All reviewscoffee machinejunior suitelovely hotelpublic car parkflights of stairsmr and mrs smithinternal courtyardbar areagold hillwalk in showerroom was spaciousstayed for nightsexcellent bathroomwine listno liftold buildinglovely town
Reviewed 5 March 2011

We stayed at this lovely hotel for 3 nights and enjoyed it very much. The breakfast was really excellent, with a wide choice and beautifully presented. The bedroom we had, junior suite, was massive with a luxurious bathroom. The only downside was that the hotel was so hot, we had to have the windows wide open, this meant that we had a considerable amount of road noise (our room faced the road). The first night, I slept really badly and after that wore ear plugs! We had a really great meal in the restaurant one evening. If I stayed here again, I would ask for a room that didn't face the street.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I recently celebrated my 50th birthday with 27 members of my framily (sic) at the Hotel Grosvenor. Charlie and the team made sure we had a wonderful weekend with private dining in the stunning ballroom, fabulous food, great wine and friendly service. Suites were divine and all rooms reported as 'lovely' - although the lighting was challenging!! This is the perfect venue for grown-up celebrations (although not so ideal for little ones). The bar is very chic, cocktails delicious and breakfast the perfect 'follow-up to a great evening - add the fact that the hotel is pet friendly and it's hard to fault. We'll be back (if they'll have us!!).

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Both dinner and breakfast were excellent. The beds were comfortable and our room (not facing the main street) was quiet. If I had to be hyper-critical (and I understand this hotel is under new management, so I will be as constructive as I can) I would suggest that the rooms are slightly under furnished - our large room had a bed, one easy chair and one desk chair. The lighting in the bathroom was adequate for bathing and washing, but the mirror over the basin was unlit, making shaving and make-up a bit of a hit-and-miss affair.

One final point - the thing that brings me back, and back again to a hotel, given that the accommodation and the food is good, is the attitude of the management. The (mostly young) staff that we came into contact with were polite and enthusiastic, but the management were notable by their absence (I think I did spot someone on my one trip to 'reception' - an office off the main hallway).

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2011

My husband took me here for my birthday and it was a lovely stay. We had been upgraded to a really huge bedroom and bathroom, you could have fitted about ten people in the shower-not joking! We had a nice soak in the free standing bath and watched the tv!
We had a couple of drinks in the welcoming bar before a good meal in the restaurant. where the food was presented really well. The staff are all very friendly and service good overall. The only thing that wasn't up to our expectations was the breakfast which could be improved upon. Regardless, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and if you stay in the next couple of months, they offer good deals.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

A surprise invite from friends led us and our dog to this hotel. Having sat through huge servings of Xmas stodge we were expecting a paired down meal or two over the Xmas break. What came to table, at a very good price, turned out to be course after course of top London level cuisine. We have since found out that the chef is michelin starred and down-sizing to the country. Cannot fault the food at all - although if had to pick fault - the breakfasts were below parr - kippers over-cooked and waitress complacent.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family