“Very impressive!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have visited The New Ghurkha a number of times now and have been impressed with the consistency and quality of both service and food. There staff are very attentive and nothing is too much trouble.The buffet is more a quality over quantity affair, although you will never be short of food as the dishes are refilled promptly, and not over-filled to ensure freshness. The authentic starters are most enjoyable, although there is one strange anomaly: chicken nuggets! Get rid of those and replace with the typical quality reflected in the rest of the dishes on offer. Further to the starters are the intermediate dishes such as Dahl and Bombay potatoes. A good selection of mains are available, in varying heats and flavours. To complement these offerings further are a delicious selection of naans.

Look forward to returning again!

1  Thank lordjimbob
Krishdon, Owner at The New Gurkha, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you very much for the review. We really appreciate for taking time to write a review. We are happy that you had a happy time and enjoyed dining with us. We hope to serving you soon

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I thought I would try this place due to the good reviews but have to agree with other reviews here you can be put off by the exterior appearance. Please don't be you won't be disappointed.

I started with the Chicken Chat Puri which was really great and freshly made to suit my taste - highly recommended.

For mains I had the Tandoori Mixed Grill again freshly prepared and I asked for it to be dry and spiced up, this I must say was really tasty but may be needed a touch more heat for me. With this I ordered a hot vegetable curry side portion and a tandoori roti both excellent. A great tasty well presented meal washed down with a few Gurkha lagers.

The New Gurkha is in it's early days (not to be confused with the previous establishment) but well worthy of a visit as the food and eagerness of the staff to please are to be highly recommended.

Thanks Basanta, I hope you continue to build on the solid foundation you have obviously attained.

See you soon.

1  Thank Boxerdogs1
Krishdon, Owner at The New Gurkha, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Thank you very much for taking your time to review our restaurant. We are very happy that you had a good time dining with us and enjoyed our food and service. We look forward to serving you soon

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I were recommended to try this restaurant by our daughter. We had known the building when it was a dark dingy pub. Its still a bit plain inside but clean and spacious. We had a chicken chilli masala and a malabar lamb curry. Both were very flavoursome with three and two chilli heat ratings respectively. Next time, and yes there will be a next time, we will ask to "up" the chilli! The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Good value for money as the prices for curries includes the rice. The onion bhajis were to die for with a nice side salad and lemon segment to squeeze all over.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

During our stay in Dorchester we booked a table for The New Gurkha on a Friday night. First appearances do not immediately entice you to come here but please please do go to this restaurant! The food is amazing! Really lovely! All the dishes we had were cooked to order, and we know this because my wife has special dietary needs and everything she asked for could be modified or changed to suit her diet. Everything tasted delicious, fresh and full of flavour, and all the dishes were completely different and individual, not all tasting the same and fiery hot!! The staff here are welcoming and friendly especially Kris who helped us a lot and seems very proud and knowledgeable about the food. We found the service to be very good and overlooked the fact that it seemed rather slow, because we understood that all the food was being cooked fresh to order. We just loved the food so much we booked another table for the next night and brought our son and his friend with us!

Krishdon, Owner at The New Gurkha, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you very much for taking your time to review our restaurant. We are very happy that you have a happy time with despite of us being so busy that night. We try our best to give a good service and food to our guest. We are always there to help you out if u need and we will do that with the best of our knowledge and try to accommodate you as your needs in our restaurant. Our aim is to provide service according to your desire. Thank you again for your valuable time to review our restaurant.
We look forward to serving you soon

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and I, visited this place on the 19th April, having read the unbelievable reports. We arrived at 7:20 and were shown to a table and our order taken, the drinks and poppodoms arrived within 10 minutes. Together with the rest of the customers we sat and waited. We were not offered any more drinks and this seemed to be the case for all the other tables. The couple on the next table came in at 7.45, at 8.45 they complained and were immediately served a starter followed quickly by their main course. This table was allowed to jump in front of four other tables. We left the restaurant in disgust at 9.00 with the dirty plates from the poppodoms still on the tablet. The waiters are nothing like attentive. I will finish where I started, the reports are unbelievable!

Krishdon, Owner at The New Gurkha, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Thank you very much for your time to review our restaurant. We are very sorry that you did not had a good time in our restaurant. As you had seen we were really busy and didn't had enough staff but that is our mistake that we could not manage well that night, we are really sorry about that. The review we have here in trip advisor are all our customers experience in our restaurant as you had shared your experience here. If you try our food that i am sure you wont be disappoint again . We are really sorry about your experience in our restaurant again.