“A lovely stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shaftesbury
Leicester, United Kingdom
“A lovely stay”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We stayed here in October 2012 (sorry for the late review!). The hotel was lovely. Very welcoming staff. The room (Room 14) had plenty of space, very comfy bed, with a fantastic roll topped bath and excellent shower. We stayed at the front of the hotel and I'd noticed a few comments about the noise but we didn't experience any problems. The TV in the room is rather tiny but we didn't plan to spend our time in Shaftesbury watching TV so it wasn't a problem. The town itself is lovely. I recommend popping over to the tourist office and picking up a walking map to take in the sights. The food from the restaurant was amazing. All in all a really lovely stay. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Dear Hen77,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury on this site.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay in room 14 and managed to make the most of the facilities.
I have passed your comments regarding the food quality on to our team who are as happy as I am that you enjoyed it, be sure to come and check out the new restaurant and bar once complete!
Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury very soon.
With kind regards
David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2013

The Grosvenor was very impressive from start to finish. Lovely Georgian building which has been decorated and furnished with a modern twist. We found the staff to be very friendly and welcoming. The car park was only 100 metres away and the hotel gave us a permit for the weekend. We booked room 9 (junior suite) and it was as quiet as we had hoped. The room was large with a lovely roll top bath in the alcove of the room and a very smart shower room (one slight niggle - lacking a shaver point). Bed was very large and comfy with featherdown duvet and pillows, although room could have done with another armchair. There was even a balcony with seating and a sun lounger - probably would be lovely in the summer months rather than in the snow in January! Good little Bosch Tassimo machine and chocolates were a nice touch on arrival in the room. Breakfast was excellent and the sofa area next to the dining area was v comfy to read the Sunday papers. Shame the restaurant was closed for refurbishment whilst we were there but we were prewarned about this before arrival. Overall the hotel was excellent.

Would recommend the Two Brewers and Chutneys for food. The Mitre was good for a drink and quite busy on a Friday night in January. Excellent cheese counter at Turnbulls.

Room Tip: Book room 9 as rooms facing into the courtyard are quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Dear Anita,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on this site.
The team and I are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your comments regarding the friendliness of the team have been passed on.
The weather was certainly interesting that weekend but Im sure you will agree it made for some breathtaking views from the top of Gold Hill.
Room 9 is a lovely Junior Suite and Im so pleased that you enjoyed it, you are correct, the balcony is fantastic in summer!
Just one small point for reference on your future visits, the shaver point is tucked away under the sink...but sometimes its nice not to shave at the weekends!
I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury in the near future and be sure to come and check out the newly refurbished restaurant once complete.
With kind regards

David Knight
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Despite the restaurant being closed, I was extremely impressed with my stay at the Grosvenor. The staff were incredibly professional and kind, the room was superb (with the exception of a few things that could be easily remedied) and Shaftsbury was a wonderful town to spend a weekend in. We stayed in the Cranborne Suite which was wonderful - enormous shower and bath, huge comfy bed, ipod dock to play music in and a fireplace. The only thing they could change is to put a loveseat or a couch of somekind rather than the recliner as the space seems a little empty at the moment. The shower had a tiny leak but otherwise I cannot fault it at all. WONDERFUL PLACE FOR A ROMANTIC WEEKEND!

Room Tip: If you can, definitely book the Cranborne Suite! It was a wonderful romantic setting for a weekend a...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear "noheelsnecessary"

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on this site.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your romantic weekend in The Cranbourne Suite, it is a lovely room.
Your comments regarding the team have been passed on and they are as pleased as I am that we managed to make a difference to your stay.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury in the near future.
Kind regards
David
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 6 January 2013

So many smaller-town hotels leave something to be desired, but not the Grosvenor on our visit. We decided to have a Christmas meal and overnight stay with a group of friends and from the start the staff couldn't do enough to help (even welcoming us at the door of the hotel). The Georgian building which houses the hotel is beautiful and full of 18th Century elegance, sensitively updated with opulent furnishings. Room sizes were fantastic.

We booked the private dining room and were well catered for, the three courses being seamlessly served and freshly prepared. Of particular note, the mozzarella and parma ham salad (like it so often is) could have been bland, but was richly dressed and full of flavour.

