all arrived and arranged a late evening meal for one of our party that was arriving late due to the car breaking down. The food and waiter service were excellent the food always hot and loads of it. The rooms were kept very clean with clean towels every day; the parking was a bit tight but were able to park all our old cars together and the staff soon moved a vehicle to let out another guest.
In summing up all the staff were very friendly and helpful especially to any of our slightly disabled friends.

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank sidevalvers
north east
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

stayed here and kings langley with a group at conference just booked again today for next year ( please see my review at kings langley ) a very good hotel we do not look any futher when we travel from the north east to conference in bournemouth great food and very friendly staff also great views,there are around 30 of us travel so some are in each hotel but john the owner is great for us in helping with rooming we want,nothing seems to be any trouble really looking forward to our visit next june.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank gordonNorthEast
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

Hi there I don't normally write reviews but having read the previous one I felt I should make the effort!!!
I found the hotel to be very comfortable - it is ideally situated on the Westcliff with a nice garden which serves lunch & cream teas!!!!
There was only one member of staff in the evening but they did there utmost to serve everyone as quickly as possible & we were in no rush anyway we were on holiday!!??
My only complaint would be too much food - breakfast has choice of cereal, porridge, fruit, fish, full english etc I didn't have to eat it all of course!!?? Dinner is 4 course with a starter, homemade soup, dinner & homemade sweets my favourite was Raspberry Brulee!!!! Dinner times don't always suit everyone having to be seated by 6.45 but I personally don't like eating late & you don't have to book in for evening meal - there are plenty of places to eat in Bournemouth!! It is not very often you can eat out somewhere nowadays where it is all home cooked freshly prepared food which you can tell it is!!!
There are no leisure facilities at the hotel but you can get a pass from reception which allows you access to the pool, sauna, jacuzzi etc at the Marriott hotel just along the westcliff only a few minutes walk.
Thank you for making us feel welcome we will definitely be back - if you want a quiet, small hotel that is not rowdy this is the place for you!!!
See you soon S & M

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank flowerpowerkid
Sandhurst Berks
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2009

I have the unfortunate "pleasure" of staying at the Riviera for a conference. I never expected a great hotel it never really is in Gods waiting room but the Riviera is something out of the ordinary.
My room is tiny in the extreme but as it's for sleeping not something that bothers me but basics in an hotel these days should at least have something othere than a chunk of what looks like carbolic soap in the bathroom. The wind blowing off the sea makes for an incredibly noisy room along with the paper thin walls being able to listen to the Aged Mafia taliking about how disgusted they are that there are a couple of guests that are on a hen weekend and were going to see a male strip show. That with the complaints about the cost of Horlicks and the lack of milk is already driving me to distraction.
I had telephoned prior to arrival as I have some mobility issues and needed to check there was ample parking. After an affirmitive I was told dinner is from 6pm until 6.45 don't be late. .... I hadn't even got to the place.
On arrival I rung the bell several times and was checked in. Told breakfast was 8.30 til 9.15 ... not very helpful for a conference that started at 8.45 on Sunday and 8.30 the rest of the week. As there were 4 in our delegation and 4 in another we risked asking for ealy breakfasts (8am on Sunday and 7.45) the rest of the week After a lot of huffing and puffing it was agreed to have a word with the chef. Yaaayyyy we got a positive response.

