“Good break”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Dorchester
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Good break”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Good clean budget hotel in nice redeveloped area. Good restaurants in development. Building site opposite but no noise or disturbance. Friendly staff. Parking limited but overflow available nearby so not a big issue

1 Thank Simon S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We booked a family room for a night and I was pleasantly surprised at how good this Premier Inn was! I can't abide dirt in hotels but this one was absolutely spotless. We checked in around 10.30pm and a member of staff appeared at once to assist us. The breakfast was excellent in the morning, hot food being added to the cooked breakfast area all the time. Staff was readily available and extremely friendly. Appreciated the late breakfast times on the weekend and the late check out of 12pm. I would definitely stay here again. A real up and coming area of Dorchester and so convenient for Dorchester South railway station.

Room Tip: There is building work going on next to the hotel on the side we staying in but as it was the weeken...
Surrey
Reviewed 11 August 2014

A very pleasant hotel with friendly staff who go out of their way to assist you.
The breakfast menu is extensive and the food of high quality and pleasantly served. There is currently building going on opposite reception but there is no noise impact on the hotel.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I paid a huge ( in my terms) price for my 2-day stay, having booked only 2 days before. But I was keen to experience Premier Inn, and I was not disappointed. Comfortable, clean, quiet within the room, excellent climate control, and free underground car parking - important in the middle of town. The staff were efficient, friendly, smiling, and looked after me well. It was not their fault that I had to be there in August, with so many very young families, and when I asked for a quieter corner in the restaurant they found me a suitable spot, and kept an eye on everything. I certainly had the best nights' sleep I could have expected.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We have stayed in a number of different Premier Inn's and this is the newest and dirtiest. Slightly disappointed.
The breakfast on Sunday morning was not well catered for. They need to address what food is available and when. Coffee was good though

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Quite modern Premier set in a development which has a range of shops/eateries. Is close to the railway station and only a couple of minutes to A35 and Maiden Castle (Iron Age Fort)
Parking is underground & bay is allocated on arrival.
Beds/bedrooms as ever, really good and the restaurant somewhat better than I expected. What really made the stay special was the quality of the staff team who were excellent and went the extra mile.
Booked early so got a decent deal. Definitely will go again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We initially picked this hotel as it was the cheapest option for a week long stay in Dorset, and we are so glad we did! This is a new hotel and as such the whole hotel is clean, tidy and a pleasant experience. Following advice from on TripAdvisor I had emailed about parking in advance - I was 6 months pregnant at the time of our stay and so parking at the hotel was important. Although I did not receive any response regarding my request we had been allocated parking when we arrived and we were directed to a numbered space in the underground car park...only to find someone else was already parked there! We parked in another space and let reception know. We were staying in room 120 and this was a great location - immediately outside the lifts but behind another door so guaranteed privacy and quiet. The room was spotless, large and had a great size bathroom. We have no complaints about the room itself - the only problems we had were linked to the noisy plumbing in this room and the ones above. From the first day we complained about rattling in the pipes/air con when the hot water tap was used, it was only by the 3rd complaint, when I spoke to a lovely receptionist (from the North East, didn't get her name) and mentioned that we had been woken up by the noise when a neighbour had put their taps on...at this point she immediately refunded that night under the sleep guarantee. She immediately put a request in for maintenance and we returned to a hand written note apologising for the noise, confirming our refund and explaining that there had been air in the pipes. On our final morning the noise returned and upon check out it was again the helpful receptionist - she refunded the last night as well on the bias that a) the problem had recurred and b) several other people had complained. In all honesty I suspect that if she had been the person we had initially complained to on day one the issue would have been handled a lot quicker and probably not cost Premier Inn as much in refunds as the hotel was a lot quieter earlier in the week, but that's their problem!
The location is great - opposite the train station, there's an off license around the corner and there's a selection of bars/restaurants right on hand...along with some lovely fountains, a large outdoor TV screen and some hilarious signs about what is/isn't acceptable behaviour wise!
The only other suggestion I would make to the hotel is related to the parking - on 3 separate occasions we returned to find someone else parked in our space as there didn't seem to be any attempt to manage who parked where despite the spaces all being numbered and "allocated" by reception. As an aside, if a member of the public walks into reception and turns left, they need to use a key card to access the stairs to the car park...nice and secure... however, go in and turn right and you can use the lift freely to access the same downstairs corridor and car park without a key card (they're only needed to make the lift go up)...suddenly not so secure!

• Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorchester
Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel
Riviera Hotel
#20 of 22 in Weymouth
Travelodge Poole Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Poole

Been to Premier Inn Dorchester Hotel? Share your experiences!