“Dead fly in salad”

Ranked #22 of 140 Restaurants in Dorchester
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Returned to this café having loved it the previous time - gorgeous cakes and loved the atmosphere and retro style. This time I had lunch there, so had a sandwich with a salad garnish. Unfortunately there was a dead fly in my salad. I know these things can happen, but I found the reaction of the staff very poor. I was just told that it was "all fresh and organic" - did she mean the fly?! They did offer me a replacement but what I really expected and wanted was an apology and did not get one - just an embarrassed smile from the waitress and a dismissive attitude from the kitchen staff. I won't be returning.

1  Thank workingmum52

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Delightful tea room - fantastic modern addition to Dorchester. In the 8 years I've been visiting Dorchester, I've never been in a lovelier tea room. This place has a small upstairs tea room which is intimate (and warm - perfect for a rainy day). The crockery is an assembly of various pieces and the staff very friendly and accommodating. Nearly all of the cakes were gluten free - I was so excited that I bought several to take to dinner that evening for pudding. Guests that were gluten intolerant were also impressed with the quality and happy to know they could find such fare on the Dorchester high street.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Have been here a few times but now the weather has improved sat outside last week and had a lovely cream tea. We love the odd crockery (our favourite is the elephant tea pot and the cow milk jug) the jam is homemade and full of fruit, the scones are warm, light but very filling. The cheese tea (cheese scones and cheese with pickle) is delicious too. Sit outside and watch the world go by. Fantastic :)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is the place to go the best cake I have had in a long time, also have a shop in wareham Dorset both are great even if you are not gluten intolerant, will be going back later this year.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The shop downstairs is adorable, being someone who loves vintage items/clothes this shop is definitely up my street! The shop staff are always friendly too, so that's a bonus! The vintage theme carries on upstairs and you come to a quirky decorated tea room! We were greeted by a fantastically dressed and friendly girl, it was very busy but she seemed to handle the pressure very well! We took a seat and were brought some menus; as we browsed we looked at all the little trinkets scattered around (the majority are for sale). The friendly girl then came to take our ordered and explained the delicious cake section to me; we ordered a pot of tea, coffee and a slice of beetroot cake. The arrival of our drinks was prompt and the price for it very reasonable; I am an avid coffee drinker and was thoroughly impressed as it wasn't the slightest bitter and we both tucked into a tasty cake! I will definitely be revisiting to try some of their hot food they have on the menu and an absolute cheery and efficient service. Would 100% recommend for even non-vintage/tearoom lovers, something very different and interesting!