“A bit disappointed”
Review of The Grosvenor Arms

The Grosvenor Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shaftesbury
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Every year, the first weekend in December, my friend and I treat ourselves to a night or two night's in a boutique hotel. We check where to go based on TripAdvisor and Mr and Mrs Smith. My friend chose The Grosvenor. I will start with the postives first:
1. The staff were lovely. Helpful, friendly and every question answered quickly and with a smile
2. The beds are extremely comfortable and the pillows great.
3. Great porridge and fresh orange juice

But I'm afraid, the disappointments outweigh the postives. If it wasn't billed as a boutique, luxury hotel I wouldn't be so critical but for £145 a night I didn't expect the following:
1. A huge room with hardly any furniture in it which made it feel a bit like a glamorous youth hostel room. The flat sceen television was smaller than my PC at work and mounted in the middle of a huge bare wall. We had one tiny dressing table with no mirror (no mirrors in the entire room except for the bathroom) and chocolates that were left underneath a burning lamp so wouldn't risk eating them.
2. No hairdryer and when we called down for one, realised there was no mirror you could use while drying hair.
3. Bathroom floormat was covered in pubic hair from a previous guest
4. Food in the Greenhouse was bland and over-priced.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Twiz72
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Dear Twiz72.
Thank you for your recent review of The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury.
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and would love the opportunity to talk this through with you in person.
Please could you email me your contact details together with the date and room in which you stayed and I would be delighted to contact you.
My email address is gm@hotelgrosvenor.com
Thank you.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

Last minute booking to attend a nearby meeting. Room furnished nicely with firm bed, and well equipped with a coffee pod machine wi-fi and I-pod dock. All used to the max. Bathroom well appointed although no toilet roll holder due to its configuration. Shower was good although it took some time for this to run hot in the evening, the run through time was better in the morning.

Restaurant was good, nice ambience and english menu. I had Pigeon with wild mushrooms, which I have not had for a number of years, and it was great. I did however wish that I had gone for the steak that the guy on the table next to me was having which looked and smelt wonderful.

Breakfast again was very good and was individually cooked. As I was not in my normal hurry this was fine, but on another day may have induced stress!

I would suggest this hotel is best for breaks with your partner , and it has a nice weekend sort of feel to it. If I am over this way again , I will certainly look to return

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear Whitchurchwinger,

Thank you so much for your recent review of The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us made full use of the amenities in the bedroom.
I have passed your comments regarding the breakfast and food in general to our teams who are as pleased as I am that you enjoyed them.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grosvenor Hotel shortly.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

i booked this trip as a weekend away with my boyfriend . Had already been made aware that Mr and Mrs Smith Hotels were excellent for quality and comfort with a boutique style. This was certainly true of the Hotel Grosvenor . The service is both friendly and professional and from just walking through the courtyard entrance you know that the quality will be of the highest standard. Room and food is exceptional . We can highly recommend the dinner menu , which was not only most satisfying but also served perfectly presented and wonderful value for money. Definitely recommended for a perfect restful weekend.

Room Tip: Avoid second floor for any that find stairs a struggle.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear Southwood_11,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on this site.
I have passed your comments on to the team who are as pleased as I am that you and your partner enjoyed a restful weekend.
One of our main aims is offer a relaxed but professional service so I am delighted to hear we were successful at playing our small part.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grosvenor in the near future.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

Has got really great things going for it: fantastic location right in the middle of gorgeous market town with free parking (with hotel pass) in nearby car park, friendly staff (even the kind cleaner offered to carry our bags as we checked out), excellent shower/bath (in room 15) and really terrific food. We had dinner on both nights and enjoyed great steak, game pie etc with perfectly done veg. Excellent breakfasts too.
Trip only slightly marred by broken window (luckily we're fresh air fiends but bad luck if you're not), broken room phone (swiftly sorted by efficient staff) and lack of any kind of info provided in room - especially about irritating drinks machine. Call me old fashioned but what's wrong with a kettle? Iron out these few niggles and will be a perfect place to stay. And we were so impressed with the food and friendliness we'll go back anyway.

Room Tip: Had a peek through doors while cleaners in action and all looked lovely. One on the front had a bath...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2012

Dear fabchicktraveller,

Thank you for your recent review of The Grosvenor and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I have passed your comments regarding the food and friendly staff on to our teams who are as pleased as I am that you commented on them.

You will be pleased to know that we have now purchased some kettles and have now signed off the in room information which we envisage to be in all romms by the start of December.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grosvenor in the near future

Reviewed 12 November 2012

I have rated the hotel as very good, but in reality i would say good (but better than average!)

The hotel is in a great location in the centre of town with parking accross the road in the public carpark which you get a pass for. Very nicely decorated. Lovely comfy bed. Took a while to work out coffee machine! Nice shower and products. Our room was on the front of the hotel which I thought might be an issue due to noise - but shaftesbury is pretty quiet and we had a good nights sleep.

We were celebrating our anniversary and i found the hotel on another website which showed pictures of a fab bar which i imagined myself sipping a pre-dinner cocktail in - however sadly the bar has been closed (which the GM did tell us that they have asked the afore mentioned website to update their details). I would say whoever makes their cocktails needs a lesson as the mojito was below average, however the food was simply, tasty and lovely. Waiting staff could do with a bit of training - our waitress struggled pouring our fairly expensive bottle of wine and splashed it on the table.

The GM told us they are planning a fair amount of work in the new year creating some more public spaces etc which I think will really tip this hotel into the excellent standard.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

We spent two excellent nights, eating in the very good resturant on the first night. The room was very large and the beds very comfortable. Breakfast was a pleasure and the staff were all polite, pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: We had room 2 which is big and comfortable. I'm sure the others are as well !!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Keithh H
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Lovely hotel, very friendly and helpful staff, great food, clean and comfortable rooms - excellent for time away. Would be helpful to find an information guide in the room but otherwise no complaints.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaftesbury
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel
Norfolk Royale Hotel
Norfolk Royale Hotel
#23 of 67 in Bournemouth

Been to The Grosvenor Arms? Share your experiences!