“Consistently outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aquila Heights Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dorchester
Aquila Heights Guest House
Ranked #3 of 50 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Consistently outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

We have just come back from another stay at Aquila Heights. We stay there once or twice a year tto visit friends opposite who don't have any spare beds!
As with every visit, the quality of the welcome, the room, the breakfast, etc was superb. I reviewed it the first time we stayed here and gave it 5 stars and nothing has slipped during the intervening 4 years. There is still more choice of breakfast cereals and preserves than in your average Tesco's and the range of cooked breakfasts would put almost every 5* hotel in the country in the shade. The day after we left we stayed at another B&B near Exeter which was very nice and a similar price but was three leagues lower than Joan's place. You could stay at the newly completed and totally faceless Premier Inn in Dorchester but for the same money you be treated like a long lost friend and provided with all the comforts of home (or the home you wish you had!!).

Room Tip: If you want a double bed and a good view over Maiden Castle, ask for Room 3 (or 5 - not quite as goo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Poole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Upon beginning a new job in Dorchester, I needed somewhere to lay my head for a few nights. I expected a room, and from experience, not even a comfy bed. What I got though was so much more.

On arrival, I was personally greeted, and given a tour. The room was immaculate, and a decent size for the money I paid. There was ample parking, and the most wonderful cooked breakfast that I've had in a long time.

Although I spent rather little time in the hotel, the experience was made so much better by the lovely lady who manages the guest house, Joan. She would take time out of her busy morning (whilst trying to cook breakfasts, check people in, etc) just to answer my questions on the local area. She went far far beyond what I'd expect, and was personal throughout, remembering all of the little things, like the fact that I don't like mushrooms on my breakfast! (anybody that does is weird).

The hotel is fairly small, I only counted a handful of rooms, and by the sounds of it, every room spends most of its nights full with cyclists, tourists, students and business types. It felt like home for the week, and not like I was sat in a boring hotel room watching Catchphrase and eating chocolate.

I don't plan on finding the need for a return stay, but should the day come I will search no further than vacancies at this lovely little guest house. Absolutely 5 star service around the board, and a pleasure to have made a new friend in the process. I will keep in touch with Joan, and recommend that anybody who stays here spends 5 minutes picking her brains about the area, as you'll learn a lot!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 4, which doesn't have an en-suite but its own private bathroom down the hall. I...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Broughton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

This well-run B&B was recommended to us by another Dorchester B&B that was full, and I would have no hesitation recommending it to others.
It was easy to book on-line.
The double room where we stayed was small but airy, clean and comfortable. It had an in-room coffee/tea maker, with many extra tea flavours freely available. The shower room was well-stocked with various gels & shampoos.
The breakfast was excellent - a full English breakfast was cooked to order and there were plenty of cereals and jams. I had no need for lunch!
The B&B is within walking distance (15-20 mins) of Poundbury and Dorchester town centre.
Joan (the proprietor) was very welcoming and had an impressive attention to detail throughout the guest-house.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

I was given this guest house as a place to stay by tourist information when i was stranded by my husband being taken into hospital unexpectedly. I couldn't have asked for more from the landlady who was very kind and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aquila_Heights, Owner at Aquila Heights Guest House, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Aquila Heights especially in such difficult and worrying circumstances. I hope your husband has now made a full recovery.
Kind regards
Joan
Bellingen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Joan was a wonderful host and took care of our every need! The rooms were very clean and comfortable although the room where my husband and I stayed was a little small with little space to move around. However, the room my elderly parents and my son occupied was spacious with a lounge area which was perfect. The breakfast was delicious with and the variety was unbelievable. we enjoyed our stay enormously and would recommend the guesthouse to anyone after a truly English experience. Thank you Joan!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DeniseBellingen
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

This is a lovely place to stay and the owner makes you feel so welcome. I have to agree with the other reviewers the owner is very caring and offered to drive another guest into town while we were there. The breakfast was extensive and all tastes were catered for. It was delicious, hot and generous. The room was spacious, spotlessly clean, had a great selection of teas and shampoo. Our room had a lovely bay window and we sat in the morning sun, reading in the warmth. so relaxing. The B&B is close to town and great for long or short stays. I would have no hesitation staying here again or recommending this home away from home to a friend.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

Very clean and comfortable B & B, with everything the traveller needs already thought of!
Joan goes out of her way to ensure guests have all they need, and enjoy their stay. I have never seen such a choice of breakfast cereals, jams and preserves. Good strong tea and proper wholemeal bread were very welcome, as was the porridge.
One very small thing to point out perhaps is the amount of cooking smells and smoke that drift into the breakfast room from the kitchen. Bacon is usually tantalising, but kippers can be a bit overpowering, the air got rather thick, and I am sorry I did not say so at the time.
Try Joan's home made Danish pastries - they are delicious!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo