“A little gem”

ReLoved Tea Rooms
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Have been here a few times but now the weather has improved sat outside last week and had a lovely cream tea. We love the odd crockery (our favourite is the elephant tea pot and the cow milk jug) the jam is homemade and full of fruit, the scones are warm, light but very filling. The cheese tea (cheese scones and cheese with pickle) is delicious too. Sit outside and watch the world go by. Fantastic :)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is the place to go the best cake I have had in a long time, also have a shop in wareham Dorset both are great even if you are not gluten intolerant, will be going back later this year.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The shop downstairs is adorable, being someone who loves vintage items/clothes this shop is definitely up my street! The shop staff are always friendly too, so that's a bonus! The vintage theme carries on upstairs and you come to a quirky decorated tea room! We were greeted by a fantastically dressed and friendly girl, it was very busy but she seemed to handle the pressure very well! We took a seat and were brought some menus; as we browsed we looked at all the little trinkets scattered around (the majority are for sale). The friendly girl then came to take our ordered and explained the delicious cake section to me; we ordered a pot of tea, coffee and a slice of beetroot cake. The arrival of our drinks was prompt and the price for it very reasonable; I am an avid coffee drinker and was thoroughly impressed as it wasn't the slightest bitter and we both tucked into a tasty cake! I will definitely be revisiting to try some of their hot food they have on the menu and an absolute cheery and efficient service. Would 100% recommend for even non-vintage/tearoom lovers, something very different and interesting!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Brilliant setting and outstanding service x x
This is a must, and if you haven't been your missing out x

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having heard that this was the best cafe in Dorchester, I paid this cafe a visit this week.

The cafe is above a shop in the main shopping area just off the high street. If you did not know that there was a cafe on the first floor, you would absolutely miss it.

To get to the cafe you have to go through the "re-loved" shop. The signs are poor - just two a4 sized printouts on the glass windows.

The shop itself is dedicated to making things from objects you would usually throw away. Unfortunately the shop looks (and smells) like a poor charity shop/ car boot sale. I must admit that this did put me off and I almost walked out at that point. The musty/ damp smell is not at all enticing.

However, I ventured up a narrow staircase at the back of the shop (poor signage again) and was presented with a vintage style tea room on the first floor spanning the area of two shop fronts.

The room itself is large, but packed with tables (and customers) and furnished with "vintage" dressers, cutlery and various detritus - most of which is for sale. I understand what they were trying to do here, but the objects are pretty much unsellable due to their poor charity shop/ car boot style "quality". It really needs this freshening up with proper decent items of vintage, rather than things that should be thrown out. This is harsh, but you will understand when you experience it.

At lunchtime, the cafe is very busy. The tables are close together and it can sometimes feel claustrophobic, but usually a full cafe is a sign of good food.

There is confusion about what to do. There is no one to greet you. Do you order first, wait to be seated or just sit down and wait?

I opted for option 3, and due to the busy time was ignored. Menus arrived after about 10 minutes. The staff member was pleasant and did apologise for our wait. Completely understandable.

Whilst waiting/ eating, I did notice several customers reach the top of the staircase, hang around for a few minutes confused/ bemused, before leaving. This should be corrected. A sign reading "take a seat, and we will be with you shortly" or better still, to be greeted by a staff member, would go a long way to retaining potential customers.

Food was cooked on site and reasonably priced. Most of the hot food is available only with a salad garnish and "crisps". I feel that this is not quite good enough - crisps do not go with most of the hot meals available! A side of wedges or other hot vegetables, anything, should be available as an option. Burger and crisps, quiche and crisps, pie and crisps just does nothing for me.

The staff were busy, but pleasant and attentive and are a great asset to the vintage vibe and atmosphere. They look and feel the part.

All in all it was a good experience that I can recommend.

Positives:

Home cooked, good hot food.
Cakes!
Attentive and pleasant staff.
Good (but busy) atmosphere.
Extra hot water served with tea.

There are things that could be addressed:

The signage bringing customers into the cafe and what do do next
The awful musty smell of the re-loved shop itself. It puts people off rather than entices in.
The toilet facilities - they are a bit grotty, one hand towel for everyone (urgh, disgusting), and bizarrely a vacuum cleaner is also stored in there!
The quality of the items for sale in the cafe itself.

Give it a go, especially off peak.

The cakes are great.