All reviewsno liftnight portercar parkcomplimentary newspapercreaky floorshigh streetlovely hotelhoneymoon suitefour poster bedthird floorcourtyard roombottled waterlovely roomeggs benedictsuperior roomfull englishfamily room
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We were bought this 5 night break by my sister, bless her. Arrived in time to get one of the parking spaces and were greeted by very friendly staff. We were in a lovely room(112) with a 4 poster bed, flat screen TV, and a 2 person Spa bath,as well as a full sized shower cubicle, very impressive. The room had tea & coffee facilities, bickies and bottled water as well as complimentary daily paper, a nice touch.
Breakfast was perfect was freshly made with a choice of kippers, smoked salmon as well as the ubiquitous full English. Again, really friendly staff even when they were very busy.
Our bed had sheets and blankets on , something I have not slept on for 30 years! but it made up for it with the 4 poster. We did hear noise from the room above occasionally but this did not cause an issue.
We got a space in the car park every night but occasionally had to get staff to move cars in a morning as we were blocked in. This was done quickly and with good humour.
To summarise, we really enjoyed Dorchester , a great base for exploring Dorset and the Minotel Wessex Royale was a lovely , friendly place to stay. Thank you all staff.

Room Tip: 112 is the best room, I think.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bigles
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Driving back up through Dorset late one evening my wife and I were in need of something to eat. We stumbled on the Wessex Royale and enquired if they served evening meals. In all honesty they probably could have done without a couple of hungry tourists turning up on the doorstep late in the evening. However, from that point onwards we were made welcome and comfortable and thoroughly enjoyed a decent meal. The hosts, Tracey and Pauline work well together. This was hospitality at its best and both of us really appreciated the way we were treated. The food was excellent, nothing posh, just simple well cooked fresh ingredients.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Norman T
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I stayed in this hotel for three nights. The best thing about it was the staff, who were (mostly) friendly and helpful. However, there was lots wrong, and we were very disappointed. We were paying £115 a night for a twin room in a 3 star hotel, so were expecting a reasonable standard. On the first night, our room was at the top of several flights of stairs, including ones which went round corners, and ones which were not horizontal, and this was very difficult for us, because I have mobility problems, and we had a pram with us for a baby. The night porter did help us with the pram, but then walked past me, struggling up the stairs with my suitcase.

Although there is a car park, it is very small and was full, so we had to park on the street outside, and get up early to move the car, despite not arriving at the hotel until after midnight. It is not possible to reserve a space in the carpark, even if you are disabled or arriving late.

The room itself was a reasonable size, and was clean, and the bathroom was fine. However, the floor was not horizontal, so that the furniture was all propped up which was odd! That was only a minor inconvenience, though. There was free wi-fi which had a good signal, and a complementary newspaper of your choice, which is good.

On the second day, they moved us to a ground floor, which was helpful of them, but it was much smaller, not very well cleaned (e.g. the teapot was filthy, as if they had forgotten to clean it), didn't have the hotel information booklet in it, nor the menu (both of which we wanted to use), only had intermittent wifi signal, and only had a shower.

I had indicated on the booking that we are vegetarian and, on the first morning, was pleased to see that there was a vegetarian cooked breakfast on the menu, which I ordered. It was fine, and we were given extra toast when requested, and fruit tea. There was also fresh fruit, yogurt, croissants, cereal... Unfortunately, and very surprisingly, since the hotel is next door to a vegetarian/healthfood shop, there were no vegetarian sausages on the second day. When my breakfast came on the second day, it was swimming in water, presumably from the poached egg, and the mushrooms were whole and microwaved, rather than chopped and fried, as they were on the first day. They didn't even give me a second egg, despite not having the veggie sausage. I was not impressed, and can only assume that the weekend chef is not the same as the one on Friday...

We didn't eat in the restaurant, because we were not quite ready to do so before the kitchen closed at 9:30. We asked for a recommendation for an Italian restaurant, and they sent us to Prezzo down the road, which was awful!

Overall, I would say that this hotel was definitely not worth the £115, although the staff, with one exception, were really helpful and friendly and did their utmost to help. Unfortunately, they were not even able to provide us with the number of a local doctor, when we needed it, which was surprising!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I was very happy with my one night stay in this hotel. Obviously as a three star hotel (AA) it is not the Ritz, but the staff were lovely, my (single) room was a reasonable size and the room and bathroom were immaculate (OK. the bathtub was about as small as it could be, but you could always have a shower instead). The breakfast was good.

I read an earlier review complaining about creaking floors. Well, the building is 18th Century, so obviously the wooden floors are going to creak when people walk past. If you can't cope with that, you need to stay in a Travelodge type hotel in some dreary outskirts of the town.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank andrew181
Reviewed 29 June 2012

i stayed in this hotel with my partner and children. the room we had was extremely spacious for a family room and very clean. you could see that the rooms have been refurbished recently and to a high standard. Over all we had a fabulous stay from when we checked in to eating in the restaurant and breakfast. The staff are very helpful and nhothing is too much trouble. Maria on the desk is an excellant asset to the hotel and the head house keeper Rachael is very efficiant. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK LADIES.

Room Tip: all of them
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family