“small but perfectly formed”
Review of The Loft

The Loft
Ranked #26 of 134 Restaurants in Dorchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a tiny cafe hidden in Antelope walk in Dorchester.

The tea was lovely and I had a goats cheese pastry as light bite.
Not a pushchair friendly if you have young children but luckily a friend and I both both our babies in slings.

Makes a change to likes of costa and it's nice to support a local independent business as they add a little extra to local town centre's!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were visiting Dorchester and wanted to eat something- but we weren't sure what. We did know that we didn't want a pasty (along the same passage as the Loft) or to go to a tea room. Nothing was inspiring us until we looked in the window of the Loft. The menu was interesting, and the home made sausage rolls with onion marmalade looked tasty..as did the mini quiches, the goats cheese and red pepper wraps, salads..etc etc .I believe that everything is home made and it looks good. So we went in. A warm welcome from the lovely young man behind the counter.

The seating area is upstairs and you don't know whether there are any vacant seats unless you ask. We could have paid for our food and then found that there were no places up there, and that could have been very annoying especially if we were in a hurry! What actually happened was that it was full upstairs but we saw that there were some stools that we could perch on downstairs and this is what we did. We ordered what we thought was going to be a fairly inexpensive sausage roll and goats cheese and red pepper roll. We were offered salad and we chose roasted vegetables which looked lovely. Plus two Illy coffees. Then the bill. Almost £20. Well, obviously we paid. But that came as a bit of a shock.

We managed with difficulty to get up on these seats and we waited. And waited. And then my coffee arrived, which was correct, but my partner's coffee was not decaffeinated as ordered. So that went back, soon to be replaced by a decaff coffee. The food arrived. It was actually very good, but as I had paid and felt stung, we made sure that we ate every crumb!

What was obvious was that the two young male staff were new and inexperienced and we could hear that they were making mistakes and having to apologise to the lady running the place. She seemed to be very patient, and I hope that she keeps them on, and gives them the chance to improve because they were lovely, and treated every customer as if they were special.

I would probably go again at a quieter time, so that I could have the upstairs experience but possibly for coffee and cake next time.

Sally D, Owner at The Loft, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

I remember your visit, and am sorry to hear that you felt it was not up to scratch. Yes, we were busy, and as we are a very small cafe, we are limited as to the number of staff we can have. There is only one person doing the food - me - consequently there can be a wait whilst I catch up on orders. That is because all the food is freshly made, nothing made with pastry is microwaved, such as your goat rolls, so that can take some time in the oven. But I believe it makes the food taste better and the pastry will not be soggy or taste like cardboard. The rolls are priced at £2.50, with salads £7.50. The boys will have asked you to choose two salads, but you chose only one, so they will have given you two servings. All the salads are made with fresh herbs, and in your case, peppers which are quite costly. All in all, I do not consider that expensive for what you get. As you paid before you ate, if you had an issue, you should have queried it at the time when we could have talked things through to your satisfaction. We always take orders before people take a seat, so that we can check out the seating upstairs, and advise people of the situation. Yes, you are right, the two boys are new and are still finding their feet, but they are very caring and try hard. All in all, you get what you pay for in life, and I would doubt you could find the same quality and flavour for a cheaper price.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Found this place as we were looking for a light sandwich lunch with fillings that didn't include chips, mayo, cheese with everything, and similar. Saw the food on display at the Loft and thought that we'd give it a try. Glad we did.

Freshly sourced ingredients, nicely cooked and very tasty.

The seating area is on the first floor. It is quite cosy so you may find yourself sharing a table, as we did. The service was very slow but the food, when it came, was delish!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Wednesday 9th March Supper Club. A long awaited visit to the evening meals, I have only visited the 'cafe' before.....and what a visit. Greeted warmly by Sally and her staff and shown to our table upstairs. This was an invitation evening in a small venue lending a wonderful atmosphere to what is already a great place to be. A glass of Rioca (very good) and the evening began. A starter of beef capriccio was very good indeed (my 14yr old daughter devoured it in no time...testiment to wonderful local produce wonderfully prepared) all the flavours complimenting each other very well. The starter followed by an eastern inspired chicken dish that, along with the rice and vegetable accompaniment was full with waves of flavour that made the each mouthful a delight, I have never eaten quite like it before. After a brief pause a sweet of lavender/chocolate and posset/lemon ice cream with a buttered pear arrived, another great combination of flavours....both dishes disappearing very quickly indeed....my daughter commenting that the lavender/chocolate ice cream was the best ever! A cheese course followed with an intense port jelly (one day all port jelly will be like this one!) and though I am not a great fan of goats cheese the 'Brie' style softer cheese was superb. The meal ended as one might expect with excellent coffee as ever. A gloriously satisfying evening meal...the taste of with we will remember for a long time.
Sally, change the menu by all means but please don't change the way you do what you do.....Fab.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We called in while in Dorchester for a light lunch /snack and so glad we did. The Loft is a bijou coffee shop serving a lovely selection of really good quality tasty light bites, ideal for a break from shopping. The service was first class, really friendly and the food was perfect. Although we only had a snack it was refreshing to have such good quality fare.I had a warm sausage ciabatta and my wife had a cheese scone, both lovely.We resisted the cakes,as we were being "good" but not next time!!!