We often seek accommodation in the Weymouth area going to or from the Channel ferry and have had some dreadful experiences as the standard of accommodation in Weymouth itself is DIRE.
We were arriving in Weymouth after midnight but the owner was happy to stay up to let us in (with a smile) so that was a great start. We were shown to room 6 - 1st floor front which is a large elegant room at the front of the house. The only small negative is as it's on the main road there is double glazing which keeps out noise but makes it stuffy, there is an air con unit though should it be hot. As we were only there one night and it was late we didn't try to open the outer window but this may be possible. Anyway this is a tiny issue and we will just ask to try a room at the back next time.
Huge king sized bed, super sized bath towels and a sofa in the room - all very comfortable and welcoming. The house itself is elegant with Georgian proportions and high ceilings. There is a comfortable formal sitting room and a light conservatory and decking. There are two black cats and anyone who has complained about them has not read the hotel's website which clearly states that pets are kept!
Having seen us in at 1am Tom was on breakfast duty and cheerful and helpful. The parking is just up the road and inexpensive.
So for anyone going to the ferry at Weymouth - forget staying there, with the new road this is only about 15-20 minutes away and in a different league. Dorchester is also beautiful and unspoilt - very Hardyesque, Casterbridge very much alive. We shall return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in the historic county town of Dorchester, Westwood House is an attractive Georgian property built in 1815 by Lord Ilchester we believe for his coachmen. Converted to a town house guest house and personally run by resident owners Tom & Demelza Stevens, the accommodation offers a comfortable, informal non-smoking environment for the business or leisure visitor during their stay in Dorchester. The guest accommodation comprises of seven en-suite bedrooms all are well equipped with modern facilities, including LCD television with over 30 channels, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities and complimentary Wi-Fi.A variety of restaurants, pubs and cafes are only a short stroll away from the house. Alternatively bring in a take-away and relax in your room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Book Direct Rooms so you can book your Westwood House Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westwood Hotel Dorchester
- Westwood House Guest House Dorchester, Dorset