“Gorgeous Rooms. Very Indulgent”
Review of The Grosvenor Arms

The Grosvenor Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shaftesbury
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Stayed for the night in a junior suite and had a very chilled and relaxing stay

The suite is really spacious and superbly equipped. The tea and coffee machine is virtually instant, as opposed to old fashioned kettle and sachet. It also boasted a top quality Iphone docking station, LCD TV by the bath and excellent bedding.

The decor is really stylish and modern, and it felt more like a London boutique hotel than being in a village in Dorset

Staff were all young, trendy and helpful

Restaurant was excellent and food was lovely, if only a litlle overpriced for such small portions (Don't go there when really hungry!) It would also benefit from discreet background music, as it lacked atmosphere when so quiet..

Cocktail bar was excellent and very relaxing

Highly recommended and would love to come back again in the summer to enjoy the sun loungers on our balcony

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 March 2011

We were working in Salisbury for one day and travelled 5 hours, therefore needed a hotel overnight. Salisbury could only offer B&B or commercial chains, therefore we looked further a field and found this absolute gem! We were able to take advantage of a very very special offer of "any room for £79.50 pppn inclusive of £25 pp towards dinner" This meant we were able to stay in the stunning and cavernous Cranbourne Suite, believe me the photographs do not do this space justice either in terms of quality or size. Will we be visiting again...absolutely!!! The rooms, bar, restaurant and service are all 1st class 5/5

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 19 March 2011

We stayed for 3 nights, using Shaftsbury as a base to explore Dorset and the South Coast. It's about an hour to Studland cove / Corfe Castle and a bit longer to Abbotsbury.

The hotel is nicely situated in the middle of Shaftsbury. There are a few spaces for parking 2 minutes away, but it's not guaranteed.

The building is beautiful, elegantly decorated with some great touches - the bar for example.

We had a junior suite upgrade which was large, had an amazing bed and stand alone roll top bath. No complaints there. I notice our room faced into a private courtyard off the back of the hotel, so was lovely and quiet. I could imagine that if you stayed in a room in the front of the hotel and don't like early mornings it would be a bit noisier. All the rooms have a modern tea/coffee maker rather than sachets, which was a nice touch.

We had supper in the hotel's restaurant on the first night and found it to be excellent. My wife had their set menu of the day (3 courses for £25) and I had Duck and a Cheeseboard. All the food was of a high standard, though very rich. A few token seasonal vegetables were the only thing that could have improved things. Breakfast was similarly good.

The wine list is extensive and many things are available by the glass - we really liked this. We also sampled a few cocktails from the bar and some prosecco.

Overall very impressed, would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2011

We stayed at this lovely hotel for 3 nights and enjoyed it very much. The breakfast was really excellent, with a wide choice and beautifully presented. The bedroom we had, junior suite, was massive with a luxurious bathroom. The only downside was that the hotel was so hot, we had to have the windows wide open, this meant that we had a considerable amount of road noise (our room faced the road). The first night, I slept really badly and after that wore ear plugs! We had a really great meal in the restaurant one evening. If I stayed here again, I would ask for a room that didn't face the street.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I recently celebrated my 50th birthday with 27 members of my framily (sic) at the Hotel Grosvenor. Charlie and the team made sure we had a wonderful weekend with private dining in the stunning ballroom, fabulous food, great wine and friendly service. Suites were divine and all rooms reported as 'lovely' - although the lighting was challenging!! This is the perfect venue for grown-up celebrations (although not so ideal for little ones). The bar is very chic, cocktails delicious and breakfast the perfect 'follow-up to a great evening - add the fact that the hotel is pet friendly and it's hard to fault. We'll be back (if they'll have us!!).

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Both dinner and breakfast were excellent. The beds were comfortable and our room (not facing the main street) was quiet. If I had to be hyper-critical (and I understand this hotel is under new management, so I will be as constructive as I can) I would suggest that the rooms are slightly under furnished - our large room had a bed, one easy chair and one desk chair. The lighting in the bathroom was adequate for bathing and washing, but the mirror over the basin was unlit, making shaving and make-up a bit of a hit-and-miss affair.

One final point - the thing that brings me back, and back again to a hotel, given that the accommodation and the food is good, is the attitude of the management. The (mostly young) staff that we came into contact with were polite and enthusiastic, but the management were notable by their absence (I think I did spot someone on my one trip to 'reception' - an office off the main hallway).

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2011

My husband took me here for my birthday and it was a lovely stay. We had been upgraded to a really huge bedroom and bathroom, you could have fitted about ten people in the shower-not joking! We had a nice soak in the free standing bath and watched the tv!
We had a couple of drinks in the welcoming bar before a good meal in the restaurant. where the food was presented really well. The staff are all very friendly and service good overall. The only thing that wasn't up to our expectations was the breakfast which could be improved upon. Regardless, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and if you stay in the next couple of months, they offer good deals.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaftesbury
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
Norfolk Royale Hotel
Norfolk Royale Hotel
#23 of 66 in Bournemouth
Harbour Heights Hotel

Been to The Grosvenor Arms? Share your experiences!