“Not for the early riser!”
Review of Junction Hotel

and 1 more site!
Junction Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Dorchester
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not for the early riser!”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stopped here for 3 nights over the recent whitsun holiday weekend, having stopped here previously. The rooms were comfortable enough, clean, flat screen television. good shower. No complaints,
However getting breakfast is a different story!
We were asked when we checked in what time we would like breakfast. I thought this was strange, as there was a sign stating the breakfast times.
When we got up on the Saturday, we went over to the bar of the pub at 9 am only to find it locked! This was despite breakfast finishing at 9.30 am.
The bar was totally deserted, and we even telephoned the number on the outside - and could hear and see the phone ringing on the bar!
After 10 minutes we gave up and went round the town and found a lovely local cafe.

Upon returning after about an hour, we found the bar open, so we went in. The proprietor greeted us and said 'I must have just missed you!' More likely he had not got up!
When we were asked if we would like breakfast, we politely refused, and i suggested that we had a free meal that evening to make up for it - this was granted with no fuss,

However thinking that this was a one off, was a mistake.
Sunday morning breakfast was fine, no problem.
Bank holiday Monday - same problem again - the bar was again locked at 9am! Another couple were waiting impatiently, as they wanted an early start as they had a long way to travel.
After a couple of minutes, the door opened with the surprise greeting ' Good morning, who would like tea or coffee?
I was obviously that the proprietor had only just got up again, by his sheepish expression.

So although the location was fine, the rooms being adequate, I do not think I will be stopping here again.
Bed and breakfast mean just that! Not bed and breakfast if I am up!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Martin E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
saxmundham, UK
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed here over New Year as the usual hotel was shut. Was rather dubious on arrival, but the rooms were comfortable and clean, and it was surprisingly quiet for a town centre pub! Food was excellent - both supper and breakfast, and the staff very pleasant. Would recommend this place for short stays, but the carparking is poor

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank rmp1968uk
Doncaster
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We travelled down to Dorset for Xmas to visit my son and his family. As ever we stayed at the Junction Hotel. This B+B is in a fantastic position being right in the town with free parking right outside your bedroom door. Spaces were limited becauase it was so busy and I had ask someone to move their vehicle on 2 occassions - this was no problem at all.
Albert the landlord and his staff are always friendly and accommodating. The pub itself is large but very welcoming and offers good value food and drink.
Our room was warm, comfortable with large hot shower and digital tv. Fantastic value.
You can have food and drinks in your room.It is only 2 car lengths from the rear door of the pub to any of the 6 letting rooms.
We shall be back. Thanks Albert.
Michael Leonard

Room Tip: All rooms on ground floor
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the Junction Hotel last night following a wedding my partner and I went to in West Knighton. The room only came to £62.50 including breakfast the following day which was great value.

We didn't make it up for breakfast as we had a late night last night so can only comment on the room. The Hotel is walking distance from the station and our room was pretty big, very clean and tidy. I had a great sleep last night. Would definitely recommend this Hotel to friends and family!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Karenhinshaw
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I was staying at the hotel for family wedding. misleading to start with as no hotel but large pub with out buildings as rooms. Room was freezing , apparently heating only on when it is on in the pub!
Twin room which left a lot to be desired, wall paper hanging off the wall behind beds and carpet badly stained. The bathroom looked like it needed a good scrub.Whole room drab an dark, can only say I am glad I was only staying night.
I paid £62 when checking out but still feel this is too high.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RonnieRocket42

Travellers are raving about these Dorchester hotels

Reviewed 21 September 2012

We stayed at the Junction last Saturday night whilst attending a wedding a few miles away. The room (2) was large, but twin bedded. We hadn't specified a double when booking, so our fault, but assumed it would be - one to watch out for!! Decor was a little frayed round the edges (peeling wallpaper behind my bed head) and there were only decaf coffee sachets, but the bathroom was spotless and the room overall was fine. Bit noisy when next door packed up and left, but that was their fault, not the hotels!! Wish I could tell you what the breakfast was like, but there was no way we were going to make it before 9.30 after the wedding. Overall, I'd recommend for no frills, good value accommodation. The staff were very friendly too.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I've been using Trip Advisoe for many years but have never submitted a review. However, my experiences of this Pub/Hotel was so good I felt compelled to comment...

I visited the Junction Hotel, Dorchester on Friday 22/06/12 with my family. We had booked three rooms and from the moment that we arrived until our departure our treatment was exemplary. The staff were welcoming and extremely helpful.

We were in Dorchester to celebrate my father's 80th birthday and when this became known, all of the employees went out of their way to make the evening memorable. We ate at the pub and the quality of the food was excellent. I would especially mention the bar manager, Kevin Cope, who was particularly helpful.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Junction as a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Room 4 was excellent!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank islandmonkey14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorchester
Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Poole
Westwood House Guest House
Westwood House Guest House
#1 of 45 in Dorchester

Been to Junction Hotel? Share your experiences!