“5 star home from home”

Ranked #5 of 45 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Argyll, Scotland
“5 star home from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Little Court recaptures the halcyon days of Edwardian leisure, the warm red-brick 1909 house of symmetrical proportions, the secluded walled garden with old-fashioned shrubs and climbers, all delightfully modernised to a very high standard of comfort and luxury.

Taking my elderly mother away for a few days holiday is usually difficult, but Amanda and her team at Little Court guest house could not have been more helpful and made our 2 night stay one of the most comfortable and relaxed short breaks I have ever experienced. My mother celebrated her 92nd birthday while we were there and we came down to our breakfast table complete with a birthday banner and then Amanda and her staff then presented my mother with a card and chocolates, a lovely gesture much appreciated.

This is a wonderful place whether you are a honeymoon couple, a family, or pensioners like us. The rooms are mini-suites, equipped with everything from neat coffee/tea boxes to iron and ironing board. The bathrooms have been given special attention from tiling to towels, the beds are comfortable, the chairs cushioned. Downstairs in the guest lounge the soft sofas, sherry decanter, and study corner with computer and WiFi invite you to make yourself at home. The breakfasts are delectable with local "properly yellow" eggs and bacon (or choose smoked salmon and scrambled eggs), as well as the usual continental provisions. The breakfast room opens out on to the beautiful lavender-scented Gertrude Jekyll style walled garden, ideal for a morning/evening stroll. And for the more active, there is a swimming pool and tennis court. You feel like a house-party guest at one of those country weekends in 1910.

Our thanks to Amanda and her ladies who go the extra mile to give their guests the perfect place to stay. (And there is a good pub, the Sun Inn, within walking distance a quarter of a mile down the road serving excellent evening meals and friendly service.)

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back overlooking the wonderful garden, quieter (no road traffic noise) than the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

stayed one night mid-week beautiful grounds good wine very well kept
nice breakfast (oldy worldy feel to the very old house) but very enchanting
immaculately clean and tidy trendy bathrooms good routes to Dorchester
and surrounding areas no problem traffic wise would definitely stay again

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Little Court in July and it was great. Amanda leaves you alone to do what you want to do.....Play tennis, swim in the pool or just sit around in the lounge but she miraculously appears when you need her and is very helpful. Beautiful garden and countryside, nice breakfast served by pleasant, polite waitress.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Clive S
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here a few weeks back prior to my wedding and on my actual wedding night in the room with the 4 poster bed.

Amanda & Keith were fantastic hosts, too, and the breakfasts here are excellent. Upon returning on my wedding night they had left a bottle of wine chilling on ice which I thought was a lovely touch.

I'd recommend this B&B to anyone looking for a clean and well run B&B.

TIP - Take your swimwear as there is a outdoor pool!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Orpington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

What a superb B&B which my boyfriend had kindly arranged for my birthday after a trip to the nearby attraction Monkey World.

We were greeted by Amanda who provided us with a lovely cool beverage of our choice, the other half chose a bottle of beer, I opted for a glass of white wine and it went down a treat, just what we needed ! Amanda, one of the owners had organised for flowers in my room for my birthday which was another great little touch. The room was very clean and the bed was amazingly comfy I can honestly say I had the best nights sleep I have had in a long while.

The B&B is situated in a quiet part of Dorset, Amanda gave us recomendations of where to eat / drink and advised us on the gardens, tennis courts and swimming pool.
The gardens were immaculate and we happily had a stroll around the gardens to investigate further.

The bathroom was a good size with lots of clean towels, shower gel and shampoo with a nice bath and shower head its great to get given a choice of shower or bath.

I couldnt of asked for more and the owners Amanda and Keith were so welcoming.
Top marks on this little gem!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6 - it was one of the smaller rooms but had such an amazing view and the bathroom...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I booked for my partner and I to spend one night at Little Court for Good Friday. We received a wonderful welcome from the owners who were happy to show us where the tennis racquets were and warn us of the chilly temperature of the pool (not that we were bothered by that)! The gardens an house are beautiful, lovingly decorated and cared for. We had a wonderful room and even though Amanda told us it was one of the smaller rooms we loved it because it was cosy and had a fabulous view of the garden and countryside beyond. I have to say the bathroom was fabulous and about half the size of the bedroom but seemed very indulgent and sumptuously decorated. The bed and bedding was the comfiest we have ever slept in. After recommendations of local eateries from the owners we took the (very short!) drive to Dorchester to brewery square where we had a lovely meal an came back after picking up a bottle of wine. Amanda had been kind enough to give us wine glasses and bottle opener on our return so we snuggled up in fantastic comfort and had a glass or two :)
Breakfast was delicious, mostly if not all locally sourced and delicious non cooked options like croissants and cereals as well as fruit and fruit salad. Looking forward to our next trip there!

• Stayed April 2014
Tunbridge Wells
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Wow, what a fantastic little B and B. Really friendly, clean, comfortable pretty rooms. Stayed here on business but will defiantly return for pleasure with my family for a weekend stay at some point. I could have asked for more.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorchester
BEST WESTERN Wessex Royale Hotel
#1 of 2 in Evershot
Bay Tree House
Bay Tree House
#9 of 45 in Dorchester

Been to Little Court? Share your experiences!