“It's just an expensive new cinema”
Review of Odeon Cinema

Odeon Cinema
Ranked #3 of 4 Fun & Games in Dorchester
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The Plaza is more comfortable, much better value, has better waiting and sitting areas and the staff are pleased to see you.

We watched a film in a corporate, un imaginative, soulless box.

Take your choice but we won' be going back.

1  Thank David T

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Thought I'd just try it out one time and take my parents, to see the opening of skyfall, although I'm a firm believer in supporting the local cinema - the plaza. Dorchester does'nt really need another cinema.

Anyway, it certainly has a nice lounge and bar area, something that the Plaza does not have.

However these are the bad points - I wanted a coffee - this wasnt possible as the coffee machine had not yet arrived. Not a good start. And it gets even worse, when I discover the coffee that the Odeon has decided to sell will be COSTA - yes , like a cancer spreading across the country.

So needless to say I will never be having a coffee in the odeon and if I ever decide to visit this cinema again I will bringing in a take-away coffee, probably from the local coffee shop just 50 metres down the road (if its open). Based on the Odeons choice of serving bad coffee, I would imagine the wine that they sell is also a miserable selection.

The screen is superb but the sound was way too loud and completely unnecessary (probably about 10-15 percent louder than it should have been) - in fact it spoilt the whole experience for my parents.

Seats were very comfortable though.

Anyway, probably will not be going back and will stick to the wonderful Plaza cinema

2  Thank Jethro672
Reviewed 4 December 2012

This is a very good cinema. Extremely comfortable seats and excellent quality screen. The surround sound was good too, and used to good effect.

There is a car park directly opposite the cinema - extremely convenient.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

Brilliant venue, car park opposite, cafe and bar, toilets great seats which we purchased prior to going which meant we did not have to sit through all the adverts!

Reviewed 16 November 2012

I tried the new Odeon Dorchester and clearly no expense has been spared in the decor, that said I do find these large corporate company offerings somewhat bland and I try very hard to patronize local businesses, lose them or use them so to speak. I think this Odeon will be an acquired and upmarket taste. The Staff were pleasant enough, but it lacked atmosphere. The film was superb though! But then a film is a film if you pay £1.00 or £10. 00.... I think some art house/minority films would do very well here and attract the kind of audience that this type of facility warrants. The seats looked more comfy than they felt! I won't be buying the wine again though, made it a very expensive night out!