“Excellent Value”
Review of Beggar's Knap

Beggar's Knap
Ranked #23 of 45 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I needed a last minute bed for a one night stop over in Dorset. I was contacted by text regarding my check in and Mark the owner was very helpful. I was able to park on site and was given a top floor room that was very clean and comfortable with a shower room practically opposite.

Breakfast was well cooked and delicious. The house has am interesting history and the internal decor is impressive (and not what I expected).

I have played much more elsewhere for alot less than the Beggar's Knap offers. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Beggar's Knap

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We were in Dorchester for just one night and chose the Beggar's Knap. The location is great...within walking distance to everything in Dorchester. The room was nicely decorated. It was clean and comfortable. Mark, the owner, was friendly and attentive. The breakfast was tasty as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We recently stayed here for a Family wedding in Dorchester.
The location is excellent and there are many bars, restaurants and shops on your doorstep.
My wife and I had a superior room and it was very spacious and had great natural light with large windows.
My cousin and his wife had a smaller room and were not as happy as we were.
Mark was an excellent host and we would definitely reccomend the superior rooms.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Stebeb
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Lovely sized room with a very comfortable bed. Cozy Off street parking. Mark, the owner was very friendly, informative and available for any enquiry.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 22 October 2011

We chose to stay at The Beggars Knapp for it's convenient location en route to Weymouth for the ferry to jersey for a short break.

We were aware of other reviews who had commented on the fdifficulty in locating this property so I visited Google Earth to view the area beforehand which aided my plans for parking and access as I had a disabled passenger who would be joining me on the break.I put the full address in the satnav and had no problems locating this house. However, I do believe reviews from another site do not provide the full address - you could always telephone Mark and ask! It's not rocket science.

The public house across the road helped us locate the premises and the property does have a very large sign in the garden which is well lit on the front.

We were greeted by a young female and shown to the room which over-looked the public house and we had a good clear view of our vehicle which was parked within the gates of the premises of Beggar's Knap..

The room was large and airy and met all our needs for our visit.

Although the room over-looked the pub and the main road we heard no noise from either and my passenger is a light sleeper.

We met Mark who greeted us the following morning for breakfast and albeit, all visitors will dine together at the same table, at quiet periods it is easy to choose a time whereby you are dining alone if you prefer. We dined with 2 gentlemen who were working nearby who were from Wales and had a lovely chat and the choice for breakfast was vast and variable to meet your needs. Mark would be only too happy to accomodate any dietary needs as I had asked the question.

The house has been tastefully decorated and cared for but some may think it's tired in some area's. It is at the end of the day Mark's home and not just a business.

Thank you Mark for a delightful stay and if we're passing your way again, we'd be happy to join you again.

Room Tip: Telephone in advance and explain your requirements - if limited mobility, low floor maybe of help.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I'm not sure how this property got a 4 star rating from AA because it certainly doesn't come close to meeting the standards that one would expect. Our room had dirty and stained carpeting, dirty bed linen, no hair dryer, a kettle that was completely corroded and unusable, and there was no remote for the antiquated tv. At breakfast there was no juice and only instant coffee. Not a good experience and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's a shame really as the property itself has much potential with it's antique furnishings and decor. It just seems that no pride or care is taken in the operation of the business. Oh and it's also located across the street from a pub that can (and did) get noisy on the weekend. If you have another option, I'd suggest you take it and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank vafrica
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Beggar.s Knap
The greatest place on earth. Never have stayed at such a an old victorian home that was so lovely. Everything was just absolutely magnificent, Mark made us feel very comfortable and most welcome. It was an enjoyable and unforgetable two day stay, only wish it was much longer. we highly recommend begger's knap as the place to stay. thank-you thank-you take care mark
from your canadian friends