“What a place”

115 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“What a place”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I would like to know how long it would take today's earthmovers to construct this with today's equipment. A huge undertaking with antler picks and rudimentary shovels and covers such an enormous area. Walking round the perimeter you can imagine how important it was to the inhabitants and what a shock it must have been to them when the Romans conquered it. Take a picnic and eat in the Roman temple at the middle. Very impressive.

1 Thank GEOFFREY B

Cambridge, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Atmospheric hill fort, impressive in size”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

You certainly get a good impression of how good a defence the maze of ring ditches on this hill fort would be. Some are near vertical even today. Sheep graze the grassy banks and its good for a walk round. Close to a fairly main road near Dorchester, so does not offer real tranquility. Views are good, but not really far reaching.

1 Thank clare r
Weymouth, England, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Perfect for Dog Walking”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We love Maiden Castle as well as historical it offers breath taking views over Dorchester and is perfect for letting your dogs off their leads for a good run secure they can't go anywhere .
If you like quiet then perfect for picnics although you may find their are quite a lot of sheep !

3 Thank Katrina T
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Excellent place to visit”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Easy to spot , easy to park, slight climb up . Fantastic views, skylarks singing. Saw the remains of the roman temple and the roundhouses . Walked the boundary . Thoroughly enjoyable visit to the great place.

2 Thank cust0merservicequeen
London
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Take a walk with your ancestors....”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We went away for a few days and, on the way back from Gloucestershire, I found myself on a surprise 4 hour detour. Noting that I was pleasantly surprised to stumble across an iron age fort close to our flat in the London suburbs, my other half had secretly arranged a diversion on the way home from a v relaxing holiday to see Maiden Castle. I'd never heard of it. I wasn't pleased to have an additional 4 hours tacked on to our already lengthy journey home. Was bursting for the loo when we arrived - no facilities here - and both of us burn like vampires in the sun so we spent 10 mins in the car park wrestling with suncream. As we began the trudge up the hill, it's safe to say, I was not a happy camper.

But Maiden Castle changed my mind. It's stunning. We were especially lucky to have the place mostly to ourselves. Even if you're not interested in history, there are stunning views to be had and it's a lovely stroll through flocks of friendly sheep. I found it very atmospheric, one of those places that just seems to reek history. There are some information boards dotted around that fill you on in the lifestyles of our ancestors in this spot.

Highly recommended - a lovely window into the past.

Visited May 2014