“Not as good as expected”

The Gamekeeper Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #47 of 131 Restaurants in Dorchester
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Family run pub/ restaurant in the heart of Charminster, two mile South of The County Town of Dorset. Large garden leading down to the River Cerne. We cater for Wedding or functions of any kind. We have very comfortable, clean bed and breakfasts available. Fantastic Sunday Lunch Carvery still at the great price of £9.95 per person. Large Car park. Corporate Functions catered for. Outside catering available.
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Not as good as expected”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to The Gamekeeper, the first was a very enjoyable evening and we were expecting more of the same. Upon arrival, we had to queue at the door due to a large party of guests waiting for drinks and to be seated. After fighting our way to the bar and ordering drinks we were asked to sit in the bar or conservatory until they had seated and calmed the large party. We waited for 20 mins to be invited into the restaurant although the staff did give us the opportunity to order before we proceeded. We had a wait of nearly 30 mins in the restaurant while the large party were served there food before we ordered. It was very noisy and not the romantic setting we had hoped for but I understand the consequences of large parties. We both had fillet steak, the inside was cooked beautifully, the outside was crisp and burnt. My partner ordered mash instead of chips but it arrived with chips!!!! More staff and maybe a pre warning about large groups to your other customers would be a good idea.

3 Thank Bruce M
Jackie M, Manager at The Gamekeeper Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your visit. I am sorry that your steak was not cooked to perfection, I do hope that I checked on you! I did ask you twice if you would like to order so I could serve you first so that you would be happy instead of trying to fit you in between a party of 30 but you declined and asked for more time. Hopefully you gave us a nice review on your first visit and if you visit again I will ensure you are properly looked after.

London
“3 night stay”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Just had a 3 night stay at this lovely place, have to say the staff were very friendly and welcoming. Plenty of parking space and a separate entrance for guests to access the rooms. We stayed in room 1 which was just at the top of the stairs, lovely room , spacious and airy and when we visited quite hot as the summer had arrived. Room had a fan which was very useful at this time. Breakfast was limited but lovely. Only had a late night snack once and had a cheese ploughmans which was rather lacking in the cheese department and with a very small amount of salad ( come on guys for £10.00 was a bit poor ) . Sure they will remedy this as it's a lovely little place. Thanks for a great stay.

Visited July 2014
Weymouth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gamekeeper - No place like home”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Me and my partner enjoyed a wonderful evening at the gamekeeper a few days ago. We were greeted by a lovely landlady, shown to our impressive room, and later went downstairs to a wonderfully presented meal. Every part of our dinner was superb, (the steak was to die for) and the service was exemplary. We had a marvellous stay and can't wait for our next visit to this charming establishment that made us feel very much at home.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Olliesdolly
england
“weekend break”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here after recommendation from a friend. I can honestly say i was not dissapointed. The food was lovely and the staff very friendly. Me and my family were made to feel very welcome. A definite visit again from us!

• Visited June 2014
“Absolutely stunning”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is the second we have eaten here and we were blown away yet again by the service and quality of the food. Would most definitely visit again. Thank you to all staff for helping make our first wedding anniversary one to remember.

• Visited June 2014