“Helpful and surprisingly inexpensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe on the Green

Cafe on the Green
Ranked #32 of 123 Restaurants in Dorchester
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Helpful and surprisingly inexpensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

When I agreed to meet some friends here last week, fora business meeting, as it was Poundbury (Prince Charles development) I was expecting this to be overpriced and snobby. Exactly the opposite! This cafes' idea of employing staff who have learning difficulties is great, and they were all impressive, and did really well. The supervising staff were all very friendly, and obviously caring and patient towards their staff, and enthusiastic about their business. The food was fine, and really good value. Thank you. I look forward to my next visit. Poundbury itself, though, was a little strange, and seemed a little like the virtual town in the 'Prisoner', something not quite real. But the few people we met all seemed very friendly, and I am sure it hums as a community on social occasions. Well worth a visit, if only to learn and help influence builders to consider that there are viable alternatives to building cramped little boxes and squeezing them into ghetto piles. The quality of life here seemed better, but we noticed the density of the newbuilds was increasing. I hope HRH keeps the greedy developers in check, and encourages more super little businesses like the Cafe on the Green.!

• Visited October 2012

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Brilliant service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

This little cafe is in Poundbury, and is near the main entrance to this town. I was immediately impressed by the staff, who although having learning difficulties, gave a quality service which is so often lacking in more prestigious establishments. As the weather was fine, we sat at one of the outside tables overlooking the Green. Quickly our order appeared, again served with politeness and a smile. The food was excellent and good value. We came away full of praise for this little gem. It also made us realise that with the right training and encouragement the important part staff with learning difficulties can play. The owners are to congratulated for giving these youngsters a chance, with a great result. I only wish I lived nearer, as this would be a regular haunt of mine.

• Visited September 2012
Sherborne, United Kingdom
“Food for thought”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

This lovely cafe manages to combine great food whilst giving people with learning difficulties the chance to work in a structured way. The food is excellent and the staff are very friendly. Somewhere to pop in for coffee with friends or a great place for a cooked breakfast or lunch. Will defiantly visit again.

• Visited July 2012
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Quaint and lovely little place, really worth a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

My husband and I came here for a date morning (brunch). We sat outside on one of the small tables in the sunshine near the big water fountain on the green. There is ample free parking. The restuarant has been really tastefully decorated. The owner is an inspiration and employs staff with learning difficulties and supports them at work. The food was cooked to literal perfection. We had the full English breakfast and a pot of tea. The cafe is always really busy when we have been there and once we have had to turn away - which instead of getting annoyed about - I am so pleased people are supporting the cafe so well. We always try get a table in there first before going elsewhere to support the community work being done there. There are also some lovely comfy leather sofas inside for those relaxing coffee mornings. I would encourage you to visit if you have not done so already.

• Visited August 2011