“Great wee cafe”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just a. quick stop for us with a 'little smackerel' wanted and their goats cheese on scone with onion marmalade was perfect. Very pleasant staff here too.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stopped here for morning coffee on a day trip to Dorchester as it is just down from the tourist info office. The window display of cakes and savouries looked very appitising. We had scones and coffee which were fine and later my wife went back for the veggie roll whilst I got a pasty from the neighbouring shop.

There are only a few tables upstairs and the toilet is in the corner of the small room, as the table by the window comes free it seems to be the one to aim for, we moved there as someone left and as we left someone else moved to that table, it is a good view down the street from there.

A good find then.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Loft Cafe is everything I like in cafe, niche, small, independant, serving homemade treats. The decor is interesting, and the staff friendly. Where The Loft falls short is in its delivery. Upon entering you are greeted by friendly face, but no real menu or clue about whats what. I've visited the cafe twice and still dont really know what food options they serve other than those on display on the counter. And it also seems as the staff, although polite, are more preoccupied with having conversations with eachother than providing good customer service. My final problem with the Loft is price. I can hack a £5 sandwich or paying more than normal for a pastry. But paying £2.20 for a pretty poorly made cappucino served in a cup that sits somewhere between Macchiato and tea-cup sized is absurd. I'll no doubt return to sample the homemade food (which all looks and smells excellent by the way) again, but may just skip the coffee

Sally D, Owner at The Loft, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your cappuccino. I hope that you asked for it to be re-done. I have a new member of staff, who has received training, but I am realistic enough to know that he might not always be consistent. As for the staff being too busy talking, I am away on holiday at the moment, so can only assume that whilst the cat's away....... Apologies for that, and I will whip them into shape on my return. Our coffee is provided by Illy, an expensive and superior brand of coffee, and they also provide the cups. The Italians do not serve coffee in the large cups much loved by the American-styled coffee houses, so in the cafe we follow the European style, to match our coffee. As to the food, there is a menu in the window, one by the till, and one on each table, so I do not understand your confusion about what is available. But if you do decide to try our lovely food, please make yourself known to me (Sally) and I will be more than happy to give you a complimentary coffee and talk you through everything myself. It is a rare thing for me to be on holiday, but I am very proud of my cafe, and detail is important to me, so thank you for keeping us on our toes.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a tiny cafe hidden in Antelope walk in Dorchester.

The tea was lovely and I had a goats cheese pastry as light bite.
Not a pushchair friendly if you have young children but luckily a friend and I both both our babies in slings.

Makes a change to likes of costa and it's nice to support a local independent business as they add a little extra to local town centre's!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were visiting Dorchester and wanted to eat something- but we weren't sure what. We did know that we didn't want a pasty (along the same passage as the Loft) or to go to a tea room. Nothing was inspiring us until we looked in the window of the Loft. The menu was interesting, and the home made sausage rolls with onion marmalade looked tasty..as did the mini quiches, the goats cheese and red pepper wraps, salads..etc etc .I believe that everything is home made and it looks good. So we went in. A warm welcome from the lovely young man behind the counter.

The seating area is upstairs and you don't know whether there are any vacant seats unless you ask. We could have paid for our food and then found that there were no places up there, and that could have been very annoying especially if we were in a hurry! What actually happened was that it was full upstairs but we saw that there were some stools that we could perch on downstairs and this is what we did. We ordered what we thought was going to be a fairly inexpensive sausage roll and goats cheese and red pepper roll. We were offered salad and we chose roasted vegetables which looked lovely. Plus two Illy coffees. Then the bill. Almost £20. Well, obviously we paid. But that came as a bit of a shock.

We managed with difficulty to get up on these seats and we waited. And waited. And then my coffee arrived, which was correct, but my partner's coffee was not decaffeinated as ordered. So that went back, soon to be replaced by a decaff coffee. The food arrived. It was actually very good, but as I had paid and felt stung, we made sure that we ate every crumb!

What was obvious was that the two young male staff were new and inexperienced and we could hear that they were making mistakes and having to apologise to the lady running the place. She seemed to be very patient, and I hope that she keeps them on, and gives them the chance to improve because they were lovely, and treated every customer as if they were special.

I would probably go again at a quieter time, so that I could have the upstairs experience but possibly for coffee and cake next time.

Sally D, Owner at The Loft, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

I remember your visit, and am sorry to hear that you felt it was not up to scratch. Yes, we were busy, and as we are a very small cafe, we are limited as to the number of staff we can have. There is only one person doing the food - me - consequently there can be a wait whilst I catch up on orders. That is because all the food is freshly made, nothing made with pastry is microwaved, such as your goat rolls, so that can take some time in the oven. But I believe it makes the food taste better and the pastry will not be soggy or taste like cardboard. The rolls are priced at £2.50, with salads £7.50. The boys will have asked you to choose two salads, but you chose only one, so they will have given you two servings. All the salads are made with fresh herbs, and in your case, peppers which are quite costly. All in all, I do not consider that expensive for what you get. As you paid before you ate, if you had an issue, you should have queried it at the time when we could have talked things through to your satisfaction. We always take orders before people take a seat, so that we can check out the seating upstairs, and advise people of the situation. Yes, you are right, the two boys are new and are still finding their feet, but they are very caring and try hard. All in all, you get what you pay for in life, and I would doubt you could find the same quality and flavour for a cheaper price.