One person was left to look after the front of hotel. It was full and they had to serve the bar which was busy as well as trying to check people in and out meant a pre-dinner drink just never happened because after 20 minutes wait we just gave up. We went into the dining room and were then chastised for sitting at the wrong table as that one belonged to Mavis or whoever it was. Moved to another table we had a meal that was ok at best. After dinner before we went to a charity function across town we were to meet in the lounge only to get in and hear "Mavis" and her Mafia complaining that people had the cheek to sit at her table. We couldn't wait to get out.
We had an enjoyable evening and returned to the Riviera back to the noisy room .. I had obviously not drunk enough the noise from the windows was agravating at best.
After a broken nights sleep in an uncomfortable bed we duly went down at 8 for our breakfast. Our delegation was there but the other wasn't and the chef could clearly be heard slagging all of us off and that he's not makeing breakfast for a couple of people .. he was going right into one even though we never actually knew the other delegates. They arrived about 10 minutes later to more abuse from the kitchen I dread to think what he'll be like later when we get back from conference at finishes at 6.15 and it will take me at least 15 minutes to walk back.
This "hotel" is run more like a nursing home with their usual clientelle being much older people that like routine. This hotel is no good for people that need a hotel experience such as food and drink in suitable time slots. From the rooms I have seen it wouldn't pay to be tall or large as everytrhing is so confined.
Would I recommend this hotel? Only to those over 80 needing stability in their life. The best thing that could happen to this hotel is it closes down like the hotel next door.
I hate it here and I've still got another 5 days to go ... makes travelling 85miles each way home seem very attractive. Happiness .. Bournemouth in your rear view mirror.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Scubapro1957
Lewsar, Owner at Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, 24 June 2009
As the owner of Hotel Riviera I would like to take this opportunity to respond to Scubapro1957's review.

I am disappointed that the gentleman did not enjoy his 6 night stay and regret that he did not raise any concerns with me as they arose. I am available at most times, if I am not on site, then generally I can be within ten minutes of being called. I am always willing to listen to the views of my guests and help whenever possible.

The staff issues, I addressed these immediately upon receiving the review. Some of the other points raised, eg the weather are beyond my control. Because of the hotel's seafront location there are at times high winds, although to minimise the effect all windows are double glazed.

The complimentary soap made available for each guest is standard hotel supply. In my experience most guests prefer to use their own brands, therefore I do not think that passing the extra cost of luxury toiletries on to them would be welcomed.

I am disappointed that the beds were considered to be unsatisfactory. The beds in Hotel Riviera are only two months old and are the Mattison brand used as standard in hotels.

I have only owned this hotel for a short while and in that time I have replaced the complete boiler system so that every guest enjoys a very powerful shower, I have had new digital televisions installed in every bedroom, new beds in every bedroom, a new telephone system and telephones in every bedroom, the lift completely re-furbished, and lots more. There is a very pretty, well maintained garden for the use of guests. Guests are also offered free complimentary use of leisure facilities including indoor and outdoor pools at the nearby Marriott Hotel. Improvements are very expensive and are on-going. Sadly this gentleman's view focused only on negative points, it would have been fair for him to have mentioned the hotel's many positives.

I aim for all my guests to receive a warm and welcoming reception, to enjoy their stay and receive value for money. As this gentleman rightly stated the hotel was full, thus proving its popularity.

Since receiving this review I have spoken with a member of the group of conference delegates staying at the same time as Scubapro, to obtain his views. The gentleman I spoke with confirmed to me that their stay in Hotel Riviera was very enjoyable and he made a point of stressing that the food was absolutely excellent. They are re-booking for their next conference.

I hope that this addressed the points raised and would urge any guests to speak to hoteliers whenever there are issues of concern as our aim is to ensure that your stay is an enjoyable one.
Hertfordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2009

Arrived about 2pm we were asked straight away to pay only after we paid were we told the bar would not be open and if we wanted a drink we could go over the road, also don't expect homemade cakes or afternoon tea they were also unavailable
Owner was rude and unpleasant we then realised we had made a mistake but by then it was too late.
We agree with the previous review from Avvinit 09/03/09

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank nannykins01
DA/KENT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

A good welcome on arrival. Room clean and serviced 100% each day.Restaurant, Food good,staff polite and pleasant, on very busy days service could be slow,at times there may be a language problem, but this added to our enjoyment .Car parking was sometimes difficult when the Hotel was full, especially when some guests did not respect the disabled bays. In the unlikely event of there being a problem, a quiet word with the manager, and it was soon sorted.
4 Mature persons in the party.
BAB&EDB DA2 KENT/ GP&MP LS8 YORK

• Liked — ALL CLEAN AND TIDY
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank STICKSDakent