A last minute trip to Dorchester, meant I needed a Hotel.
Having lived in Dorchester I knew the Wessex and its location was handy.
The rate was ok - but more important was the confirmed booking since I was travelling 9 hours to get there. I also booked for my sister.
Arriving at 2320 a warm welcome and a night porter awaited.
This place is like a miniature grand hotel. I particularly felt the service was good - all staff from breakfast on Saturday, the night porters to check out when they called me a taxi were first class. This made a huge difference in what could have been difficult circumstances
The Night porter stayed up serving drinks in the bar till well after midnight. Thank goodness for BRITISH cider on draught (Thatchers)
The complimentary paper next morning was welcome and the room was really good - I loved it.
Yes the place is old - I think its called character - the creaky floors, no lifts and slight drains smell in one small area on the ground floor.
The plusses on this trip were far ahead:
Breakfast cooked to order, Gluten free bread and on check out day I asked for lots of breakfast and got it with a smile:-
A shower that surprised me, because it worked well on the third floor was hot and more powerful than other hotels I have stayed in with Shower cubicles!
There was tea in the room, Irons on each floor and limited parking at the back.
The bed was comfortable and nicely dressed and the furniture in the room was suited and appropriate -with character and details.
The built in wardrobe was spacious and had enough hangers
The Bathroom had toiletries which were pleasant, soft large towels and I thought it was really great. Nicely fitted out -simple functional but comfortable.
I didn’t have a meal at the hotel but having read the menu on the last night would be very tempted next time, yes there will be a next time.
Booking at short notice and based on a quick look at TA - with some limited local knowledge -this was a pleasant surprise and both my sister and I decided we will stay here next time.
Finally the location at the top of Dorchester is very good all the shops are in walking distance and the new development (the Eldridge Pope site - sadly) is easily reached.
This small hotel made a big impression - and is recommended for comfort charm and service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wessex Royale Hotel is a delightful Georgian era hotel located in the centre of Dorchester. With classically designed rooms and an excellent central location, The Wessex Royale is ideal for a relaxing break.The Hotel was built in 1756 and features all of the elegance and classic features you would expect from such a property, including fireplaces, panelling and a magnificent grand staircase.Bedrooms display a charming and traditional character with supremely comfortable furnishings to help you feel well rested.All rooms have modern en-suite bathrooms with a bath and power shower, premium digital channels and Wireless Internet connections to help you wind down with “home away from home” comforts and little touches that truly make you feel welcome. The á la carte restaurant is open each evening and offers a variety of traditional and exciting new dishes. The meals on offer are of a consistently excellent standard, making the restaurant popular with guests and locals alike. Fully refurbished with air conditioning, offering a wide range of traditional and new world wines to compliment your meal, you are assured a meal of the highest quality.The Wessex Royale Hotel is a family friendly option near the many activities and attractions in the area, including Maiden Castle, Roman Townhouse, Thomas Hardy’s cottage, the Tutankhamun Exhibition, and Dinosaur Museum.Food and wine aficionados will appreciate the in house restaurant, which offers specialty cuisine, homemade desserts, and an impressive wine list. There is also a locally popular bar and lounge, perfect for afternoon tea or a quick glass of beer. This hotel is a popular venue for weddings and other intimate occasions. Limited free parking is offered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your BEST WESTERN Wessex Royale Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Minotel Wessex Royale Hotel Dorchester
- Minotel Hotel Wessex Royale
- Minotel Dorchester
- Dorchester Minotel
- BEST WESTERN Wessex Royale Hotel Dorchester, Dorset