“very helpful”
Review of The Grosvenor Arms

The Grosvenor Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shaftesbury
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I had to cancel my stay here unfortunately due to my friend being ill. Although the cancellation was short notice the management and the booking agent(Mr & Mrs Smith) could not have been more understanding and I was given a full refund. Communication before the cancellation from the hotel was also excellent. I would certainly make an effort to book here again another time if the politeness and understanding of the management are any indication of what to expect inside.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed here for one night in the premium room (no.2). Lovely large space, massive bed (super king) and soft and comfy real pillows. Waterfall shower was very powerfull which is always appreciated. Din't eat in the evening but the breakfast was top drawer, made with proper ingredients. Lovely feels to the hotel and perfect in the centre of a beautiful town. My only minor cristism would be to replace the fancy tea/coffee machine with a bog standard kettle.

Room Tip: Get a room looking onto the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikesunshine
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Dear Mikesunshine,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury on this site.
It is always nice to receive positive reviews and I have passed your comments regarding the top drawer breakfast on to our kitchen team who are as pleased as I am that you enjoued it.

unfortunately the coffee machines are here to stay Im afraid, however I would be pleased to supply a kettle for your room on your next visit, just let us know when your coming and we'll take care of it for you.

Thank you once again for your reveiw of The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftebury and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Great hotel with a very well designed contemporary interior.

Stayed in a superior room, which was worth the extra to have some more space and a very large comfortable bed.

Staff very friendly and great service.

Breakfast was wonderful.

Would high recommend it.

My only comment is that the radiator in room 2 was either off or 100% so difficult to get a reasonably room temperature.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Nick1234uk,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury on tis site.
Im so pleassed that you enjoyed you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed your comments regarding the friendly service onto the team here who have found them to be greatly motivational.

You'll be pleased to know we have now fixed the radiator in room 2 so the temperature is easliy managed.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 24 March 2013

this is a beautifully designed boutique hotel in the centre of Shaftesbury, a few metres away for Gold Hill and a walk away from anywhere worth seeing in Town. the service we had was very friendly and the rooms are well designed and modern. overall we had a very relaxing stay at the hotel, everything ran smoothly and for the price it was well worth it.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Dear Richard,

Thankyou so much for taking the time to review The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury on this site.
It is always rewarding to receive positive feedback and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have passed on your comments regarding the service and friendliness to the team who are as pleased as I am that you mentioned them.
Thank you once again and I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to The Grosvenor Hotel, shaftesbury in the near future.
kind regards

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Ah the Grovesnor; just a coincidence it shares the name with the hopeless establishment in Torquay featured on the TV show ‘The Hotel’? I think not.

Well, what a shambles and I’ve not even got to stay! We made what some may call, a special reservation for a two night stay, a ‘mini moon’, including our wedding night. We carefully chose the Grovesnor after looking on line and then taking a peek whilst visiting Shaftesbury.

I then heard through family that the hotel has changed hands, so, sensibly, went to visit over Christmas and met the manager in person. My booking had been lost, but he remade it, and we went on to discuss the room we’d be staying in.

Fast forward to this week, and we require another room for a guest. So we telephone, but wait! – the receptionist informs us that the hotel will be closed for refurbishment and our booking has been cancelled. Why hadn’t we been told? we ask – we receive a slippery response between: we have tried to call you/ email you, it’s not me doing it so I don’t know (oh the professionalism!), and we’re working our way through a list.

So I ask for the manager to call me. Can you imagine the message – we’ve got a bride who has just found out her two night wedding break has been cancelled and she hadn’t been informed – you’d tread carefully right? Oh no, not at the Grovesnor! The manger metaphorically got on his rubber boots to wade on in and stir it up. Did he call with apologies and a solution; an alternative room in a lovely hotel? Don’t be silly! (although he later informed me that they could of (should of) done that). No, he called with excuses and an increasingly patronising tone and skilfully managed to wind me up even more! So what’s the story now? They are working through a list to call people and let them know their reservations are cancelled. So I ask; as it’s a wedding booking, couldn’t they have called us as a priority – our invites have now gone out (ironically yesterday) and we’ve recommended all our guests stay in Shaftesbury as that’s where we thought we’d be? And here is the cherry on the icing of the Grovesnor experience “our booking is no more important than any other booking.” It was like a red flag to a bull. Surely any decent hotelier understands the logistics involved in a wedding and, well, that a wedding is a very special occasion. Of course all bookings are important, but surely you push that little bit extra for a wedding. A call would have taken 2 minutes.

I think of the TV show Claridges, and that amazing and gentle hotel manager, Thomas Kochs, whose ethos is that ‘Special occasions require special effort.’ Not so at the Grovesnor in Shaftesbury!!! The manager there knows better (!) I warn you brides; be careful with this place, it may look fancy but scratch the surface and they don’t hold pretty attitudes. I’d also warn customers generally, this place seems to be going through a lot of changes and in my experience bookings seem to get lost/ cancelled. I also wouldn’t recommend making a complaint; the manager isn’t competent in dealing with them and for me it wasn’t worth it as in all honesty he just upset me.

