“Needs better maintenance”

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Needs better maintenance”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

It could be such a great resource, but sadly there seems to be under investment in staffing; especially cleaning staff. I'm not sure how often the showers are properly cleaned. Yesterday, for example, one of the swimming pool showers had clumps of hair on the floor, and another on the cubicle walls. The floor approaching the pool showers was FILTHY with the channel in the floor full of dirty water. I didn't want to walk on it barefoot. It just needs a deep clean throughout. It's so sad that a new multi million pound resource is already looking tired, just like the previous pool. Staff seen generally friendly and helpful, but there seems to be a high turnover. As others have commented, the developers missed a trick by not including a café .

Visited July 2014
4 Thank Bertrand_Wooster

32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“wide range activities”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

becoming increasing modernised, this 'campus' shares new buildings, with old parts of the School, a new pool and three good open air pitches (synthetic grass). There's a wide range of published activities which generally run regularly. Staff seem to encourage rather than just 'lead' the events such as circuit training and although it's not overly cheap, it's quite good value and concessions are quite well discounted.

Visited June 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“At long last!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

It is a lovely facility and despite what you read here there is nothing wrong with the changing facilities.There are 4 private changing cubicles.

Shortly before the 17th February the roof of the pool suffered some damage in a storm. There was and no visible damage to the inside ceiling of the pool roof. The pool was roped off at 20m, one assumes, as a health and safety measure. It was finally re opened fully today.

Cant believe it took so long to effect a straightforward repair.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank David L
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“An excellent but poorly managed facility that does not value subscribers”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The 1610 Leisure Centre was a wonderful addition to the sports facilities in Dorchester. Early fears of cuts to staffing when the centre transferred from its old location were quickly replaced by a sense of pride in the architectural vision and quality of the facilities. Staff seemed to have been relocated and I remember feeling tremendous pride that this magnificent building and all it had to offer were just minutes from my home. Better still, my wife and I enjoyed reduced rates as employees of the local secondary school.

It saddens me to relate that after much effort to resolve membership difficulties I have this week cancelled our subscriptions. The management of the centre decided to implement 6 monthly checks on the status of subscribers without notifying members. The first thing I knew was when my membership card would not allow me through the turnstiles and I had to be called over to reception to be told that I must bring in numerous pieces of 'evidence' to prove the validity of my subscription. I duly returned with my identity badge but this was not sufficient and nor apparently was my P60. A current payslip was acceptable and they wanted to photocopy this with all my personal details which I was not particularly happy about. It would seem I eventually had enough evidence to be approved but it looked as if my wife would not.

We have deliberated for a few weeks and made our decision to go elsewhere based on a few other factors. Firstly the attitude to the centre's own employees which seems to be poor and many have left. Secondly the state of cleanliness and maintenance at the centre. (A damaged roof from February is still not repaired as I write in May!) Thirdly the staffing levels which seem to have been reduced since opening, at least in the gym.

We are extremely disappointed to be leaving the centre as it is both convenient and very well designed in most respects. I am not as concerned about the changing facilities for the pool as some others - this is common practice in France. It is problematic that people enter the shower area with outdoor shoes which then contaminates the feet of swimmers and potentially the pool.

As others have mentioned a good cafe would really bring a much better community spirit. Bridport Leisure Centre also closed its cafe some years ago and it felt like a very different place thereafter.

I hope that in due course the franchise may be offered to a better company who are not just in the business for pure profit. Several approaches to resolve our difficulties have either gone unanswered or led to more confusion. 1610 seem not value their subscribers.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Symphony1010
Berkshire
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Swimming facilitilies could be perfect if..........”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Very helpful and friendly staff. Lovely swimming pools and viewing gallery.
Temperature in the pool and changing rooms very comfortable.
Did NOT like the fact that there is no gender segregation in the changing areas. So making it impossible to properly shower following a swim. And possibly making it impossible for some ladies to use the facilities for cultural reasons.
Quite disconcerting in fact!
And, a cafe would be very welcome.

Visited April 2014