Even when we drifted in dribs and drabs down to breakfast over a number of hours, there was never any hint of rushing us and we felt well looked after throughout. Good value too with a great breakfast.

Would recommend the Grosvenor for any occasion, especially with the good location near the main street and Gold Hill for those wishing to re-live the Hovis advert! And well done to the staff, you've pulled off what many hotels strive to do and that's make guests feel like you genuinely want their stay to be great.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear Examino,
Thank y ou so much for taking the time to review The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury on this site.
I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed their Christmas meal and stay with us.
I have passed on your comments to the team here who are as pleased as I am that you enjoyed your time with us.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury in the near future.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Me and my partner stayed at the Grosvenor hotel for one night . When we arrived we were welcomed by a smiling receptionist, who was helpful. We went to our room expecting the average but this was more, room 9, lovely large room very clean with balcony. Large bath room with shower and a bath within the bed room. (very pretty) The Hotel is small but gives it a homely feel. The restaurant was quiet and the waitress was helpful with the menu. The food is what you would expect in a village in the country, Rabbit, pheasant but also local. My partner had the steak and I had the Charcuterie to start. We relaxed later in the snug and both talked about how the hotel excelled our expectations

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dee L
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
Dear hard2please70..
Thank you so much for your recent review of The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury.
The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
I have passed on your kind comments regarding the receptionist who is pleased that she made a difference to your stay.
We are fortunate that we are located in the heart of Dorset and therefore have access to some of the highest quality local game in the country so it would be a travesty not to include it on our menus. We are of course very happy that you enjoyed it.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Grosvenor shortly.
London
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Every year, the first weekend in December, my friend and I treat ourselves to a night or two night's in a boutique hotel. We check where to go based on TripAdvisor and Mr and Mrs Smith. My friend chose The Grosvenor. I will start with the postives first:
1. The staff were lovely. Helpful, friendly and every question answered quickly and with a smile
2. The beds are extremely comfortable and the pillows great.
3. Great porridge and fresh orange juice

But I'm afraid, the disappointments outweigh the postives. If it wasn't billed as a boutique, luxury hotel I wouldn't be so critical but for £145 a night I didn't expect the following:
1. A huge room with hardly any furniture in it which made it feel a bit like a glamorous youth hostel room. The flat sceen television was smaller than my PC at work and mounted in the middle of a huge bare wall. We had one tiny dressing table with no mirror (no mirrors in the entire room except for the bathroom) and chocolates that were left underneath a burning lamp so wouldn't risk eating them.
2. No hairdryer and when we called down for one, realised there was no mirror you could use while drying hair.
3. Bathroom floormat was covered in pubic hair from a previous guest
4. Food in the Greenhouse was bland and over-priced.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Twiz72
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear Twiz72.
Thank you for your recent review of The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury.
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and would love the opportunity to talk this through with you in person.
Please could you email me your contact details together with the date and room in which you stayed and I would be delighted to contact you.
My email address is gm@hotelgrosvenor.com
Thank you.
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Last minute booking to attend a nearby meeting. Room furnished nicely with firm bed, and well equipped with a coffee pod machine wi-fi and I-pod dock. All used to the max. Bathroom well appointed although no toilet roll holder due to its configuration. Shower was good although it took some time for this to run hot in the evening, the run through time was better in the morning.

Restaurant was good, nice ambience and english menu. I had Pigeon with wild mushrooms, which I have not had for a number of years, and it was great. I did however wish that I had gone for the steak that the guy on the table next to me was having which looked and smelt wonderful.

Breakfast again was very good and was individually cooked. As I was not in my normal hurry this was fine, but on another day may have induced stress!

I would suggest this hotel is best for breaks with your partner , and it has a nice weekend sort of feel to it. If I am over this way again , I will certainly look to return

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Whitchurchwinger,

Thank you so much for your recent review of The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us made full use of the amenities in the bedroom.
I have passed your comments regarding the breakfast and food in general to our teams who are as pleased as I am that you enjoyed them.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grosvenor Hotel shortly.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaftesbury
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
The Pembroke Arms Hotel
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#1 of 2 in Blandford Forum

Been to The Grosvenor Arms? Share your experiences!