“Shining star of Dorchester's cafes”
Review of The Loft

The Loft
Ranked #29 of 138 Restaurants in Dorchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

I endeavour to visit The Loft whenever I'm in Dorchester as it encapsulates everything great about independant cafe culture.

Contrary to the review below me, the two charming ladies who welcome you have been nothing but professional, diligent, and above all always smiling and on the ball!

The food here is always beautifully presented and is without a doubt in my mind the best lunch to be had in Dorchester.

Keep up the good work, ladies.

You run a stellar cafe which sets a high standard for any other local business to aspire to.

Reviewed 5 February 2013

Did we choose the wrong day? If so, perhaps the dysfunctional couple of harrassed looking ladies who were running this place on the day we arrived could let customers know when to visit in order to receive good service. We'd put an hour of parking in the meter. We went straight to the Loft and ordered a de-caff Americano and a Latte. This is not a complicated order. Genuinely concerned about getting a parking ticket after 10 then 20 then 40 minutes wait - and we weren't the only ones - one of the ladies took a break from harrumphing behind the counter and slamming metal trays around and thumped two coffees down in front of us. Unfortunately they were for other customers who'd arrived about five minutes earlier. We were sitting in full view of the staff. It was, actually, quite funny in a Sybil Fawlty type way. Next time we'll put three hours in the meter to give them a fighting chance. Oh, a tip: it's not nice for customers to view a load of toilet rolls, bleach and cleaning stuff that's been dumped near the stairs. Doesn't add value to the 'experience'. A very amateur operation.

2  Thank Denimes
Sally D, Owner at The Loft, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

I find it very difficult to believe that you would sit and wait 40 minutes for a cup of coffee. If I had been waiting more than 10 minutes, I would ask a member of staff about it. I do not believe what you have written - whilst we might be busy and harrumping about, we would no longer be in business if we really did run such a shoddy service. I will admit that at times mistakes are made - we are very human - and sometimes orders are lost. But we are not not incompetent and I would suggest that you are the most incredibly patient beings in the world if you sat there for 40 minutes without saying a word. Good for you. In such an impatient world, it is nice to think that, despite a ticking parking meter, you have such patience. And just to put your fears to rest, we do not store our loo rolls etc, on the stairs. We do have a cupboard for them. But between them being delivered (during working hours), and us having a minute to put them away, they have to rest somewhere. Actually, since you had such a long time to wait for your coffee, you could have done that for us......

Reviewed 5 January 2013

This is a small, cosy eatery, serving good quality and imaginative food.
Coffee could be better, but that is my only gripe.

1  Thank CPMS
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Really lovely little cafe in Antelope Walk, Dorchester, tucked away so you`ll have to look for it (just past the pasty shop....also sells very nice pasties!), more seating upstairs....really lovely, good quality, home made food, lovely coffee, friendly staff....

1  Thank WestCountryMolly
Reviewed 3 December 2012

This is a lovely cafe with great tapas food with a twist .Food and drink to die for and all freshly prepared .Staff excellent and allways friendly and smileling ,cant wait to visit again soon .

1  Thank nicolahigginsdorset