“Terrible”

The Old Ship Inn
The Old Ship Inn
Ranked #38 of 45 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My room was so small that I had to walk sideways to get around the bed, there was no table or desk where I could do the work I had to do, and the bed was uncomfortable. The furniture was old, there was a sickly smell in the room which was very noisy until the bar closed downstairs. The TV worked most but not all of the time, and it had an extremely limited selection of channels; no BBC channels were available at all. The room was generally very clean but the bathroom could have been better.
When I booked I was aware that breakfast was not included in the price, which is quite common nowadays; I had not imagined I could not get breakfast at all, and I had to go into town for breakfast.
When I arrived and booked in I was told that they would be having parties until 3 o'clock in the morning on my second and third nights, which is no good when you have to be at work early the next morning. To their credit they did offer to find me alternative accommodation for those two nights.
Their ir location is very central, but the publicity saying that there is on-street parking nearby is, in my opinion, a misrepresentation as the on-street parking is for limited periods and expensive. There is a relatively inexpensive long stay car park a few hundred yards away.
The only reasons I am giving them a second star are that they were very helpful and friendly, the Wi-Fi was free and worked perfectly, and their hygiene rating for food (not breakfast), awarded independently, was the maximum.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Frank D

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Went there for lunch after shopping trip. Surprisingly few suitable pubs. Weatherspoons was rammed. Could not believe the prices. Mains for £3 something, bottle yes bottle of wine for £6.99. Less than most pubs charge for 2 x 175 cc glasses. Lasangne adequate, gammon &eggs ok. Portions large. Bit of a delay with food but was lunch time rush. Slightly grubby atmo sphere. Go here if you want a very economical meal. Barman pleasant but worked off his feet. Plenty of kids in there as it was half term & their meals were free! These prices attract all day drinkers so do not expect to sit next to Lord Grantham. Overall well done the Ship

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We chanced upon The Old Ship in between camping trips in Dorset and couldn't have been more delighted.
Located near all the attractions in Dorchester it is ideal for those with a young family to take in all the museums etc. on foot.
The food served at The Old Ship is fabulous pub grub and excellent prices - even made a fussy vegetarian or two happy.
As for the staff and the service they could not have done more for us. It's hard to believe that this family only took over 7 weeks ago.
We wish them all the very best and would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We were due to stay with a group of friends at a hotel in Weymouth but the booking was cancelled in error and the only rooms they could find for four of us to stay was here. When we arrived we were warned that there could be people sat in the garden area until 2am, when they close. We were then showed to our rooms, which were directly next to the garden patio area.

After a night in Weymouth we returned and sat in the garden ourselves for a while, waiting for other drinkers to leave before we went into our rooms. We waited until 1.45 am as they were due to close and lock the back gates at 2am. Unfortunately it seems that everyone, including the bar staff, then decided to sit outside until gone 3am talking loudly and therefore we had a severe lack of sleep.

We left at 9.30 am the following morning and were greeted by the bar staff returning, worse for wear, in the same clothes as they had on the previous evening, looking to get back into the pub.

The rooms were overpriced, they were basic and needed a bit of a clean, and definitely not somewhere to get a good nights sleep!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ClaireC1974
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Transfered from another hotel due to a booking fiasco on their behalf we were greeted with "You won't be going to bed early will you, we close at two". Getting back from Weymouth the pub was quiet apart from the garden where the area where the rooms were. Loud conversation continued with staff sat out until just after 03:15 when they finally left and we could get to sleep. The new management need to realise that rooms are NOT viable.
Do not stay here, even if you are paid.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Sh4rk8yte
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My wife and I were on a Friday visit to Dorchester and looking for a quick bit of lunch. The Old Ship Inn promised much in terms of looking like an old traditional pub and the smells wafting into the rear courtyard suggested traditional pub grub so we decided to give it a go. Bad choice!

The interior is a tad gloomy and projects a 'spit and sawdust' feeling about it. The one adult member of staff was very friendly and welcoming and took our order with a smile.

We sat down to a table that was sticky to the touch, and whilst waiting for the food, we tried to work out exactly what image the pub is trying to project. There were a number of pictures on the walls that ranged from apparent war scenes to American movies and movie stars. There was what appeared to be a model of a world war 2 bomber attached to one wall as well. 'Entertainment' was provided by a couple of large TV screens that were showing 'Heart' music TV, only they were vision only......confusing.

The meal was OK to be fair, and the portion of onion rings very generous. However, it took ages to bring our order to the table which was disappointing as there was only one other couple eating and we had ordered ham egg and chips with the onion rings.

Not a place I can recommend in terms of cleanliness or service I'm afraid.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

After a quick shopping spree we searched for a place to stop and have lunch. This place looked inviting from outside so we went in for a drink and some lunch. The food on the menu was really cheap and therefore my expectations weren't particularly high in terms of quantity and quality! I was very wrong, it came in a large portion, was cooked well and was really tasty - a real delight! The atmosphere was lovely and the service was excellent. I will go there again, definitely highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family