We’ve since booked a beautiful room at the Lamb at Hindon. The downside is that we’re away from our guests, who will be in Shaftesbury, but on the upside booking at The Lamb was a remarkably smooth process, they have been very accommodating to the fact that it is a special break and after my experience with the Grovesnor, I wouldn’t stay there if you paid me to.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank rachelcase
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Dear rachelcase,

We always welcome feedback in any form, especially constructive thoughts from which we can all learn.

As I mentioned during our call, this was never going to be an easy or enjoyable conversation for anyone and it certainly proved to be the case due to the obviously emotive subject.

When the staff were informed of the closure of the hotel for major refurbishment, we immediately thought of our guests and started calling them to inform of the process and offer suitable alternatives. As mentioned, this is a time consuming process and carried out in a chronological order so when your fiancée called we took the opportunity to inform him then. It is unfortunate that we had not reached your booking on the list by that time which Im sure added to the situation but as I mentioned, all our bookings are treated with the same respect and professionalism and certainly not because your booking is less important.

I do accept that this a far from perfect situation for your wedding and would like to genuinely add to my many apologies made during the call.

When responding to reviews I have always taken the view that more can achieved by contacting the guest personally and rectifying any issues, it certainly seems to help if there are many disputed elements of the review and it clears the air quite nicely also. There some occasions that this does represent the best course of action and some comments made during our call have led me to believe it might be better if I respond openly this time.

I am truly sorry that the decision has been made to close the hotel and it has affected your plans and even more sorry that we could not reach an amicable conclusion to our conversation, this was clearly not my intention when I called and I genuinely hope that your wedding day goes to plan and you and your fiancée enjoy the day and a long and happy lifer together.

Kind regards
David Knight

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel with work at the end of January amidst very heavy snowfall. I was caught in my car in the snow on the way over from Cornwall and was struggling to make the hotel in time, but I had a call from David to check I was ok and that if I didn't make it he wouldn't charge me, he just hoped I was safe. He then proceeded to give me his mobile and said to call if I did make it and he would make sure they were ready for me. I finally made it at 1am and on phoning David he greeted me at the door, took my cases out of the car for me so I didn't have to get out in the snow, and then once I had parked, had a cold beer waiting for me on the house. After a hugely stressful journey this service couldn't have been more welcome and was hugely appreciated.

I slept very well in the modern, chic appointed room, which also had a coffee machine and lovely walk in shower as well. Breakfast was also lovely with a great assortment of fresh fruit and cooked to order hit dishes. The hotel is very modern, has lots of nice sitting areas and is right in the centre of Shaftesbury, so perfect for location. Service goes a huge way when you are staying away and I would certainly reccomend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in or around Shaftesbury. I will certainly be back for a visit with my wife to the hotel in the future, when it's not snowing!

• Stayed: January 2013
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Dear Luigi2008,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, however brief it was!
The weather was truly awful and it must have been a dreadful journey for you.
Your comments on the service are very much appreciated and these are the standards of genuine hospitality that we aim for so Im delighted that you enjoyed them.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

We arrived on the last day before the Hotel was taken over by new Management and subject to major refurbishment. We were impressed by the entrance but dismayed by the Reception where we stood, looked upon by a staff member propped against the window and the Manager working at a desk made of a door resting on trestles.No seat or invitation to be seated for the customer! We were ready to leave when we were told the room rate which was very reasonable (may have increased?). We had difficulty negotiating flights of stairs, a passageways interrupted by barely distinguishable steps, over which I nearly tripped, to a floor not served by an elevator. The room on first impression was delightfully furnished but cramped for space. We had to ask for an additional chair which was lacking that did not help the space. The plug for my electric razor, when I found it, was under the washbasin. To get into the bath for a shower was to risk life and limb as it was more that a short step up and what seemed an even longer step down. The Manager assured us that all these matters were in hand.
The public areas were well detailed in a modern fashion but lacked ambiance and warmth. The Dining room had a very good menu and wine list. However, half way through the meal I left my wife and had to dash to the bathroom. My wife came up to the bedroom after she finished her main course (she did not suffer any GI problems) and reported my condition to the Receptionist. I suffered from stomach pains and G.I. all night.What I had of the meal was well presented and tasted freshly prepared and authentic to the Menu description. Next morning I went to the local pharmacy and took medication that cleared my problem during the day. I mentioned this to the Manager who made no attempt to recompense for the incomplete meal. Complimentary Parking is in Public Car park which negotiating a busy blind corner with luggage.

Room Tip: Avoid the front room looking on to the street. Try to get a room served by the elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2013

Dear fentumew

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury following your stay in October.
We genuinely appreciate all feedback and we are pleased that the you made both positive and constructive comments from which we can all learn.
Having said that I would be delighted to discuss some of these points as they appear to be inconsistent with our records, so an opportunity to clarify these together would seem appropriate.
My email address is gm@hotelgrosvenor.com and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
I sincerely hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back the The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaftesbury
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
#4 of 66 in Bournemouth
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#1 of 2 in Blandford Forum

Been to The Grosvenor Arms? Share your experiences!