Every year, the first weekend in December, my friend and I treat ourselves to a night or two night's in a boutique hotel. We check where to go based on TripAdvisor and Mr and Mrs Smith. My friend chose The Grosvenor. I will start with the postives first:
1. The staff were lovely. Helpful, friendly and every question answered quickly and with a smile
2. The beds are extremely comfortable and the pillows great.
3. Great porridge and fresh orange juice
But I'm afraid, the disappointments outweigh the postives. If it wasn't billed as a boutique, luxury hotel I wouldn't be so critical but for £145 a night I didn't expect the following:
1. A huge room with hardly any furniture in it which made it feel a bit like a glamorous youth hostel room. The flat sceen television was smaller than my PC at work and mounted in the middle of a huge bare wall. We had one tiny dressing table with no mirror (no mirrors in the entire room except for the bathroom) and chocolates that were left underneath a burning lamp so wouldn't risk eating them.
2. No hairdryer and when we called down for one, realised there was no mirror you could use while drying hair.
3. Bathroom floormat was covered in pubic hair from a previous guest
4. Food in the Greenhouse was bland and over-priced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grosvenor Arms is newly refurbished, it is traditional yet stylish, relaxed yet ‘buzzy’, and open all day. There are 16 bedrooms to choose from: cosy double, spacious double, deluxe double, balcony double, or suites – each one is beautifully appointed and furnished, decorated in a style appropriate to one of Shaftesbury’s oldest inns, but complete with the modern facilities you expect. You are always welcome, for a drink in the bar, a cup of coffee in the conservatory, or a pizza from the wood oven. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the paved courtyard is always available for an alfresco lunch or drink. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your The Grosvenor Arms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grosvenor Arms Shaftesbury, Dorset