“Well Worth a Visit”

Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: Indian, Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Martyrs Inn, in the historic village of Tolpuddle, near Dorchester, Dorset, is a delightful country pub serving our local, visitor and tourism trade. We offer a range of great home cooked food, using locally sourced ingredients, we work hard to be excellent value and offer all our diners a relaxed atmoshphere for eating. Open all day with food served 12noon until 9pm (8pm on Sunday) with regular great value dining such as curry night monday, fish and chip friday and our all day sunday carvery.
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We recently visited The Martyrs on our way to spend two weeks in the area. Being a Monday lunchtime and wet the Inn was very quiet but we still received the warmest of welcomes. The very friendly and cheerful waitress took our order and quickly brought us the requested pot of tea and also a complimentary salad bowl for each of us. Our main courses arrived in due course. I had ordered fish pie from the specials board with some trepidation as so often the anticipation far outweighs the result. But I'm happy to say that this was possibly the best fish pie I have ever had and that includes my home made! It was packed with a variety of fish and absolutely delicious. My husband had gammon and found it very tasty.
We made a return visit our second week. This time it was a Friday lunchtime and not raining. There were at least 20 other people (and a well behaved dog!) enjoying lunch. The meal my husband wanted wasn't available which was a shame but he still found something very acceptable. I had a lasagne ...not very adventurous I know, but a good one is very good and this one was very good! My only slightly negative comment about it is that I was asked if I wanted chips or new potatoes. Surely if you are eating a pasta dish you don't need potato as well?
The Martyrs doesn't pretend to be fine dining but the food they serve is well cooked and tasty and the service very friendly. We will return next time we are in the area.

Owen D, Director of Sales at The Martyrs Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Elizabeth

Thanks for your review, and thanks for visiting twice!

I always think that the best judge of a pub is its Lasagne, and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed yours so much, as with everything on the menu, its all home-made using the most local of ingredients.

I note your comment about the side options on the lasagne, its a love-hate kind of thing, so on our next menu, we are going to serve Lasagne as is with some salad, and those who want chips can add them as a side.

Owen

There are newer reviews for The Martyrs Inn

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Came in for Sunday lunch to find they had just started doing a Sunday carvery, we had a choice of meat and veg, the quality of meat was just fantastic , my wife went for the vegetarian suet pudding which thought was divine, we were looked after by sue and she was so welcoming , visited here before and would HIGHLY recommend a visit, will be coming back more often, thanks martyrs inn.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the review about our new Carvery, at £13.99 to include dessert and a drink, its not the cheapest but we want it to be the best, so lots of local meat and fresh vegetables!

Look forward to welcoming you again.

Best wishes

Owen

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stopped here for lunch on our way to the West Country. A warm welcome, great 'pub grub', Badger beer, and a log fire. Everything you want in a country pub.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Passing through Tolpuddle we felt the need for lunch - and lo and behold there in front of us was the Martyrs Inn. Far from crowded on a Monday lunchtime we felt a little on our own in a quite spacious interior (with a nice log fire in full flow). We were quickly served, and advised that the leak and potato soup was excellent. So it proved, served with crusty, hot bread and butter. A drizzle of olive oil over the top of the soup added to the flavour. Very pleasant and filling. Well worth a stop.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

After a slight detour from our original route from Portsmouth to Weymouth we came across this restaurant/pub off the A35 in Tolpuddle.
Parked in the car park of the pub and was greeted by a warm venue and friendly staff. They had a curry buffet on but we asked if they did normal food which they did. We picked a small table by the fire and had our drinks order taken. Shortly after we ordered our food.
The pub is spacious and warm feeling with red colours throughout.
Only a short time passed and our starters arrived, baked camembert and a half pint of prawns and squid. Both starters were substantial and really delicious.
Our plates were cleared quickly and our mains shortly followed. I had the pork belly with a side of chips and my other half had the gammon. The pork belly was divine. It was beautifully cooked and the flavours were amazing. As a chef I could not fault the meal from start to finish.
I would've loved to have had a dessert but I was far to full.
The toilets were a little cold but clean and fully working. The staff were attentive and friendly and the food was fabulous.
I would definitely recommend this venue to anyone and will be making this a regular detour now.
Also it was brilliant value for money, we had two starters, two mains, three drinks and two coffees for all under £50.