“Goon & Dark Horse Honesty Box”
Review of The Loft

The Loft
Ranked #27 of 132 Restaurants in Dorchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Called in today for a second time for hot chocolate and cake (tiffin & apple cake with clotted cream), we'd had tea and lumberjack pudding the first time around. The cafe is welcoming, interesting, cosy and offers a range of delicious high quality home made food; staff were busy preparing fresh vegetables for roasting when we left. Slightly tucked out of the way we strongly recommend you search this place out. It tops Costa, Starbucks et al every day of the week.

1  Thank Christopher G
There are newer reviews for The Loft

Reviewed 12 January 2014

The Loft is really lovely. I am surprised by the owner's reply to a previous review. Yes, of course all reviews are someone's subjective opinion. But people are interested and reviews en masse are usually an accurate representation of what you might expect. Consumers find this very helpful. The positive reviews on Trip Advisor can only, surely, add to The Loft's reputation and its chances of surviving.

The Loft obviously has an ethos and a vision - seasonal food, home cooked - easy ambience - and it really delivers. The array of freshly prepared food on show when you walk through the door is a testament to this. It looks gorgeous. Yes, the premises is small - yes, perhaps it could be clearer when you arrive as to what is on offer, but it's not that difficult to find out! And yes, this is really good food and good food costs money. Let's face it, you can pay quite handsomely for very average food.

We had a very tasty lunch here and felt we had had good value for our money. That is my subjective opinion!!!!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I discovered this small 'eaterie'...its too good to be called jast a cafe......a delight to all the senses. The smell from outside was wonderful, the look of the place is just right. On entering the atmosphere in heavenly, a mixture of sights, sounds foodie perfumes and exceptionaly friendly and helpful staff....my dog was made to feel welcome too!
I only had a coffee and a cinamon whirl but both as good as they could be, the menu was a great mix and from the look of the food out on display would be fab.
Small but perfectly formed I would say, its a shame that its position restricts its size but never the less its a good place to be...I will be back ..especially for the gourmet evenings that are offered now and again........as for the last review suggesting it may be 'overpriced' I can only say rubbish....you pay for what you get and in this case I would suggest its excellent value for money.

Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

A late, light lunch for 2 (1 piece of frittata and a single goats cheese pastry with a side salad for 2), 2 cold drinks, no hot drinks, no dessert or cake, just shy of £23. Left still hungry as was underwhelmed with portion size and choose to move on to get coffee and dessert. Lunch was displayed downstairs before we sat upstairs with no prices on show. Yes, I could have asked the price of everything on display but thought it would all be a reasonable price. Upon paying I initially thought she had the price wrong as the lady preparing the bill seemed to make an error on the till. But once again the total came back at just under £23. I was a bit shocked and walked away adding up the possible prices of everything (no itemised receipt) also questioning wether I was being too judgmental. Having had time to reflect I felt it was pricey for what it was.

That said, the food was nice. The ambiance was unique and the staff were friendly and helpful. But worth the guts of £23? In my opinion, no.

Also, made a point of stating on the menu that only free range eggs were used but did not use free range chicken. Would be nice to see FR more readily available.

5  Thank Cormaclinehan
Sally D, Owner at The Loft, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

I am not a follower of Trip Adviser - if I don't like somewhere, I simply don't return. I certainly don't think that the rest of the world is interested in hearing my very subjective experiences. On occasion, however, I do feel that a reviewer requires a response. As on this occasion where I feel the reviewer has been disingenuous and misleading. The food is described as frittata and goats cheese pastry with a side salad for two. What they got was a smoked salmon and brie frittata and goats cheese and leek quiche with green salad and roasted red pepper coulis. The large plate of salad (to share) consisted of four salads - beetroot with black olives, orange zest and red onion salsa, tabbouleh with tomatoes, fresh mint and parsley, roasted morrocan spiced root veg cooked with cinnamon sticks and star anise and served with chickpeas, and roasted mediterranean peppers and courgette with harissa. For that we charge £8.95 each. Everything we serve is made freshly on the premises each day - the only thing we buy in is the bread. There are very few restaurants or cafes that can claim that. The prices we charge are no more expensive than other cafes, but the food we serve is as fresh as it can be, and imaginative. Consequently i do not know how it can be considered over-priced. If what we do is not to your taste, that is fine. We are not going to appeal to everybody, and nor do we want to. But it is ironic that someone complaining about the price, then berates us for not have free-range chicken! Would they really be willing to pay what that would cost....... The only drinks we serve are top quality - in this instance Fentimans, for which we charge £2.75. When broken down, this meal is not over-priced. We charge what we have to in order to stay in business - nobody is ever going to make much money running a cafe, believe me. On top of all of this, on a bill for £23.00, nearly £4.00 of it goes straight to the government in the form of VAT - which I have to pay whether I run the business at a loss, or manage to make a profit. If people want to eat out more cheaply, perhaps they should spend more time and energy petitioning the government to reduce the unfairness of VAT on food eaten out - we would all be 20% better off for that!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We visited Dorchester in November 2013, and its was a little chilly to say the least. During our meanderings through the quaint arcades of the town we found this lovely little cafe, "The Loft" we entered and our order was taken and we went upstairs to the "Loft", a very pleasant room with five table's for dining.

The coffees more or less followed us up and was very nice, a little strong, but still very nice on that cold day.

If you intend to visit (and I would recommend that you do) it's in a little arcade on the left hand side of the High street as you walk up the street.