“Superb Treat of a B&B”
Review of Beggar's Knap

Beggar's Knap
Ranked #21 of 45 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We were looking for somewhere to stay for a wedding of a friend and found this little gem online. The owner Mark was incredibly accommodating, showing us the ropes of the place. Inside it was incredible. Our room was the four-poster at the front with bay windows looking over into the town and an en-suite bathtub. The water was hot, the bed luxurious, and the amenities great. I only wish that we hadn't drunk so much the night before as solids in the morning were a no-go however there was a couple eating and theirs nearly tempted my sorry stomach away from the gallons of fresh coffee I required. If you haven't been to Dorchester before then take advantage of Mark and his knowledge/love of Dorchester, but most of all, indulge yourself on your stay, it's what it's there for.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I was booked in at short notice following a recommendation from a work colleague who lives in Dorchester for two nights when moving simultaneously home in Cornwall and "on duty" in Dorset. That was in December 2012 and since then I have stayed for 1 or 2 and upto 4 nights on 20 subsequent occasions, using the house as a base for local or distant duty.Beggars Knap is ideally placed for both railway stations and all Dorchester facilties - all the other reviews (except the one only miserable contribution) are fully supported by my experiences which by now must cover all the various accommodation options. Value and service and support are all that one can hope for and every effort is made to 'personalise' various eccentric requests. The coffee - not to mention the rest of breakfast options - top it all. I recommend BK to my national colleagues with enthusiasm for their short breaks and family events as well as commercial work.

Room Tip: There is bound to be an option in this small and charming house to suit whatever - but you need to g...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We spent two nights in this lovingly restored and very personally decorated house a few minutes stroll from the centre of Dorchester. The host, Mark, is a charming friendly man who gave us good helpful recommendations for pubs and restaurants in the town. Our room was large and nicely furnished and the breakfasts were a treat. This was great value and I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the beggars knap the 17th/18th of this month whilst working in a shop on the high street. Room was perfect. Nice shower,breakfast was lovely and mark was very helpful and a all round nice bloke. Off street parking which was handy for our work van and opposite to a pub and a new complex of bars restaurants although you do not hear any commotion as there's not much commotion in Dorchester! Would definitely recommend to anyone, ideal for a short stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Our family of 2 adults and 2 under 3 booked the family suite that consisted of 2 adjoining rooms and private bath at the top of the house. Loads of space, very comfortable, and we couldn't tell if there was anyone else staying (although Mark did tell us they were full). They were exceptionally accommodating and friendly. I did feel a bit guilty that Mark was texting us late into the evening of one of the May bank holidays but a testament to his customer friendly attitude

It was a great benefit that they had their own off-street parking and literally across the street is the new restaurant/cinema development and was super convenient. We'd definitely recommend them to any family and would stay there again ourselves.

Room Tip: The 2 adjacent family rooms can sleep 5 easily and is on its own separate 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I needed somewhere to stay before a cycle sportive on the Jurassic coast. I booked Beggar's Knap based on location and reviews. Mark texted me to arrange my arrival and breakfast time. A beautiful victorian house with some eclectic decor and trinkets ( I had an old street lamp with a miniature captain hook inside in my en suite) My room was lovely and breakfast superb. I would definitely recommend staying here, I know I'll choose it again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Lovely B&B. Mark is very friendly, helpful and full of useful local information. Other reviewers mention the tricky car park, but the gates are generous and we didn't find it problematic. Certainly don't let it put you off. I loved all the interesting family memorabilia and information on the property itself.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple