“Great time with the family.”

Westwood House Guest House
Ranked #1 of 45 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This is a guest house to recommend to anyone wanting a very convenient place in the middle of Dorchester and we felt it was great value too. Tom and Demelza are really perfect hosts, Tom taking care of the guests while Demelza is busy in the kitchen cooking wonderful breakfasts. The rooms we had were on the top floor housing two rooms that interconnect and the bathroom belongs to that floor alone. Perfect when you have kids. Although it is quite a lot of steps getting there, the view from the roof windows are worth it. Parking is easy, but not free in Dorchester. Best bet is to take a short walk to a huge public car park up the road. And nearby are many really nice restaurants. We had a fantastic time, help by some perfect hospitality from Tom and Demelza and the rooms are superb too. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 July 2011

Having read the reviews prior to staying I was not disappointed. The hospitality from Tom and Melz was second to none (not forgetting the cats and dog!). Room 5 had a seperate sitting area, a bit like a studio flat without the kitchen really. The decor was so lovely that I'm going to recreate it at home! The bed was soooooo comfy and with the room being at the back of the guesthouse, it was pretty quiet too. Free Wifi and a guide to the local restaurants was a nice touch. Breakfast was just right......never without a full cup courtesey of Tom. Sorry to leave!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Shelly74
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Although this is classed as a B&B it is ceratinly superior to many hotels. From the welcome by Tom through the spoltessly clean bedroom to the excellent breakfast along with free wifi we had no complaints, only compliments. The highlight however was the supremely comfortable 6' bed and the best night's sleep that we had experienced for a long time. We now have plans to buy the matress and topper.
A definite recommendation for anyone staying in Dorchester

Room Tip: Room 1 is a quiet room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2011

The problem with writing a positive review is that everyone else could find out what a little gem this place is - then when you want to go back you can't because its full !

It's listed as a guest house but has the feel of a plush hotel, the rooms are scrupulously clean, my wife dropped an earring behind the bed and had to retrieve it - it was spotless. The room we stayed in was not exceptionally large but had high ceilings and had retained some of its original Georgian features. The bed was large and comfortable with lashings of pillows.
The usual facilities were available (tea, coffee, biscuits, Iron, ironing board etc). Excellent Wi-Fi reception which as it was a business trip was very much appreciated.

The bathroom was modern and comfortable with extra large bath-towels and some extra 'stuff' for the ladies which impressed my wife very much, plenty of hot water and a good shower.

My wife met the owner first as she had finished her 'shopping' early while I was still at work - she phoned the guest house to see if she could check in a little earlier than the advertised time and the owner was most helpful and said she could come straight away.

Breakfast - this is when you realise (and are thankful) that you are staying in a guest house - the owner was an exceptional host who attended to you as though you were the most important person ever to have stayed at Westwood House - the breakfast was freshly cooked and of exceptional quality.

Only to balance out this review I have tried to think of a negative - so here goes , I like my breakfast sausages cremated - but they served me some that were 'properly cooked' but I'm sure if I'd asked he would have provided me with suitably blackened bangers - with a cheery smile.

So would we go back - in an instant, this place is very relaxing, provides good quality and is very reasonably priced - a little gem that you'll want to keep to yourself.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TapasTwo
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Awesome place, I raved about it at my meeting with a local client and he was unware of the place. I brought him a stack of cards and he said from my ravings, that he is sure to pass along the cards to all in his business to send all clients there. I was just going to copy and paste what the others have said, I travel alot and this is really one of the bests guest houses I have ever been in. I felt like I should have been paying them more than they were asking for all they do. Great rooms, great food and nice town to explore.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I stayed overnight at the Westwood on 26 occasions during the period January to April 2011 - due to local business committments.
It provided extremely comfortable overnight facilities with a full English breakfast available in the morning if required. And all at very reasonable rates.
Highly Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for Bedroom 6
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian186254
Reviewed 24 March 2011

We had high hopes for this place on reading the other reviews and we weren't disappointed. It all felt very sumptuous and decadent, but for the same price as the most basic accommodation in London. The owner was friendly and accommodating (he let us check in early and didn't mind that I spilt face powder all over the floor); the room was beautifully decorated, with a large en suite and a fantastically big bed (technically two together but with no crack to fall down) and the breakfast in the sunny conservatory was superb (we particularly liked the 'Make your own muesli'). Despite being centrally located the room was quiet and I got one of the best night's sleep I've had in ages. Thank you, and we'd love to come again!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple