All reviewsno liftnight portercar parkcomplimentary newspapercreaky floorshigh streetlovely hotelhoneymoon suitefour poster bedthird floorcourtyard roombottled waterlovely roomeggs benedictsuperior roomfull englishfamily room
Reviewed 23 September 2012

eight of my In-laws recently came to Dorchester from Cornwall for a 1 night stay, to attend my husbands retirement/birthday party, they were very impressed by the helpful .ness given to them and my Mother-in-law who has great difficulty getting around, she was immediatly offer a room in the coutyard which she was extremely pleased with and found it very comfortable. breakfast was aslo very good,all in all tey really enjoyed there week-end and a very pleasant hotel and staff, thank you Wessex Royale,

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank cleggt
Reviewed 19 September 2012

So my wife and I decided to book for a meal at the Minotel Wessex Royale, upon arrival we did notice the small car parking facilities but we found a space fairly quickly. We have eaten in many places majority being 4 to 5 star restaurants, noticing the Minotel in Dorchester was a 3 star I didn't really know what to expect not only from the food available but also the level of customer service. My wife and I were so very impressed! Every member of staff smiling and happy in their work... Something you don't get even in the highest top end establishments. Moving on to the food we were even more satisfied with our visit, dishes arrived promptly again with great service. Meals were priced well and drinks also didn't damage the wallet. Overall a wonderful time, we don't normally review places but credit where it's due. We will be making another visit very soon. Compliments to the Chef and the welcoming staff.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Skibba321
Reviewed 18 September 2012

The location is wonderful for historic Dorchester but the setting and many of the guests date back to the sinking of the Titanic. Thank goodness they survived to return year on year. The public rooms certainly need a face lift and the dining area appears to have an entrance from the street. The kitchen offers traditional English cooking at an affordable price and acceptable and well priced beverages. Staff are attentive but the bedrooms are small and rather cramped although overall I'd say this is value for money for business. Not a place for honeymooners but after all mine was 32 years ago so who knows?

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2012

we only called in for a lunch time drink and a snack. ordered the starter goats cheese salad with beetroot and garlic.
We know this was only a starter so not a large portion but at £5.50 not cheap.
This small plate arrived, a couple of salad leaves hidden under a round of goats cheese with whole cloves of garlic (5) and the same of beetroot quarters placed around the cheese.
I have never in my life been served whole garlic cloves in such a meal....I asked if we could have some bread to go with the garlic. We waited and waited. In the end just ate this meagre meal with . As we were preparing to leave a plate of french bread arrived.
I said it was too late and that we were not happy. The reception was not prepared to discuss, saying she would talk with the chef. I asked for the manager. Said he was in a meeting - in end she said did I want him to contact him - so I gave my number, This was yesterday - has he phoned - no. very poor.
I did say that I lived in Dorchester, that my group often ate at Wessex and hoped this might have made them aware local people count for their business. obviously not.
I will not be visiting again but go to one of the many good eating houses for a little lunch. I would have thought these days with competition so great places such as this would welcome feedback and opportunity to discuss any issue.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We were bought this 5 night break by my sister, bless her. Arrived in time to get one of the parking spaces and were greeted by very friendly staff. We were in a lovely room(112) with a 4 poster bed, flat screen TV, and a 2 person Spa bath,as well as a full sized shower cubicle, very impressive. The room had tea & coffee facilities, bickies and bottled water as well as complimentary daily paper, a nice touch.
Breakfast was perfect was freshly made with a choice of kippers, smoked salmon as well as the ubiquitous full English. Again, really friendly staff even when they were very busy.
Our bed had sheets and blankets on , something I have not slept on for 30 years! but it made up for it with the 4 poster. We did hear noise from the room above occasionally but this did not cause an issue.
We got a space in the car park every night but occasionally had to get staff to move cars in a morning as we were blocked in. This was done quickly and with good humour.
To summarise, we really enjoyed Dorchester , a great base for exploring Dorset and the Minotel Wessex Royale was a lovely , friendly place to stay. Thank you all staff.

Room Tip: 112 is the best room, I think.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple