“Very disappointing”

Ranked #20 of 40 Restaurants in Shaftesbury
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: With Nina's farming background the heart to the Grove's menu is a wide offering, sourced locally direct from the producer to offer varied dishes with the ethos of something for everyone no matter what the occasion. We run both a hearty main menu and a specials board daily along with many weekly special event nights supported by the locals as follows: Wednesday Night - Pie and a Pint night £8.95 Thursday Night - Steak Night 2 for 1 Friday Night - 2 fish & Chips for £14.95
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 1 April 2011

On first impression - contemporary, modern, sparsely furnished and huge, however, very well lit. First shock £8.60 for glass of wine and pint of lager shandy. Menu didn't grab me, pub trying to be a posh restaurant came to mind rather that drawing in local trade.
Generally I will always have steak but at just over £19 I thought that a little too steep for rib-eye. I chose rosti rarebit at just under £9. Well portionwise it wouldn't have filled my children up let alone an adult. Poor presentation and lacking any sign of a rosti! Boyfriend had fish & chips which was good but again lacking presentation !
Disappointing I thought overall, landlord not overfriendly I actually thought he was bar staff! Great pity as we live in Charlton it would have been nice to have a local you could pop into regularly - unfortunately I couldn't recommend it and won't be returning. Give it 6 months.....

• Visited March 2011