Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel
The Casterbridge(Dorchester)
US$156
US$137
  • Breakfast included
The Fox Inn(Dorchester)(Great Value!)
US$83
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Yalbury Cottage(Dorchester)
US$121
All reviewsno liftnight portercar parkcomplimentary newspaperbar menucreaky floorshigh streetlovely hotelhoneymoon suitekippersfour poster bedthird floorbed was comfortablecourtyard roombottled waterstreet parkingfamily room
Reviewed 27 November 2013

A last minute trip to Dorchester, meant I needed a Hotel.
Having lived in Dorchester I knew the Wessex and its location was handy.
The rate was ok - but more important was the confirmed booking since I was travelling 9 hours to get there. I also booked for my sister.
Arriving at 2320 a warm welcome and a night porter awaited.

This place is like a miniature grand hotel. I particularly felt the service was good - all staff from breakfast on Saturday, the night porters to check out when they called me a taxi were first class. This made a huge difference in what could have been difficult circumstances

The Night porter stayed up serving drinks in the bar till well after midnight. Thank goodness for BRITISH cider on draught (Thatchers)
The complimentary paper next morning was welcome and the room was really good - I loved it.
Yes the place is old - I think its called character - the creaky floors, no lifts and slight drains smell in one small area on the ground floor.
The plusses on this trip were far ahead:
Breakfast cooked to order, Gluten free bread and on check out day I asked for lots of breakfast and got it with a smile:-
A shower that surprised me, because it worked well on the third floor was hot and more powerful than other hotels I have stayed in with Shower cubicles!
There was tea in the room, Irons on each floor and limited parking at the back.
The bed was comfortable and nicely dressed and the furniture in the room was suited and appropriate -with character and details.
The built in wardrobe was spacious and had enough hangers
The Bathroom had toiletries which were pleasant, soft large towels and I thought it was really great. Nicely fitted out -simple functional but comfortable.

I didn’t have a meal at the hotel but having read the menu on the last night would be very tempted next time, yes there will be a next time.

Booking at short notice and based on a quick look at TA - with some limited local knowledge -this was a pleasant surprise and both my sister and I decided we will stay here next time.
Finally the location at the top of Dorchester is very good all the shops are in walking distance and the new development (the Eldridge Pope site - sadly) is easily reached.
This small hotel made a big impression - and is recommended for comfort charm and service.

Room Tip: I suspect in summer it could be warm - I had a top floor room at the front - in summer Id ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank C0zyP
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Recently stayed whilst travelling in the UK.
Food & service were excellent.
Room was well appointed.
Location was convenient.
The only drawback was the limited car parking.
Would definitely stay again & would recommend.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank away-from-home-2250
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed here as a single lady breaking my journey while visiting friends and family. It was a welcome retreat, very comfortable with every facility I required. Very friendly and helpful staff. I dined next door in a conveniently located Thai restaurant, also excellent, and retired to my perfectly comfortable bed. I found the room overheated and never figured out how to adjust this, other than opening the window, but I'm sure that could easily have been rectified. Breakfast was varied, plentiful and inviting, with complimentary newspaper, ordered the day before, and the Tutankhamen exhibition is just along the road.
Alround a very good value for money and most enjoyable stop-over.

Room Tip: Rooms out onto the parking area behind, where I was, will be quieter I expect.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank sheila s
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed for business and the hotel is on a very good location, the hotel building is very old and a little renovated but please note rooms are very small, just enough for a double bed. The breakfast is good and hotel offers very good value for money. There waster temperature is not so persistent and you could have a very hot water burning yourself without touching the tap. The internet WIFI connection in the rooms don't usually work due to the old building and walls being very thick. However in lobby and reception is just fine.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Twister_Teddy
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The hotel is clean warm and friendly; although the building is obviously dated the rooms are modern and brightly decorated. My only criticism is the creaky floors, but hey, you get that with buildings of this age. Parking is limited and a tight squeeze if you have a 4 x4 or van. I stayed here on business but I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here with the wife, the people where very friendly and the breakfast nicely presented.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business