“Great weekend break”
Review of The Grosvenor Arms

The Grosvenor Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shaftesbury
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed for a long weekend at the very end of July. The hotel and Shaftesbury are both charming, and the modernisation of the hotel has been carried out imaginatively. We ate in the restaurant both nights. Both meals were excellent, even though the kitchen was coping with a big family party the second night. All the service was efficient, friendly and quick. Our only concern is that our original room allocation had a shower, not a bath tub, which was not clear from the reservation, but this was rectified very quickly and without fuss. Our bedroom could have been better with easy chairs,though the upright chairs were good for our posture, but there is a nice lounge downstairs. The window also rattled a lot when open, but this is to be expected in an old building. We also liked Shaftesbury, and the museums at the Abbey and Gold Top were both interesting.

• Stayed: July 2011
There are newer reviews for The Grosvenor Arms

Reviewed 12 August 2011

Booked by phone and was impressed with efficiency with which the booking was taken. Was offered and accepted a deluxe room on a Dinner B&B rate which seemed reasonable given that I was there on business and was probably going to eat in the restaurant anyway.

Check in was quick but would have been nice to have been warned in advance that the parking was 200 yards away in a public car park.

Room was large, king sized bed, small vanity table, smallish en-suite with shower over the bath. Lots of wasted space and no desk to work at which was irritating.

Bar is large and contemporary in style with lots of comfortable sofas and chairs. Good selection of drinks and the barman made a decent Martini. Dining room is well laid out but nothing special and the menu was reasonable but yet again nothing special. Plenty of staff for the dozen or so dining. There were only 3 others left in the restaurant when I finished my main course so it was extremely irritating to be left for 40 minutes waiting for a desert menu. Service was no better the next morning when I was the first into breakfast and still waited 20 minutes for tea and toast whilst the staff were fussing with tables.

Mentioned the above at checkout and not a word of apology. So, all in all, not quite up to boutique standards for decor or luxury standards for customer service and most definitely not for the advertised £175 per night B&B.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Man-in-a-car
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed her because of so many good reviews but were very disappointed. Rooms at the hotel are large. Bed was really comfy and the bathroom has a deep bath and rainforest shower.
However, do not stay in room 1 or 2 as they are above the bar and we experienced the thumping base of the music from there vibrating through our room until well after 11pm. I complained twice and during the second conversation was told ' I'll try but the bar is very busy!' may as well have stayed in a room above a pub for £50 a night!
Again on the morning when I complained I was told ' if we'd known it was going to be busy we would gave moved you.' notreally a solution I feel. No apology at any point!
Also be aware that any room overlooking the central terrace will also be noisy as smokers spill out of the bar for a chat.
Overall a luxury look hotel with very poor customer service.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed for 2 nights whilst attending a wedding near by. We had a standard room which comes with a Tassimo coffee machine, ipod dock and flat screen television! There were a few extras such as lip balm and calming mist by Temple Spa on the bed. The bathroom was small but had a large rainfall shower which was powerful and hot!!

The breakfast was well cooked and the dining room chairs were extremely comfortable (I know a strange thing to notice but they were!) We also tried the restaurant one evening which is not cheap but not ridiculously expensive either! The food was good with a varied choice.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and use it again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2011

One of our main concerns was that there was no parking on site although we had been assured by e mail that there was parking to the rear of the hotel. We were given a badge to park for free on a public car park at least 200 yards from the hotel.
The room was spacious and the bed comfortable but it was very hot which did not facilitate sleep. The bathroom was not very well lit and lacking some basics eg shower caps and electric shaver point.
On one night at around 00.50 all the fire alarms in the hotel were triggered and only stopped after we had physically removed part of the alarm in our room. It took some time to relax after that. We did not receive a sufficient apology from the manager who evidently did not think it was that serious a problem that every resident was disturbed with a false alarm. The hotel was full that night as a wedding party were staying.
I found the reception rooms to be cold, particulaly the restaurant. The service was fairly good and the food excellent but pricey.
Prospective visitors should be aware that there is no lift.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2011

This hotel was let down enormously by what happened to us at check out. We waited for over ten minutes for a receptionist to appear (there is no bell to summon anyone). When the bill appeared there was a charge made for drinks and service charge for the reaturant from the night before. We were on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate which allowed us £25 each to spend in the restaurant. Being at the end of our week away we couldn't face a full three courses and opted for two instead. We asked the waitress whether, because we were not having three courses, the money saved could be put towards drinks, she assured us that this would be fine. On checkout the bill contained full amount for drinks and a service charge, When I questioned this I was told the £25 covered food only, I explained that we had checked with a waitress and been told otherwise and the receptionist fetched a man in red shorts to talk to me. I assume this man was the owner from how he spoke to me, but he was not gracious enough to introduce himself nor enquire as to the nature of the problem, he simply stated the facts to me in what I felt was quite an aggressive manner. I once again explained that the waitress had told us the £25 could be spent on food and drink, but he remained firm. I asked him if he apologised for the error the waitress made and he replied "If that's what happened", clearly he doubted my word and made no attempt to smooth things over. I was then told the 'service charge' for the food was also compulsory.

If this is what the Grosvenor considers 'customer service', then I think it is no wonder the hotel and resaturant were so empty. This wrecked the last day of our honeymoon, and the worst thing was that no-one at any point apologised for the error made by the waitress who categorically stated we could spend the £25 allowance on drinks as well as food. We were made to feel like liars and I was extremely upset by the whole incident, in particular by the attitude of the owner.

In all other points the hotel was fine, the room itself did not diappoint, we had booked a Junior Suite which was very spacious with a great bathroom, freestanding roll top bath in the window with flat screen tv above, and a separate waterfall shower which was amazing. The room itself was rather bland and needed a little bit of attention to make it truly outstanding, for example the dressing table mirror had been positioned too high to be able to see in it when actually sitting at the dressing table, there was no full length mirror and the tv was too small to be seen properly from the bed. Also, given the size of the room do not feel enough was made of it, for example there was only one armchair which meant that one of us had to lie on the bed or sit on the dressing table chair to read or watch tv.

The food in the restaurant was ok, although rather overpriced, as borne out by there only being three couples in the restaurant. However the breakfast next morning was lovely and very friendly waiting staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Buttercup26_10
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Oh hail Hotel Grosvenor, this is a truly magnificant hotel.

The food will keep you coming back again and again, I particularly love the way the staff are inordinately proud of their Head Chef and kitchen team, with every good reason.

My room was large and the interiors sumptuous. My bed was absolutely enourmous and felt more like levitation than sleeping on a matress.

If great value, outstanding service and food that is beyond tantalising floats your boat, the set sail to Hotel Grosvenor, you will be oh so glad you did.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaftesbury
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
Summer Lodge
Summer Lodge
#1 of 2 in Evershot
Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel

Been to The Grosvenor Arms? Share your experiences!