“Don't ever stay here.”

The Old Ship Inn
The Old Ship Inn
Ranked #38 of 45 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Transfered from another hotel due to a booking fiasco on their behalf we were greeted with "You won't be going to bed early will you, we close at two". Getting back from Weymouth the pub was quiet apart from the garden where the area where the rooms were. Loud conversation continued with staff sat out until just after 03:15 when they finally left and we could get to sleep. The new management need to realise that rooms are NOT viable.
Do not stay here, even if you are paid.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Sh4rk8yte

Reviewed 23 June 2013

My wife and I were on a Friday visit to Dorchester and looking for a quick bit of lunch. The Old Ship Inn promised much in terms of looking like an old traditional pub and the smells wafting into the rear courtyard suggested traditional pub grub so we decided to give it a go. Bad choice!

The interior is a tad gloomy and projects a 'spit and sawdust' feeling about it. The one adult member of staff was very friendly and welcoming and took our order with a smile.

We sat down to a table that was sticky to the touch, and whilst waiting for the food, we tried to work out exactly what image the pub is trying to project. There were a number of pictures on the walls that ranged from apparent war scenes to American movies and movie stars. There was what appeared to be a model of a world war 2 bomber attached to one wall as well. 'Entertainment' was provided by a couple of large TV screens that were showing 'Heart' music TV, only they were vision only......confusing.

The meal was OK to be fair, and the portion of onion rings very generous. However, it took ages to bring our order to the table which was disappointing as there was only one other couple eating and we had ordered ham egg and chips with the onion rings.

Not a place I can recommend in terms of cleanliness or service I'm afraid.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

After a quick shopping spree we searched for a place to stop and have lunch. This place looked inviting from outside so we went in for a drink and some lunch. The food on the menu was really cheap and therefore my expectations weren't particularly high in terms of quantity and quality! I was very wrong, it came in a large portion, was cooked well and was really tasty - a real delight! The atmosphere was lovely and the service was excellent. I will go there again, definitely highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2012

My understanding is that the ownership of this establishment has recently changed, thus bringing a better quality of food. I have eaten here twice, and both times were not disappointing. The food portions were very generous, and reasonably priced.
Great for a quiet evening out.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I booked for two nights with my partner and two children aged 3 and 4. From the outside The Old Ship Inn looked quaint and welcoming, the parking issues were not so much of a problem(we were warned that there was only a few spaces on a first come first serve basis) however from the moment we arrived we were met with disgusting behavior from who I now know to be the manager, filthy rooms and all round poor service. As we walked in through the back enterence we were met by what can only be described as a gang of drunken, foul mouthed individuals who at the time were picking on a young man by shouting disgusting anti-homosexual abuse at him and his friend.
After we were shown to out room, which looked like it had not been cleaned in several weeks, we went downstairs to sample the food, which we found to be on par with what we had seen from this establishment so far. As the children were tired we decided to get an early night but tose plans went quickly out of the window when the live band started up and the noise continued until 3.25am.
In the morning both myself and my partner made the decision to go searching for new accommodation, which we found and the remainder of our trip was peaceful and thouroughly enjoyable.
I would never stay in the Old Ship Inn again and I would reccommend that anyone considering staying here look else where, we found a lovely hotel just yards away.

Room Tip: Stay away
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank foxylady2406
Reviewed 19 January 2010

Stayed for a week. Sunday to Thursday was quiet, relaxed and charming with very friendly staff and good food. The weekends are noisy because of very popular entertainment but if you know, that's fine. Entertainment was pretty good though!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Quaint to look at as you drive down the high street but the best thing you could do would be to carry on driving and look for somewhere else to stay!!

Were not informed of the 24 hour liscence when rooms were booked. This in reality meant that while the live music ended at a reasonable time, the piped jukebox music went on BLASTING out until 3am and the noise from all the people drinking combined with this meant that sleep in the guest rooms (located directly above all the noise) was impossible.

When booking we were told that there was limited parking on a first come first served basis.....this translated as a narrow alley at the back of the pub with space for one to two cars at most. I opted to park else where away from the pub (limited options) and was glad that I did as the following morning saw piles of broken glasses where I would have had to park my car.

Rooms were clean and basic but getting to them involved clambouring up a cluttered staircase covered in paperwork, boxes and kids toys!

Breakfast was skipped (although not even offered) due to being so tired from the previous night's noise that we felt we could not stomach the thought of eating! This was compounded by the fact that as we walked through the Inn, it felt so dirty as our feet were sticking to the floor.

I would NEVER stay there again and certainly would not recommend it to a friend. I paid £120 for two rooms and had virtually no sleep.....possibly the worst £120 I have ever spent!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family