“Nice, but I feel overpriced. ”
Review of The Loft

The Loft
Ranked #26 of 135 Restaurants in Dorchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

A late, light lunch for 2 (1 piece of frittata and a single goats cheese pastry with a side salad for 2), 2 cold drinks, no hot drinks, no dessert or cake, just shy of £23. Left still hungry as was underwhelmed with portion size and choose to move on to get coffee and dessert. Lunch was displayed downstairs before we sat upstairs with no prices on show. Yes, I could have asked the price of everything on display but thought it would all be a reasonable price. Upon paying I initially thought she had the price wrong as the lady preparing the bill seemed to make an error on the till. But once again the total came back at just under £23. I was a bit shocked and walked away adding up the possible prices of everything (no itemised receipt) also questioning wether I was being too judgmental. Having had time to reflect I felt it was pricey for what it was.

That said, the food was nice. The ambiance was unique and the staff were friendly and helpful. But worth the guts of £23? In my opinion, no.

Also, made a point of stating on the menu that only free range eggs were used but did not use free range chicken. Would be nice to see FR more readily available.

5  Thank Cormaclinehan
Sally D, Owner at The Loft, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

I am not a follower of Trip Adviser - if I don't like somewhere, I simply don't return. I certainly don't think that the rest of the world is interested in hearing my very subjective experiences. On occasion, however, I do feel that a reviewer requires a response. As on this occasion where I feel the reviewer has been disingenuous and misleading. The food is described as frittata and goats cheese pastry with a side salad for two. What they got was a smoked salmon and brie frittata and goats cheese and leek quiche with green salad and roasted red pepper coulis. The large plate of salad (to share) consisted of four salads - beetroot with black olives, orange zest and red onion salsa, tabbouleh with tomatoes, fresh mint and parsley, roasted morrocan spiced root veg cooked with cinnamon sticks and star anise and served with chickpeas, and roasted mediterranean peppers and courgette with harissa. For that we charge £8.95 each. Everything we serve is made freshly on the premises each day - the only thing we buy in is the bread. There are very few restaurants or cafes that can claim that. The prices we charge are no more expensive than other cafes, but the food we serve is as fresh as it can be, and imaginative. Consequently i do not know how it can be considered over-priced. If what we do is not to your taste, that is fine. We are not going to appeal to everybody, and nor do we want to. But it is ironic that someone complaining about the price, then berates us for not have free-range chicken! Would they really be willing to pay what that would cost....... The only drinks we serve are top quality - in this instance Fentimans, for which we charge £2.75. When broken down, this meal is not over-priced. We charge what we have to in order to stay in business - nobody is ever going to make much money running a cafe, believe me. On top of all of this, on a bill for £23.00, nearly £4.00 of it goes straight to the government in the form of VAT - which I have to pay whether I run the business at a loss, or manage to make a profit. If people want to eat out more cheaply, perhaps they should spend more time and energy petitioning the government to reduce the unfairness of VAT on food eaten out - we would all be 20% better off for that!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We visited Dorchester in November 2013, and its was a little chilly to say the least. During our meanderings through the quaint arcades of the town we found this lovely little cafe, "The Loft" we entered and our order was taken and we went upstairs to the "Loft", a very pleasant room with five table's for dining.

The coffees more or less followed us up and was very nice, a little strong, but still very nice on that cold day.

If you intend to visit (and I would recommend that you do) it's in a little arcade on the left hand side of the High street as you walk up the street.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

A small but interesting cafe in Antelope Walk that I have visited several times. Always has slightly different menus but tasty. Freshly prepared.Served with a smile and helpful staff. Sometimes have to share a table but I realise that as a small establishment this may happen. I think good value( but I do live in London). I would definitely recommend to friends and family(already have!) never been failed yet.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and myself were visiting Dorchester as a one off trip. We noticed lots of tea rooms around the town that looked very charming. We had been browsing in a local shop and opposite was this cafe, thought we would give it a try. When we walked in the cafe, there wasn't a menu to be seen so my husband looked at what was shown in the plastic cases on the counter, when they has us our orders they weren't very helpful. Then they told us to take a seat upstairs, there was very limited space which was a little bit too intimate with other people; we had another couple sit on the table beside us who we had to move our table to let them in, it was like they were sitting on our laps!!! Our coffee took a long time to arrive and when it did it was wrong, again we had to wait a good ten minutes and it was quite bitter taste. We also then spotted a menu!!! They did a variety of items my husband would much preferred! When we left my hair smelt of baking which wasn't a nice lasting memory. This cafe has potential, think they need feedback like this to help get it right!!

3  Thank nattavp
Reviewed 26 August 2013

To start with the Coffee is excellent and the sausage rolls are the best in the west country (not my quote but the gossip in Dorchester). If you love food and always looking for something new to try The Loft provide international ingredients to a trendy menu. In fact there isnt exactly a menu because all the food is made freshly in front of you with regularly changing flavours. So the food is all about pick and mix, so think Spanish Tapas verses Greek Mese with an oriental twist. There is security for those who are less adventurous with soups, baked potatoes and ciabatas. The food is made with enthusiasm by the staff adding their own personal touches from huge comforting cheese scones to totally everything-free (gluton, dairy, fat) seeded slices. It is ideal for a take-away healthy salad lunch, cosy breakfasts on brown bread, tea and cake or my favourite, lunch with the girls and a bottle of Prosecco to share. And that lunch can be at anytime within their opening hours. How flexible!!!

1  Thank paetra w
Sally D, Owner at The Loft, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We at the cafe are passionate about creating fresh, delicious food on a daily basis, and really love it when people appreciate our hard work.