“Stingy cake portions. Breakfast poor.”

Potters Cafe Bistro
Ranked #12 of 123 Restaurants in Dorchester
Cuisines: Cafe, European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
“Stingy cake portions. Breakfast poor.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Ordered a breakfast here over the bank holiday weekend. It had a nasty sausage all rubbery and gristly tasting. Swapped black pudding for 'anything else'. Suggested bacon but abruptly told they charge for that. Mushrooms tasted like they came from a can. Eggs not cooked properly so all runny like snot on top. Asked for brown sauce and was expecting a bottle of hp but was presented with a thimble that was good for about one rasher of bacon and not much else. Lack of atmosphere. When I left, I noticed big cakes in the window that looked nice and ordered a slice expecting a standard portion you would get in any cafe like starbucks/nero/costa. But my how the girl got her money's worth in terms of portion size. Divided into half then quarters then eighths then sixteenths! It was tiny so had to order a second piece which she seemed to have decided she was still being too generous so cut again this time even narrower than the score line she had created first giving an even smaller piece! There was no need to be this tight and it was such a slither I felt robbed quite frankly. Will never come back here again.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank FranklyLondon

London, UK
“Sublime food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

After a week's touring in West Dorset, this little restaurant made up for all the other disappointing meals we had. Ok, so I'm fussy, but I don't mind paying good money for good food and service. The wonderful thing about the Potters Cafe is that you don't have to pay much for excellent food and sterling service. Proper tea in a proper pot (hang your heads in shame all those establishments that plonk a teabag filled with sweepings into a cardboard cup and charge the earth), lovely fresh bread, super salads, sandwiches, etc. We had a light lunch, but I can't wait to go back to sample the rest of the menu.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
“My restaurant of choice in Dorchester to have lunch with friends or family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have been using this restaurant for many years but the current owners have made significant improvements with the quality of the food.
This is a characterful restaurant situated off the high street and with a back entrance which is near to Waitrose.
This entrance is the way to best access the court yard garden. This is a restful place to sit on a warm day. In the summer the vines hanging overhead offer shade from the sun.
I met my son and mother in law for lunch here and we all enjoyed are meals.
On this occasion we sat inside.
I had mackerel pate and toast. This was home made and well flavoured. The toast was granary and cut from a proper loaf not packet sliced bread!
My son and mother in law had home made fish and chip. They both said they were delicious.
Portion sizes are good and there is a good selection of alternative specials available.
I would recommend this restaurant to visitors who want a relaxed environment, home cooked food with pleasant helpful staff.i have never been disappointed here and it is always full of regular locals.
A very good Sunday lunch is served here.

Taunton, United Kingdom
“A lucky find in Dorchester”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

On a wet Sunday lunchtime in Dorchester, we were looking for something to eat. With Potters we struck gold. An imaginative menu; congenial surroundings; lovely, friendly, efficient staff. The food was excellent, and it was brilliant to see so many families and groups of friends enjoying their meals. If I lived locally I'd be in here all the time.

• Visited April 2014
“the only place in town for me”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Have to say I have been going to potter's for 24 years and I have always enjoy my food the staff and the surrounding. I love that you can bring the kids here for a sandwich or something cooked and that the can draw or build something with bricks while waiting for food. Also nice to see you can be I Nguyen your dog too.

Visited March 2014