“Tasty And Amazing”

Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This is the sort of place you need to go for lunch, excellent lunches and drinks. staff were really polite to every customer. I had the BLT sandwich was not expecting the size of the meal, very filling which is good for a lunch, the bread was thick but some people like it that way. meals were cooked quickly, and drinks were amazingly refreshing. This is a must go cafe if your in the area also has an excellent back garden which will be nice in the summer to relax and enjoy some tasty breakfast's and lunches. 10/10 :)

Reviewed 20 March 2014

My Husband and myself went here for a meal, I would just like to say how polite and courteous the staff are, you are welcomed when you walk in, you can sit anywhere you want. The menu is very varied an the specials board have great variety. I had the chicken strips and my husband had a breakfast..... it was all superb, the staff cannot do enough for you. The owners also work the café too that makes a difference, polite, and we will definitely be going back A+

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Sadly this review scores on the door as rates poor - 2 stars. I have been eating in The Potters for nearly 4 years and on all previous visits rated it as 4 to 5 star. I ordered ham, egg and chips (on menu) and my partner ordered the lamb tagine (off menu specials). Her meal was excellent but a tad to spicy for her; nevertheless she enjoyed it. However, the meal I ordered was below the standards of some bad greasy spoon cafes I have visited. The frozen chips were hard, overcooked and full of grease. The ham was reformed ham roll, tasteless, and full of water. The eggs were overcooked and solid almost to the point of being inedible. I have eaten this dish on previous occasions here and had no problem. I was under the wrong impression that the ham was their usual local Dorset ham, but the waitress advised me that she did not know if it was Dorset but it was local according to the new menu. She asked the chef who wrote me a curt note telling me to ring the butcher who supplied it if I had a query,; the butcher is located in Blandford 23 miles away. I asked why their menu stated it was local as this as far as I am aware is a mis-representation as local means the nearby environs. All in all there was no apology or offer of compensation, albeit I had eaten the meal because I was not prepared to wait again. I mentioned it again to the counter staff who said they would mention the problem. I should also mention that the restaurant is very noisy at lunchtimes as it is a venue for families with young children. All in all we were very disappointed with Potters and probably will not visit again until we hear some positive news about the standards

1  Thank Jon D
mrspotdorchester, Owner at Potters Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

We have been serving the same ham for the last four years, and if your meal was as bad as you say it was, surely you wouldn't of eaten it! in the 27 years we have been in catering, we have never been so insulted, please do not came back as you will not be served.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Of our party of 4, 3 chose the New York Deli Special sandwich for £7.95 which contained pastrami, gruyere cheese, tomato chutney in rye bread with salad and chips. All of us found the bread to be far too thick, with all of us leaving some, and the pastrami was a bit chewey. However the 4th person ordered a baked potato with chicken, cream cheese and chive topping (£6.50) which was really enjoyed it and in hindsight we all felt that we should have gone with a hot choice.
The service was good and the environment (upstairs) very pleasant so all in all 4x lunches with drinks, including a glass of wine, cost £40

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is the sort of place Dorchester needs - sensibly priced food, a reasonable choice of lunches, and lots of lighter snacks like home-made sandwiches and baked potatoes. Veggie brunch is highly recommended. Decent coffee, too, in large cups - most welcome. It's quieter and pleasanter upstairs than downstairs, which can be a bit crowded and noisy. The young people serving can sometimes seem slightly offhand, but that's only a minor point. And more loos would be welcome, especially when the restaurant is busy!